The Hardware Megathread

heh, it pays to live in Germany when it comes to Waldorf stuff. That thing is 749 Euros for me. https://www.thomann.de/de/waldorf_stvc.htm

I have seen a bunch of Blofelds also on the used market…as it seems to be a solid forum favorite I have been considering picking one up down the road. about 400€ is all I needs.

Leaked…
Model:Cycles
6 track FM groove box

No wonder the thread on Elektronauts is now blown up to over 2k posts. Haven’t read it there yet but someone also posted about it on Instagram.
Googling Model Cycles reveals a wealth of info now.

I’m beginning to wonder now if these “leaks” are all apart of Elektron’s marketing plan. As long as I’ve been following their releases it seems like the last several have been leaked beforehand, going back to analog heat. Either that or it’s just impossible to keep things under wraps here in the internet age.

They struck a really good balance with the Sample as far as the parameter’s they chose. I’m interested but I will reserve my opinion until we have the final, official version. I need to know what the limitations are to feel out of they struck that balance again.

I also absolutely think, as you suggested, the recent Samples price drop was to get more people potentially invested in Cycles.

This almost sold me one…

This is a weird video, for my taste it goes from ‘generic, super clean and boring’ to 'now that’s more like it…"

I only watched about half of it. I just think he’s a genius with the way he plays these boxes. I it’s an interesting machine but it would take the average user more time and practice than they would ever have to get to that level.

didn’t think id be wanting a Model cycles but i do,

Don’t know why a lot of reviewers dodge show casing reverb, at least Loopop let me hear the lovely long reverb,

like how you can choose any machine for any track, like 6 chord machines etc if i wanted.

Don’t like the TRS midi lark but least they cover type A & type B standards.

The Elektron online shop sold out a few hours ago.

Here’s their at a glance vid.

Edit - it definitely looks interesting.

That $200-$350 range for synths has gotten really cool the past few years. A lot of fun can be had in that range without ever needing to go for anything more expensive, as I’m sure being able to get an Elektron box in that range shows. Not my bag, but impressive on Elektron’s part.

Hrm…I kinda thought it might end up being a “pre set” machine. And the machines are mostly percussion based. I was hoping for something a bit more synth-y as six tracks on the Model:Samples has me well covered for percussion. This time, for me, I think it might be wiser to give the Digitone a try. Not entirely sure, I need more demos showing me how all I can twist the machines.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw the Cycles and thought “Elektron 6 track sequencer for 300? And it also has some cool FM shit? nice” and then I was like…well. the Digitone is a bit bigger, plus it has Midi through, and full sized connectors, and more FM modulation goodness…and that sweet screen…but it costs over twice as much…maybe first one, and then the other? What this immediately reminded me of was the Yamaha DX200…which I have found interesting for years…but pretty damned expensive for what it is.

Andertons UK have cycles in stock and i had a couple of loyalty points so grabbed one for £284, arriving Monday, that bloody… just that wife thing again :unamused:

Can you NOT post this shit while I’m quite tipsy?

So…I gave in and grabbed a Volca FM rather then saving for a rebuilt Preenfm2. What can I say, it was $80 used local pickup. Had to cancel my wife’s order of a TD-3 because she went through guitar center and they where still dicking around with back order push back ship dates when every other distributor has them in stock. So, I should have my acid machine in about a week and just learned that an old friend is going to give me an old Roland PM-5 for free. I will have to see if it is possible to transfer 8 channels of midi from my DAW to the PMA-5 and used it as an on the go portable 8 channel sequencer.

Yeah I bought one on relaease date shouel be arriving this week, just got paid and at £299 that my monthly impulse buy done…

Seriously, it was a long con, but after all these years, Hector finally got me…

Nice.

Still cool sounding and relevant today!

I’m trying to decide between

• Arturia MicroFreak
  • 42 HP of sound generation modular to fill the rack I have

Both would be a good idea and work well with the Akai Force, but my wallets leaning towards the MicroFreak, also because of the included Plaits oscillator…

Anyone has suggestion for 42 hp?

Have you got a basimilas iteritas alter yet? I suspect you might like one.