The Hardware Megathread

Will we get a picture of the finished station?

Today I’ve been ‘working’ with the IPad next to me, I forgot how much fun Groove Rider was, it even has wavetables now, makes me feel like looking for a cheap Electribe 2.
Or I’ll just sample the shit out of it.

But it is also giving me ideas on how to approach the Hydrasynth.

Yeah I plan to show it off a bit once it’s all said and done. Turns out only two pieces are arriving late. But which two :thinking:

I’m debating on a monitor mounted above it to just show me lovely/inspiring pictures, and I want to put a few finishing touches around it vs just cramming as much as I can onto it. I want it to be a place of organized peace and not chaos.

My Focusrite arrived today at least. Now I can stop fucking with that wonky MOTU driver…

speaking of the focusrite… this thing is not used. it came in an outer box perfectly sized for the inner box, and the inner, focusrite 18i20 box is sealed o.O A brand new Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen for $400…

Was it from the focusrite b-stock division? I got my 18i20 mk2 and my octopre dynamic from them. I had a few screws loose on one and a small scuff on the other, but both work great and I got excellent deals on both.

Sam Ash and if there is something wrong with it, I didn’t notice it when I installed it in my temporary rack

Did I bit of a test track with the Hydra, not going overboard with any modulations apart from envelope and lfo to FM depth on a bass.

Everything is from the HydraSynth apart from the kick, and all sounds are quite simple, which mean I could have easily gotten the same sounds out of the Microfreak.

And I still can’t help hearing some ‘boxiness’ on the wobble bass, nothing eq couldn’t fix.

No effects on the synths, apart from sidechain and a maximiser slammed on the master.

That reverb is really nice though…

that lead sound is my jam… now I don’t feel so bad about how “up” or even “bubbly/happy” my beats sometimes sound :smiley:

I’m starting to wonder if buyer’s remourse is starting to get to you more than anything? You haven’t had it for very long, though you do like simpler more immediate synths from what I gather. I could just make you tweakable presets if/when I finally get my hail Hydra(synth) and then you’ll be back to simple station XD

But seriously, I think it sounds pretty great.

carve out some 250-300-ish, that’ll get you there.

re-listening, that lead just makes me happy lol.

I think it is a mix of buyer’s remorse and ‘trying to put everything in a patch’. Working on this track, too happy and upbeat to be an Automageddon track, made me hold back a bit so I guess that’s why I enjoyed it more.
I will check what I did with the lead, but I think it is just the snare sound without noise, so it would be based on a triangle

Mixing will be the death of me. But I’m starting to enjoy it a bit more, I usually go for a gentle roll off on the low end and carve out the mods. I didn’t this time as the focus was the mostly raw synth

the 18i20 defaulted to 192 samples and 48kHz. I set it to 44.1 and tbh I just enjoy changing settings on this thing a lot better than the MOTU PCI 424. There’s a little toolbar widget that tells me things, and I can launch the software to change things from there, and it listens to my DAW if I make changes there. No more weird low and slow notes at random :eyes: And I should easily recoup the price. Latency is under 5ms at these settings :smile:

Just slap a really dirty overdrive on that bass and you’ll forget about all the boxiness. Mixing is for chumps. Distortion is for champs.

I lost my distortion abuse mojo, I’m aging.

I don’t even have a soundcard on my desk at the moment and wouldn’t know what latency my shitty Behringer soundcard has if it would hit me on my face…

I have an old, dusty Tascam 488mkII I’ve thought about going completely DAWless with. But probably much more of a pain than it’s really worth, but I might do it a few times for a goof. I have a Tascam 414mkII that I do use, mostly used for cassette sampling. It plays at twice speed, so I pitch the sample down an octave for a little sampler mojo and a nod to the old days of records being played at twice speed.

I can’t wait for my S2400…

I was listening to a song today that I’m sure was Analog RYTM on drums (as she’s using one in the video, could be samples from an Octatrack, though, or the Analog Four) and we were talking the other day about 808, 909 sounds, etc, and I remember once upon a time wanting a RYTM. There are so many good drum machines out there that aren’t 808, 909, 707, etc. Elektron, Vermona, I saw a Russian one on Perfect Circuit once I thought about, Jomox stuff. I actually wanted a MBass and MBrane for the longest time…

If I had the money for an 808 or 909, I’d get something from the other companies and something else nice, and probably a third nice thing lol…

I only use about 3 EQ plug ins in a project if that lol

Hello…

programmable synth thing…

I actually use a ton of EQ nowadays, usually multiple instances on each channel, plus on effects sends and such, but first thing on every channel is a distortion of some sort. It’s like Lawry’s seasoned salt - a bit goes a long way and it never gets old (I am a terrible chef by the way never let me feed you).

But whenever I get lost, the move is to either compress the hell out of my problem sound or just quit pretending and distort it like crazy.

I had a mix for a friend last fall, live alt/punk which I have zero experience with and tons of bleed on all tracks to boot. The thing that worked was doing some light distortion on each channel, gentle EQ to mix it loosely, and a short slapback verb to just emphasize the live feel. Everyone loves that mix. I could probably take all the EQ out and it would sound a bit worse, but it would still be 80% of the way there. So yeah, distortion did all the lifting on that one, and I’m trying to let it do more now.