The Hardware Megathread

I love Valhalladelay, I’ve never even used a preset, I simply use it to make my vsts sound vintage analog by simply opening an instance and tweaking the age, colour, feedback and mix until I hit that sweet spot of vintage nuances.

Seems plug-ins have cropped up korneffaudio.com have released a great reverb that models those old cheap 80s alesis type boxes.

It’s on offer at the moment for $19, we’ll worth a try before it goes full price on the 3rd of October.

So just realized if ya get this
http://www.dynamictonality.com/relayer.htm
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
and this

Ya got a poor man’s axis 49
I just ordered that, I’m stoked

Dirtywave M8 tracker arrived, finally a device to make quality electronic music that I can truly call portable

I kinda like that this looks like a USB #pad for a laptop.

I’ve seen this and find it both cute and interesting.

https://www.retrokits.com/rk008/

I have no idea how Denon, Vestax et. al. digital, computerless DJ equipment works with time stretch/pitch/sync…but I have to hand it to Pioneer. People complain about how they rule the DJ/club industry but their shit works and its tight (in the literal sense, though it is also tight in the metaphor/slang sense). Besides I really don’t see having an “industry standard” as a bad thing. Again, some people don’t like it, but I love the idea that I can walk into 90% of clubs or events with a USB stick in my pocket and play a DJ set.

Just got my new mixer, CDJs and and Toraiz SP-16 hooked up and they talk to each other over a $29 passive ethernet switch. And I think it goes w/o saying that the Allen and Heath mixer sounds amazing.

Their next trick to finally impress me and have me doing a Wayne’s World “we’re not worthy” bow will be if I can use MIDI out from the SP-16 to sync my other gear to the DJ setup.

Pictures forth coming when I clean up some packaging and tidy up the cable spaghetti.

edit: kneels down and bows repeatedly “I’m not worthy! I’m not worthy! I suck!”

The SP-16 takes the BPM from the CDJs over DJ Link and turns that into MIDI and will send it to external gear. You can also send start stop from the SP-16 while using DJ Link. So, if the SP-16 is synced up and starts the sequence on other gear, just need to mute the other gear and its ready to go once you need it. I’ve currently just go the 808 clone hooked up and it outputs to the fourth/last channel on the DJ mixer so I can cue it in my headphones, EQ etc.

edit 2: I’m fucking giddy. Having a blast just messing around with the new setup. I’ll record some improve noodling soon. Some live recorded tracks do drift a bit which is to be expected, I just have to get back into the groove of using tempo nudge/riding the pitch fader/using other tricks to stay in sync–though I suspect my primary audience for the outcome won’t mind a tad of drift here and there. Modern on the dot DAW stuff is so easy to play with it feels like cheating. I’ve also got the Aux Send of the DJ mixer going to the sampling inputs of the SP-16 for even more live looping fun and games.

Also, I’ve got two USB sticks with the same playlists, one for each CDJ–this is essentially like having two copies of the same record on two turntables. Should have done that forever ago…

edit 3: this is the setup I’ve been waiting to get lost in and release self indulgent long ass dubby disco/house/acid/breaks/jungle improv live remixing mixes no one wants to listen to. Yea, that’s a bunch of stoner DJ ass crap I just said. Big up!

yeah this thing looks dope af

I have absolutely no need for this but the MMT8 is so iconic it would be fun to try this (or an original).

Hard same!

I’m almost ashamed by how adult I’m being about gear. I’m actually happy and super productive with only one box on my desk.
Even though I’m eyeing a 2nd hand Virus TI or Argon8M as I’m really really into wavetable basses…

Yeah I seen it on a superbooth video and got all sentimental about the calculator design.

The SP-16 is quickly swinging me that way. I still need to feed it audio, but I don’t need hardware for that.

The Argon8 is on my radar as well. I’m over the analog craze but wouldn’t really want an average VA hardware synth.

Ok, so this is basically just the SP-16 and a touch of DAW…this is what your godless hardware music making religion has done to me…making filthy, dirty ghetto tech./booty house

Don’t blame us for your new found happiness.
Also, how did you come to be so full of cheese?

I blame my fine taste in cheese on my friends from Europe. That’s where we Americans learn about such worldly things : ) edit: either that or its my proximity to Detroit…

I’m gonna share this with my house heads and get back to you.

Very nice. I wish my studio was ever that uncluttered but it just isn’t who I am lol What are the instruments under the (audio) monitors?

n/m made some bad recordings I was gonna share

You should just go for the TI man. Lovely synth. I’ve had a couple actually. If I didn’t have a buying selling problem I’d still have one. They’re really a cut above anything else I’ve played. Resale value it’s a no brainer as the value will hold. Basically a no-risk purchase. As far as aesthetics go I think the TI Polar is the most well designed synth in history.