The Hardware Megathread

In my latest tracks I used a ton, so each drum sound had an eq, and each audio track had an eq.
It is super annoying, but it does help.

I try to plan around sounds and filter before hand, but something is still needed, mostly to clean up thing rather than surgical super precise eq.

A controller for one of my favorite synth plugins might be nice and it’s on sale…

I’ll probably never justify having a real Prophet 5 XD

says the mastering guy.

…oh dear.

Is this for U-he Repro?

I used to EQ the shit out of my tracks like this. These days I just chose/design/choose octaves and notes so I don’t need as much EQ. I feel like it leaves tracks sounding lifeless. Not saying my mixes are the best but I get in more trouble the more EQ I use.

and Prophet V from Arturia (the one I have)

I’ve never been a fan of dedicated hardware controllers for vst synths.
But then again I used to love Maschine so maybe I should just shut up

When I get a new laptop if no one in my family needs my old one I’d consider getting that controller to use U-He Repro in standalone. It is my favorite VST of all time. And like @Koldunya I’ll probably never own a DSI Pro 5 and certainly not a vintage one.

I bet it can be used for anything with a similar enough layout

All the packages arrived! Assuming nothing is damaged (and reviews have had damaged pieces that were replaced quickly) operator reorganize is a go!

Heh, EQ to me is for carving when you missed bits earlier in what you’re doing e.g. cutoff in synth sound design or for overall picture. Worthwhile for making sure tracks don’t leak elsewhere but if you’re overdoing it then to my mind you’re not paying attention earlier in your process. Not saying I get it right, just saying that’s how I approach it. I’d really rather do it at source than later on if I can.

I eq the shit out of client tracks to shoehorn in poor compositional decisions. My own compositions, not so much.

Smart composition makes the mix go so much easier.

Nice one dude

I’m not saying my music is the shit, that post read pretty arrogant. I just shoot to compose in a way that makes the mixes work.

I got ya 100% Learning to think about frequencies while composing was probably the most massive game changer in this electronic music adventure for me.

As you, not trying to sound arrogant, but I imagine its a bit like writing an orchestral piece. There is no EQ so you have to think when and what all the instruments are playing to make it work.

Beethoven totally used a pultec and overstayer followed by an 1176. Look it up.

I haven’t turned on any synths in more than 24 hours and I feel bad about it.

Damn. American public education failed me again.

Thought some of ya’ll might be curious about this.

aw. Power on the Force for a bit?

Neither have I. I’ve been furiously building and rearranging. I took a break to see family for lunch and went back to it. desk is built, now for more building…

I actually look at this desk and think I don’t want to spoil or crowd it out. ITB with some MIDI controllers sounds good. But I’m also massively mentally drained and the thought of wiring is a huge nope right now lol