The Hardware Megathread

Oh, the micro freak just got a firmware update with new features it looks like.

I’m going to take a serious look at the Microfreak, but all this DJing lately has be wanting another CDJ and a 3 channel mixer. But either of those by themselves is twice the $ as a MicroFreak.

@canecreek we want a secret IDMf hardware thread sneak peak at that track!

2.0 or an even newer one?

Arturia MCC has crashed every time I tried to apply the 2.0 firmware to my Microfreak, so I never bothered. Thankfully it works perfectly with my Matrixbrute, so I’m happy enough I suppose.

Yes they seem to have a queer update lark, My Arturia Keystep wouldn’t accept that last update they did which was full of enhancements, tried installing via Mac and PC.

I guess its 2.0. Wasn’t following sorry it’s old news
Is the microfreak poly? It has a chord mode it seems.

Nah, 4 voice “paraphonic”. Independent amp envelopes through a single filter. Put an LFO on the filter though and you really can’t tell there’s only one, just becomes amp envelopes going through the filter that’s always moving.

it will be kinda chill out, ill post it when its done hopefully this week, nothing ground breaking its only a PSS-680 :joy:

I may cheat and add some shortwave radio recordings, I’m really getting into short wave at the moment after buying a cheap little Tecsun R9012 10-band short wave radio, its a sample fodder paradise, a gift that just keeps giving…

I haven’t been able to get something I liked from the Chord oscillator but the new ‘Noise’ oscillator is beautiful. A layer of noise with sample reduction and a layer of waveform.
I was asking if it’s a new update as apparently Arturia have more oscillators coming.

Just heard about that noise oscillator update yesterday, go to hear they claim theres more cool updates to come too.

it been a bit harder for me to jump on the wagon as i already own braids.

Anyone here have a Toraiz SP-16…I’m looking at it because I can sync with my Pioneer dj setup which doesn’t use MIDI. I don’t know anything but the basic feature set.

From the little I’ve read it seems like a simple mpc type thing, with a focus on live playing, exactly like you say with truntables

About to watch some YT vids. Even though pricey, was kinda hoping it would be a more simple, focused on performance rather than full production.

From what I remember hearing of it, it was.

Yo, RFJ just turned me on to this new app which I think I’ll defo be picking up. Seems interesting.

http://www.beepstreet.com/ios/drambo

If you read about the Toriaz on geaeslutz they really rave about it. Back when I was in the MPC game I was having a look at them. The amount of love for that machine really surprised me. Not sure what it is about the featureset that sets it apart but the box definitely has a strong cult following.

That’s cool, I’ll check there then too. I know for me I can potentially forgive a lot b/c it is one of the only pieces of gear that uses Pioneer Link, their proprietary sync/file sharing protocol over CAT5 ethernet cable. Which means you can sync pitch and BPM to their CDJs etc.

How do you like the combination of the Akai with the Analog heat?

Meh, I find it hard to justify the heat tbh, it’s great and all, but I tend to like a minimum of gear and the heat was too much for me, compared to what it did. I much prefer the efficiency of doing that shit itb. And I never got the software to work properly.

Sat in the Sun with wife and thought id open up the ‘Access Virus C’ to check all is well as i dropped it last week whilst racking it up, one of the end plates had bent away from the chassis due to the impact, just a matter of physically bending the metal frame back into place. For people who are terrified of opening their hardware as you can see the internal battery is easy to change, simply remove 6 screws on the back plate and your ‘in like flynn’ :grinning:

Amazing looking at that board and thinking it dominated dance/trance music for over a decade, and still a beast today.