The Hardware Megathread

I can’t move posts, but we do have a sample pack thread:

thanks, this one might be a keeper, just playing around with the vibe, seeing if I want to stick with this or do something a little different.

Does anyone have any recommendations for guitar pedals that work well with a DAWless setup? The zoom ms-50g keeps appearing in videos we watch on you tube, but there’s a lot of guitar pedals out there and frankly it’s overwhelming

It is very overwhelming. I’ve really been liking Nux lately for budget friendly but sounding almost as good as boutique. But I know a fair few of the Hardware Mega Thread people have owned the zoom ms-70cdr and liked a lot, including myself. So that ms-50g might be a good option : )

For bougie priced stuff I love Strymon. But they don’t really do multi fx.

If you’re feeling budget minded, take a peek at a Line6 M9, I’ve got one and I really like it.

ooooh Zero-G classics.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I have the MS70CDR, but I haven’t used it for ages. I tend to use my Boss SE70 and VF-1 multi-FX units. Mainly the SE70.

Is there a reason you’re not using it? Poor sound? Inquiring minds would like to know. (:

So I took all the M1 piano samples I had intended to use to make a Maschine sample library out of, but Native Instruments is a godless heathen when it comes to the path of samples and I hate them for it. So I played with Decent Sampler tonight.

It is also godless, but at least it works. You have to use a text editor o.O Anyway, here is the Decent Sampler preset.

Why a software sampler preset in the hardware thread, you ask? Because it’s just a zip file. Change the file extension from dslibrary to zip and you can unzip it for the raw wav samples for your samplers. 4 velocities, notes are every 3rd pitch, starting at A0. A0, then C1, then Eb1, Gb1, A1, C2. Every octave all the way to the mostly useless C7 :rofl:

(the cheeky art is just something I found on the internet)

also on a 90’s throw back here as far as making music…ouch…more my poor hard drives…they will never recover from this…

I have a MS-100BT, the redheaded step-child of the Zoom Multistomp family. It basically has all the effects from the 50g, 50b, and 70cdr, I like it, but it’s also a little tedious to program on the little screen with three knobs (and often pages of parameters), and while you can switch presets with buttons, the main footswitch is just on/off.

I don’t know that I have found a pedal that did not also work well on synths these days. Which, of course, exacerbates your problem of overwhelming choice :eyes:

If you can get a good deal on a multieffect of any type, it can let you play with a lot of different things at once or over time to get an idea of what you like or want.

RE: NuX; I like them, too, but their latest unit did something dumb that I don’t care for, and that is lock every effect block to a specific effect,

Right now the only permanent effects I have are:

1)A reverb tied into the FX send/return on my mixer - TC Electronic Trinity
2)The mixer itself overdrives if pushed on the inputs - Boss BX-60
3)A compressor between the mixer and the recorder - FMR RNLA
4)I have a distortion that I sometimes feed monosynths synths through. A Coolmusic Insane

I may free up the Trinity and swap it out with the Zoom to layer a delay and/or reverb on the single send I have. I’m not sure, yet.

There’s just… so… so many effects. It is overwhelming. Individual pedals are super fun to shop for, buy, and use, but they are also a pita to use live with the same freedom of a multi-effect with presets or a DAW with automation.

Yea I can’t find a reason to defend a static linear order of FX type in a multi FX pedal. That seems like a serious oversight.

Like if it is just delay w a bonus reverb I can see having the reverb always following the delay but w a real multi fix you want to be able to change the order of fix type

it actually has dedicated buttons on the panel to go to each effect block to then edit it. So they even designed the UI and hardware around this paradigm.

I’ve seen in the another thread you might be considering a Digitakt, that would help as it would give you and input channel with delay/reverb, solving some basic break and butter needs.
Or even better an MPC one and you’re sorted in the sampling and effects realm forever.

Hey guys random question do you or anyone you know want an access virus Indigo version 1. Some wear and tear but in good working order apart from the mod wheel being unsprung. Im moving to Germany very soon and don’t want to ship it if I don’t have to. Ill let it go cheap cheap, any non insane offers considered.

Only issue they must pick it up within the next week or so in Reading UK :slight_smile:

Just a bit lazy to play around with it to be honest. it’s probably better in a live set up, on a pedal board.
The SE70 is connected to the mixer on the send/return and is a little half rack box. It just has that certain something about it, and I use it on pretty much everything. The VF-1 does crazy shit and has lots of distortion to boot.

You can have the FX in any order you want on the CDR70, but no distortion. I believe you can put distortion from the MS50 on there vai some software.

Pretty sure Relic was talking about that NuX thing I mentioned. Its effects blocks are static and cannot be changed to another effect type.

lol…

Like @Koldunya said, pretty much any modern pedal can work in a synth setup. If it can’t it’s because of weird circuitry choices specific to guitar (impedance loads, etc), and probably not worth owning anyway.

My take on pedals is you either get a simple one-effect analog pedal that sounds good to your ear (distortion, compression, bucket brigade verb/delay) or you get a fancy one-effect digital pedal that does a lot of variations of that thing really well (Strymon, WMD, etc).

IMO, stomp box multieffects are a bit of a shitshow. It’s the same as tiny synths with 1000 functions where you have to menu dive on a little LCD screen - it’s just a dumb form factor for what it’s trying to do. If you’re set on a multi unit, I’d look at an FX rack unit that can be controlled via MIDI and programmed over USB. Maybe it’s just my workflow and dislike of fiddling with tiny menus, but the magic of a stomp box is that you turn it on and twist knobs. If I want to do anything more complicated than that, I’ll sample, load that up and and parameterize the stuff I want to play with.

That’s why I finally sold the Zoom CDR70.