The Hardware Megathread

These rack rails are absolute fucking garbage. Getting bolts into them is a complete shitshow. Against my better judgement and others here I got the matching monitor stands are they are just industrial looking. The metal was welded and ground out visibly, has sharp edges in places, they didn’t even paint the thing when they were done welding the pieces. I don’t know if this is normal or an oops, but every piece of the 5-6 of the stand is like that.

The finish on the desk looks gorgeous. The grain of the birch still comes through some for a slight two tone thing that I love, and IKEA sells KALLAX in grey with exposed birch I might look into.

The sidecar is so customizable it has so many holes that my mind shuts off just thinking about assembling it…

I’ve never seen (well, read) anyone more excited about a desk than you.

I like decorating XD

edit well I’m done not hooking up power… I knew I should have sprung for the 10 foot cables…

It’s always the cables. I bought a new pedal last week. Stereo in, stereo out I should have that laying around. I’m going to need 4 new sets of unbalanced stereo cables to permanently wire it into my patchbay. 2 sets for the send/return, 2 for patching to and from the send and return.

And for the first time last night I was playing a multi-timbral patch on the Prophet Rev2 and thought “I really wish I had separate outputs for these sounds right now so I could send only the bass to the reverb”. Add another pair of (longer) balanced stereo cables to the shopping cart so I can wire up the layer B output of the Prophet.

Yeah Ludwig was a pioneer of the Pultec lowend trick, as he was deaf lowend was the only thing he could feel in music :sunglasses: , i often wonder which Pultec plugin he used, ive always used the UAD version but because im slowly getting rid of UAD plugins ive been using the Noise Ash one lately.

I urge everyone here to learn how to build your own cables. Buying cable and ends in bulk is a big money saver and getting the lengths right is AWESOME for cable management.

2 Years ago i got ~300ft of multicore cable from a studio that was liquidating, its 8ch of TRS cable, 30 bucks. I’ve built both snakes and interconnect cables with it. On amazon I found a shop that was letting go bulk Amphemol TRS jack ends so I scooped them up.

Its literally saved me hundreds of dollars.

I dipped my toe in with cables for my PA…defo worth it!

I just looked at Redco - my custom snake would have set me back $90.

I paid less than half that and have resources to build another 4 or 5 of those.

I’m likely removing some of the little plants XD or painting their pots. or both. I don’t know, yet.

Vewy pwetty! :slight_smile:

Looking great!
Now I see why you were so excited!

Not sure what happened to the pic, but here’s my Maschine+ in the shot…

I still have to build the Sidecar which is a little complicated and not so straightforward since it can be built configured multiple ways (lots of holes…). And this long weekend is almost over, and I have a lot of mess/untidiness to clean up, too lol.

edit still not quite enough room to get the K5000S out permanently. I might just bring it out on special occasions until I get a bigger space to put it out on a stand. I still have an idea or two about it, though; the keyboard tray obviously, but that’s kinda last resort and it might be slightly too large anyway.

I agree with the other guys, that looks great!

when you need a separate closet to hold all the Decksaver covers when it’s time to play…

Thanks everyone! :smiley:

I’ve been trying to avoid getting into soldering, but it seems both my retro gaming and my music would be enhanced by it. Possibly computers too. I have to budget a modest setup, but it might be time for me to take the plunge.

soldering with a TS-100 changed my life. Heats up in seconds, the size of a large pencil, and can run off a battery with the right connectors. Can even get a little case for it to carry around tips, solder, a sucker or wick, and an RC battery even. I repaired my Roccat Nyth (gaming mouse) which they no longer make, because Roccat used a shitty “3 million clicks” life microswitch for the buttons and I used left click a lot. Now it has a 20 mil switch and I wish I’d just done the 50 lol. I’ve soldered some eurorack kits, too.

Might as well do cables, next, though I’ll leave MIDI DIN alone.

Get a few XLR under your belt and you’ll be fine with DIN. One of my first project was building xlr to DIN dongles to run midi over snake lines to feed midi clock to stage. Works great at short distances.

My wife just made a huge mistake:
Me: Native Instruments really wants to sell me the new Maschine…
Wife: Maybe you should listen.

This is dangerous territory

I’ve seen a Maschine+ and MPC One play nicely together (Knock Squared). I imagine a Maschine and Force could be friends…

I’ve been toying with the idea, but with the current state of the Force, (and I keep finding out things I didn’t know I could do) and while still learning a new synth, Maschine is the last thing I need.
If I would though, I’d go for the normal version, I can’t see the benefit of going for plus.

On the other hand, I can’t give up the idea that a Tempest or a Rytm would be great for me.