What's behind your artist name?

this is probably the most legit back story of them all tbh :stuck_out_tongue: <3

I’m tryna be cute and clever, and to disassociate myself from my previous artist name. Surprisingly nobody has ever had the gall to be as annoyingly meta ironic as me, according to discogs and spotify.

I was going by the Artist name lvrgrl
I really liked lover boy from the 80s and it seemed trendy and cool but I outgrew it quick. It didn’t feel authentic to me and I’m not a girl anymore. haha so now I go by my real name
Cassandra Gibbs

Mine is very stupid. I was working in a pub, and this really nasty flu went around each of the staff in turn. Me and a friend were trying who had brought it in to the pub in the first place and we established it was in fact me that was patient zero. I liked the way it sounded so I adopted it as an artist name.

FLUQS
devoted to sleeping apps, heraclitus, and richard d james’ dyslexia

He’s dyslexic? Where’d you hear this?

I’ve read a book series about painters. There was one about Miró. When he lived in Paris, his home was at Rue Blomet street. So I mixed up the words of Rue Blomet and then the result is: Reuvbolmet.

Started out as a reference to weed, but I tell everyone it’s because making music is my medicine. One time I (regrettably) played music at a wookfest and everyone knew what it really meant. A random guy gave me some shrooms just because of it too lmao

Back in the day mostly the police.

A way way long time ago, like college days, I was inspired by Sonic Youth and wrote a few songs/“poems” by cutting out words or phrases from magazines or whatever and putting them together sort of stream of consciousness, then cutting that up and doing it all over again.

There was one line that I liked that I thought made a lot more sense and inline with what I was then doing. It was also not a ridiculous ripoff of an Atari Teenage Riot song or something, so that was also a plus.

I’ve kept it out of sheer laziness, and also I’m not 100% sold on the idea of using my real name to release music, but I’m thinking about it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My artist name Roboticist stems from my preferred style of producing, with technologic highs and syncopated complex motion.

So… is it Winds like like air blowing from the four cardinals? or Winds like a mountain road?

Just curious :thinking:

Neither. Andrew Winds isn’t my artist name, it’s my real name.

But it’s pronounced wends, as in moving air.

Aha!

When I first joined the forum (before the Big Crash) I used my real name… Mark Ames . Until I realized everyone had these cool alter egos. I felt a little self conscious about that but also felt like “whatever… so I’m different.”

Then I needed a name for my new Instagram account that is all about what happens in the studio. So I started using 1roomstudio on the forum… and other places.

When this thread appeared I said something like “it’s not my artist name… its the name of my studio.” I dunno…I’m beginning to think it might be my artist name… :thinking:

It seems that your artist name chose you. It started as something practical to describe your Instagram page but evolved into something more. Interesting.

Yeah… it’s organic… I like that :sunglasses:

I picked my name Melted_Self because i thought it sounded cool… and the music i make tends to be somewhat warped/deconstructed/melted. On some level i assume there is a nod to ego dissolution

See…I went the other way around.
Precrash I was “Stumps” (an old name that comes from the name of a pack of smokes in a drawing in the 2nd edition of the PNP RPG Shadowrun), and Postcrash I switched to reality because I stopped using fake names on the internet. It just didn’t seem needed anymore like it was in the 90’s. Even if you use a fake name now, if someone wants to find your info, they can. It’s usually not hard.

And I relate to my real name better.
My artist name just take my initials and makes a mirror because I like symmetry.
ARJRA

Cheers,
Jayson

I used Azul for a while
But it was shit
And my life went to shit
Then came Negazul