The Hardware Megathread

I’m bummed to hear you’ll take such a bath. TBH I didn’t understand that the subsequent 37 was a new synth internally, I just thought it was the end of the tribute edition or a color change. I eventually found a video by Moog explaining the differences and I don’t feel that the subsequent adds enough over the sub for me. I was aware of the roughly $900 price, which is part of what has my interest. The problem is that puts it right into Grandmother territory, and I like that too, especially if I want to go eurorack eventually. Or I could save money and have about as much attitude as anything with a Bass Station II. I like the look of a gen 1 ARP Odyssey re-issue module the most with the colored sliders on a white faceplate (and it sounds cool too, of course).

Or I could dig a Pro 2, which I’ve heard called the “gnarliest synth that isn’t eurorack ever”, the bonus with that one being that I know the DSI interface and terminology already and it can integrate into eurorack like the grandmother, but also being the most expensive, they’re about $1500 used right now. And I already have a Rev 2, so IDK if the sound will be different enough for me to really treat it like a different instrument. For raw sound, I think I like the Sub 37 most. I really can only justify one of these things because of space, but I’ve got some time to figure it out.

One thing that’s surprising, and I guess it’s just the way the market has gone, is that every one of these things is paraphonic (I’m sure there’s a way to do that with the grandmother as well, though it isn’t by default). Bass Station II got a quiet update last year to do that. With the exception of the grandmother, every one of them has multiple filters to choose from, every one of them has at least one stage of drive/distortion, though most have more. This is all cool stuff that I want, so I feel like it’s hard to go wrong with any of them, which is really, really cool, and I think speaks for how far the synth market is being pushed right now.

Take it w/ a grain of salt, but I feel like the even Moog fanboy nation on Gearslutz didn’t much like it when it came out.

Yeah, I think Grandmother sounds much better and has a more interesting character. So if you are thinking of getting into modular (or semi) eventually and you don’t need any particular feature of Sub 37, then you should totally go for the GM. Another synth that might be worth looking into is MFB Dominion 1. It can provide you with that deep Moog-ish low end, but still has its own character (which I also think is more interesting than a Sub37) and it also has CV ins/outs. Used you can find them for around $1200, so roughly in the same ball park.

Damn I forgot about that thing. It’s got so much underground cred too, being a rare german thing XD Thanks for making my decision harder.

Actually, thinking on it for a bit, I can soft-eliminate the Sub 37 since no one who owns another moog recommends that thing, and probably the Pro 2 because I think it’s gonna be too similar to my Rev 2, and the ARP because it’s kinda brassy, also like my Rev 2. So that leaves it down to the Bass Station, the Dominion, or the Grandmother.

But I still have at least two or three months to make a decision and the Matrixbrute could make a comeback for all I know (I originally almost got one of those, they go for $1500-$1700 all day). Though probably not, because that’s just way too big, ain’t no rack I’d be comfortable putting that on and I rather enjoy having one corner of my desk left with enough room for my laptop. But what a statement that thing makes just sitting there…

I had a bass station, it’s great. Would def buy one again.

Pretty inetersting… and a silly ad :slight_smile:

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po/modular

Just want to note that MFB is solid.

My third module ever was an MFB VCA. It’s the cleanest VCA I’ve encountered and I will never ever sell it, regardless of how ugly it looks when loaded next to intellijel and make noise modules.

I saw these on a synthtopia post. Hehe.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the more time I spend with the MPC Live only, the more I enjoy it.
Today I just plugged it a mini key and spend time making patches only on the Bassline synth, I really got to appreciate it.
That Akai Force with the 8 x 8 matrix is bloody interesting.

Yeah, I kinda like that they are going to redo the arrangement system in both.
I think it was you that was saying if the mpc could be coupled with a launchpad pro and lock that to the synths or keygroups it would be super cool!
I actually sold my mpc, but I am keeping a close eye on both, I will definitely get one or the other again at some point.

Just in time for NAMM Elektron FINALLY release a working Overbridge for all their current machines. Along with the release comes a tease of a new machine. Can’t link it because I saw it on Instagram but I’m sure it’s out there in other places. Hopefully it continues their line of small format black boxes. Can’t wait to see what it is.

Seems like it will be an actual drum synth, with a bass part. Based some freezes frames from the video.

That looks interesting. I was actually thinking of getting some of the other ones the other day. Didn’t pull the trigger but they each look like they’d be fun to fool with.

This even more so.

That would actually be pretty tempting for me if it was in the price range of the other new boxes.

How long until I can overbridge these Electron boxes directly to each other? A drum synth (or Digitone) that I could pipe into the Digitakt over one cable would be dope as all hell. And a good ecosystem for Elektron, of course. Bonus if I can do some sort of weird sequencer feedback between the two units. IDK what I’d do with that, but that’s a bridge we’ll cross when we get to it.

Don’t they all have a stereo input? They do. What would overbridge theoretically do that audio input isn’t?

No d to a and a to d, only one USB cable for digital audio and sync I think is what he is talking about.
Not possible tho imo, cuz overbridge requires that software piece. I could be wrong and that would be kinda cool I guess.

I was thinking individual audio channels from the drum machine into the Digitakt so that you can sample each channel individually but at the same time. Now that I think about it, I have no idea how you could do that given the interface, unless you could sequence sampling events somehow.

The new Elektron box… They are going to the cheap end of the market and comptering with Elctribes etc.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ELK-MODELSAMPLES-LIST

Description from page:

description

Compact and lightweight, the Model: Samples makes creating rhythms a breeze with straightforward operation and the controls are right at your fingertips. Model:Samples is a six-track sample based groovebox that packs a powerful punch and also fits into your backpack. Model:Samples ships with loads of pro quality samples and patterns to get you started—and has more than enough space for your own creations.

Elektron Model:Samples Sampling Production Workstation Features

6 Audio tracks (all of which may be used as MIDI tracks as well)
6 × Velocity sensitive pads
96 Projects
96 Patterns per Project
1 × Sample playback engine per track
1 × Resonant multimode filter per track
1 × Assignable LFO per track
Delay and reverb send FX
Elektron sequencer (up to 64 steps) per track
Real-time or grid recording of notes and parameters
64 MB sample memory
1 GB storage
1 × 1/4" Headphones output

Create your Sound.
Model: Samples ships with 300 preset sounds curated by Splice.com, ranging from essential kicks, snares, and hi-hats to exotic, never-before-heard effects and strikes to chart new rhythmic waters. With a few quick tweaks, you can perfect and personalize any sample so it sounds just the way you want. Use any of the expertly crafted custom sound packs included, or easily drop your own samples into it with the built-in microUSB port.

Total Hands-On Control.
Model: Samples features our most complete set of front panel controls, each function with its own knob. They’re all right there; just grab a knob and twist it. Unleash your music spontaneously using the durable velocity-sensitive pads. Record your every move live, or design your rhythmic creation in detail using the superb Elektron sequencer.

Ready to Go.
Each of the six sequencer tracks can output MIDI to control other machines. Now the Elektron method can empower any and all electronic music setups. At a mere 1.8lbs, Model:Samples lets you enjoy pro sound quality and sophisticated rhythm creation anywhere. Be ready when inspiration strikes.

It frankly seems quite underwhelming for the price, add a bit more and get a digitakt…