The Hardware Megathread

Lol diodes LOOK AT THAT TILING!

Opening stuff up is fun. I don’t do it unless I need to, but I build my own PCs, and if you can do that and use the same common sense with regards to ESD and keeping everything inside clean, then you can play around in most electronics (that I’ve come across anyways).

What gets me is the number of thru-hole parts. You just don’t expect it in one of the great digital synths.

Also, are all those transformers just hanging out at the left the power supply? That can be, like… dangerous, no?

Building PCs is lego with power cables, has been for years. Almost zero tech-know needed.

Still better than off-the-shelf crappers though, you get what you want inside the budget you can pay for but its been a long time since there was much cost saving overall. I’ll still always do it though.

Laptops remain as ever just lol. For Apple fan bois sneering that includes most of the kit you paid over the odds for :smiley:

Dangerous !!! i have no idea :grinning:

But its worked ok for 19 years and i’m sure it will still be working ok when i’m long gone.

I just replaced a few dodgy potentiometers in my Virus Classic desktop. I can tell you one thing, that ribbon cable on the bottom was a bitch to get out, initially i was pulling so hard that I was scared. Gave up that madness and ended up using a tiny flat head screw driver to sort of wedge it out.

Replaced the battery during the same bench time.

Its a good as new, minus some cosmetic issues I received it with.

:edit: i also REALLY like how the power switch leads are both RED. WTF where they thinking?

I was looking at Elektron Model: Cycles again and I think I’ve been viewing the Cycles and Samples as a pair all wrong. Previously I’d viewed the Cycles as redundant because the voices/machines were mostly percussion based. But what if, and my god is this not a genius revelation, I used the Cycles as my drum machine and the Samples for most else? That is $600 for two machines of Elektron goodness that I scratch so many of my itches.

I think I’ll give one a go once anyone has any : )

ope! pre ordered a Model Cycles… : ( : ) <3

Fuck it…the Cycles is the new Electribe ER 1…so much undredone sweaty dance music inside the Samples+Cycles combo…Plus Mono Station

2 reds, its like a bomb disposal scenario

you’ll enjoy it, great machine

upon waking I’m keeping my pre-order in place…I really do think the Cycles could be the new Korg ER-1…which is one of my favorite “cheap” drum machines of all time…last night I almost impulse bought a stupidly priced NOS ER-1 MKII but decided the Cycles made more sense.

I have been thinking the same thing…damn your inspirational purchasing!

I’m getting a new graphics card for my desktop, on the topic of building our own computers.

I think one of the biggest advantages for building one’s own computer is selection of exactly what you want, and being able to cut costs in some areas in order to fit your budget, rather than going off what’s available through a distributor.

It IS really easy putting computers together, as @Roo_Stercogburn mentioned, basically Lego with power cables. The actual installation is simple, just plug like sized cables and ports together. Be careful of ESD so you don’t fry your CPU. Make sure to use thermal paste on your CPU (most CPU’s will come with a packet anyway).

The only tricky part is making sure everything’s compatible before you buy the parts. That and if you build a small computer it can be tricky getting wires plugged in but that’s more of an assembly issue rather than a real technical issue

Knowing how much power you really need can save you from purchasing PSU’s that are way too powerful for your setup, most computers really don’t take much power unless you have some crazy gaming system or you’re doing a lot of overclocking.

But yeah. I just upgraded my graphics card because I’ve been playing games and was turning stuff down, so I figured it was time for a upgrade. I ended up getting an RX 5700 XT, which should be arriving tomorrow!!! I also upgraded my PSU because mine was a little on the light side, and wanted to make sure I wasn’t maxing out my PSU.

here’s my new graphics card: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

One thing I don’t understand is how a particular graphics card is different across different manufacturers. Like, I used to think, for example, a Radeon RX 5700 XT was a very specific card, but apparently, MSI, ASRock, and other manufacturers all have a Radeon RX 5700 xt just with their own brand on it. So how do those differ?

So the GPU and memory and busses are specced by AMD, who also pays to have the chips manufactured. AMD is also responsible for software integration, so making sure that their chips work with windows and with various games in the form of drivers. Then AMD turns around and sells those chips (and maybe the memory as well in certain cases) to what are called “board partners”. These are the Asus, Asrock, MSI, EVGA, Sapphire, etcs of the world. They take the GPU, the memory, and AMD’s specs for busses, and add their own power delivery and cooling systems to it. The board partners then sell this to you as the end product.

ahhh I see. So when you’re choosing a brand of GPU to buy, if you’ve decided on AMD vs. Nvidia on whatever card, is there any deviation in performance from different suppliers?

Absolutely. They’re based off the same basic design, but the specifics of the board down to the actual PCB and ancillary stuff like power distribution, cooling, etc are specific to the manufacturer. Furthermore, specific cards will be factory overclocked using binned chips that are tested at those frequencies.

It’s sort of like

and

are built on the exact same chassis, but aren’t even close to the same car.

Ah man. Dug the model samples out today to try and get something going for the current comp. I really can’t say enough good things about the model samples. Sure it is limited. And once again I say, it is the new Electribe sampler we deserved but Korg couldn’t give us. I’ve got a main riff down for a Jungle track and have two voices left. I mean, it sounds pretty 90s but this is no problem for me.

I guess it depends on what your goals are, but if you want to make sweaty basement techno, highly recommended.

Oh, you got it already?
Or was it the m:c you were ordering?
I can’t remember, either way those 2 seem cool! How does it handle melodic stuff?