The Hardware Megathread

Well, I can a feel a little less dirty about my Behringer gear…

TL;DW - A year ago Benn Jordan challenged Uli Behringer to donate money to charity and he did. $200k total and donated 1500 synths to various programs.

That’s a really nice track, now the big question, will you inner engineer try to track all sounds separately to mix it in software?

Holiday time! So later today I’ll finally have time to set up the virus and play with it a bit more to see if I can unlock that Virus magic.
I also have a very cool track I need to finish. Well, track might be a loose word, in MPC lingo I have 4 good sequences and I need to create a few more variations to then re-arrange in song mode…

Yes. Absolutely, I consider this a demo.

Fortunately w this setup I can track everything in one pass and the A frame is setup in a way that I can “play knobs” on the way in. Lol, play knobs.

To my ears there is a lot of buildup from 200-500hz (it’s all the reverb!) and the drums could use some punching up, there’s not a whole lot going on in the way of EQ on that version other than some on the master.

Do you intend to use the virus in single or multimode? I’ve been struggling to get my single patches to sound one to one w multimode due to the shared verb/delay. I think in the future w multimode I’ll need to bus to individual outs and use fx outside of the synth itself.

Next up is a few line level to eurorack modules and vice versa so I can use my euro fx on the aux sends/returns of my console. IT NEVER ENDS

I must have missed that.

When did you get the Virus? Did you go with a TI? What are your initial thoughts??

Got it off an Ebay auction for real cheap as it was collection only, so the plan was to play around a bit and eventually sell it or store it for when I have more space on my desk or in my studio.

It’s a TI desktop (@chasedobson mostly used in single mode as a sample fodder), in very good order.

First impression is that it sounds really good, like reaaally good but it’s the most softsynth of my hardware synths. Despite the knobbyness, you still need to get very comfortable with the menu diving, which is arranged quite logically once you wrap your head around it…

It’s also a matter of being honest about time.
At the moment I mostly use the MPC Live as it’s just always ready with all I need at hand, and I’ve never been more productive or happier with my results. The MF is a great companion to it as it has a nice extra character and quirkiness to it, while still being immediate.
Do I want to add an extra layer of complexity to a setup that works and makes me happy?

My Handy Friend gave me a roll of “toolbox drawer liner” that’s come in super handy. I cut a piece to go beneath the SKULPT and SQ-1 so now they don’t move easily. I have plenty left if I need it anywhere else.

I started noodling around with my HD500X. I remember when it was Line 6’s “top of the line” floorboard and $500. Then they came out with the Helix stuff for like $1500 and still sold it as $500 as the “low end option” and now many of the other modeling companies all sell products approaching $500… :expressionless:

Obviously it doesn’t sound terrible, but I’m not overly enamored with it anymore, either. I remember why I went to a pedalboard with individual pedals. It could still have a use, though. I don’t know if the feature just wasn’t on my radar years ago, or if they added it in a firmware update (I updated it from 1.x to 2.x) but now it can function as a MIDI floorboard with CCs and notes, etc assignable to the footswitches and the expression pedal. So in theory, vs selling it I could still use it to control something like Guitar Rig, but I don’t know that this works over USB. The manual just mentions MIDI DIN.

I’m still mildly annoyed so many synths have just four voices… especially digital ones. But whatever. I digress XD

I know it wasn’t directed at me, but I was so pleasantly surprised with the results of Smooth Operator on the recorded stereo tracks (albeit they were individual L and R recordings) from my Zoom H6 that I don’t see myself worrying about that at all, at least for now.

The company needs to make a stereo pedal or rack effect or desktop box or something :crossed_fingers:

I’m not super good with programing, but would it be possible to put a hat on a rasbery pi with audio IO and a few knobs that you map to the right MIDI CCs for the parameters in smooth operator and then wrap it to run in linux?

…in theory. I suppose I could research people using Linux and audio software on Pi and see if/how it could work :thinking: I know audio and MIDI “hats” exist, and class compliant USB interfaces might work, too…

Edit 1 Derp, it just dawned on me that it will not work. Raspberry Pi is an ARM CPU and Smooth Operator is coded for x64 CPUs for normal computers.

Edit 2 But then I find this:

And it turns out Smooth Operator comes in a 32-bit flavor… :thinking:

Edit 3 I found this which seems easier to get I/O and MIDI going than messing with audio interfaces and whatnot…

https://blokas.io/pisound/

Though it’s $115, though that’s not much more than a low-end interface anyway. And I don’t have to design/3D Print a case as they sell one.

Same thing using an Intel Compute stick running Windows. I have one of these. No idea where its power supply is, though :eyes: (and it’s 9V/2A that plugs into a micro USB…) )or if there is a way to power it on and have things autoload/run headless like the Pi

Boss SE70. Old, but is worth it just for the Rhodes algorithm, which makes just about anything sound lush. Goes on pretty much everything I do.
Boss VF-1. If you like distortion and overdrive. Makes my MS20 mini sound like a guitar, also has some very interesting delays and reverbs.
Half Rack Stereo Multi FX Processors. Both stereo i/o and midi i/o. Can use straight though or as a send/return, which I do.

I got bored when I decided it was impractical (for now) to faff about with making a Smooth Operator live computer. Knowing I can is enough. So I did this:

Trololol…

Perfect Circuit’s year end sale is a go. “Up to 40% off” and 10% off anything not on sale with the code “CIRCUIT10”.

Edit literally nothing on my wishlist on sale :unamused: (not that I have much; I’m in a selling mood…)

Do I even need to comment?

On a side note, I’ll be picking up Pigments, at that price it’s a steal…

In my build towards a proper HW set I’ve gotten into my line 6 M9 and have been pleasantly surprised at how midi controllable it is.

Yeah, those older Line 6 units were quite capable and IMO the time based effects on them are still quite nice!
The HD pro X was sweet too, and could be a great rack effect setup for a real amp still IMO

Other people doing “ambient guitar” : Chords, slow lead lines, long notes

Me doing “ambient guitar” : Where can I hit it to make the coolest sound in this wash of effects? :sweat_smile:

They still sell these new for $550. But not the floorboard that goes with it :woman_shrugging:t2:

I think I paid $50 or $75 for Pigments back in 1.x due to Christmas sale and crossgrade owning a MicroBrute. I have not had to pay for upgrades to 2 or 3, either. Arturia seems unusually good to Pigments owners.

Merry Christmas everybody, happy 2022 hardware gassing.