The Hardware Megathread

I actually turned on the Plus earlier and was able to just jam without a DAW going. The software for this Focusrite is pretty great, way easier than MOTU’s and certainly RME’s…

But yeah, it’s like it was with my MPC, I’m… right here at the computer. A few clicks and I could just be using my Mikro mk3 or a full mk3…

Didn’t you have a RYTM about 6 months ago?

Anyways, I’m in the same boat, firmware is version .26 on the Super 6, I’m still finding the occasional bug and reporting it. And Osmose, whenever that comes, will be quite the synth to learn (and probably also have a few bugs to work out). So I’m holding off on anything major probably for the rest of the year.

Give or take a month…
That one was for flipping, bought stupidly cheap and sold for about 300£ more, I keep an eye out for things like this, mostly on Facebook Marketplace.

It didn’t give me a great impression but I pretty much only turned it on to check it was fine and all was working. Flipped it quickly to make the most of the mkii draught.

The one I’m eyeing now is a black mkii for under 1000 so in case I could still makes something out of it.

USB shits me… so many things need it, and motherboards come with a small amount that’s fine for most people, and then you get all these wonderful devices where the manufacturer is all “lol plz use onboard USB does not work well with hub LOL!” and this includes fucking Elektron about Overbridge, while they SELL A FUCKING HUB DESIGNED FOR IT.

Huffs. Rant off. Just been having fits with USB devices lately and remembering why I liked DAWless in the first place… Maschine, DS1, 18i20, keyboard and mouse, Launchpad, MIDI controller, I tried putting the keyboard and mouse on a hub and the keyboard, the freaking computer keyboard just shut down after lighting up, as if the software doesn’t see it anymore. The mouse works only on one port of the hub. It’s powered. Maybe it’s bad… flash drives seem to work, huzzah I guess… one port on my old Overhub is just dead, too :woman_facepalming:t2: maybe I should just buy another overhub…

edit idea… buy a PCI usb thing and plug my PC peripherals into that… leaving more on the board for all the fussy pants stuff.

weekend plans…

Still haven’t won that battle to be allowed to hang acoustic treatment lol

these panels tend to look fairly innocuous when done like this, vs the obnoxious pyramid foam. can color coordinate with the room decor, etc. I built the bed I sleep on and a guitar pedal board so I’m sure I can handle these. I’ll probably even have the hardware store make all the cuts for me so I can just screw it all together and not worry about borrowing my friends saw XD

Actual monitors and maybe panels are things I’m saving for the next house

as much as I wish I could recommend these Eris E8s, one is noisy like random digital interference and I’m probably replacing them down the road…

It is more that my partner thinks they will ruin the paint job. My weirdo techno cave is where I keep all the decor she doesnt like lol.

That’s why I love my trusty old QY700, analog mixer and R8 recorder. That and I prefer how my music sounds than when I used a DAW.

Something like that would likely avoid the problems of a hub.

In terms of performance/reliability is there a difference between 5 Din and Usb?

Other than the fact that you could get ground loops on USB (DIN is optically isolated so that isn’t a possibility AFAIK) I think it depends on the synth. Super6 doesn’t have USB MIDI yet, and no reliable timeline for when it will be added. Elektron, on the other hand, I’m sure does a very good job with USB MIDI.

The problem is devices sharing the same USB bus/channel/whatever. Sometimes motherboards have extra USB capacity, just not actual USB conenctors plugged in. Have a look, its worth it. I did that so I didn’t have devices competing so much and avoided having to use hubs or extra PCI cards.

yep, something like that is what I was talking about. I admit I didn’t expect nearly $70 XD

MIDI always works and you can always track the problem down eventually. USB can be a cluster fuck.

Sorry, link was just for general demonstration purposes. Were it me, I’d skip the 3.0 (which seems to be the majority of the cost) and get a 2.0 card. Interfaces are almost exclusively USB 2.0 until they jump up to Thunderbolt. Even the ones that have 3.0 ports still use the 2.0 transport as far as I’m aware.

You even can make a case that moving up to USB 3 is a bit silly unless you’re trying to record a crazy amount of tracks simultaneously, as USB 2 has plenty of bandwidth for 48kHz/24bit ~8 inputs that most home users end up with. There’s been companies quoted as saying they added the upgraded connections just because users expect them, not because there’s any actual benefit.

To be fair, on paper there are actually some latency benefits to USB 3, but they’re slight and there’s not a lot of offerings out there since most companies just went Thunderbolt which does have both latency and bandwidth benefits.

Anywho…

Something like that. Startech makes decent stuff. Spend the extra $$ on something more fun. :smiley:

Can confirm, I got a USB3 card from them 7 or 8 years ago. Was still working when the motherboard in that system died. Never had any problems with any of my USB ports, native or added.

it’s so weird that threatening its existence (USB) and wanted to upgrade, all problems seem to have vanished… :eyes: I’ve also been shutting down my computer vs putting it to sleep as I have a new cat and don’t know yet if she is a chewer…

my Prophet controller was supposed to be here today, but there haven’t been any updates from Fedex -_-