The Hardware Megathread

I literally have an interface introduced in 2003 (no idea when this 2408 mk3 was actually made) working on Windows 10 in 2021… and using the PCI 424 card no less, and not even the PCIe 424 because everyone crams PCIe 1x slots next to the 16x GPU slots -_- latency is really good, too.

it seems the right input on my Babyface OG (a white Snow Edition) no longer works so I said fukkit, let’s hook up the Millenium Falcon of audio interfaces lol. Old, doesn’t look like much, but has it where it counts. I can spend $100ish on another 2408 for more I/O, or $370-$400 gets the monster 24I with 24 analog in and out. The old MOTU PCI systems could have insane numbers of inputs and outputs :eyes:

The best item for self defence is the Akai Force, solid built, size of a medium shield and metal at the bottom. Good for self defence against projectile and direct magic.

In an arena sort-of situation my setup would be great, defend with the Force, attack swinging the Microfreak at the end of a balanced cable.

Also, is that a Hydrasynth desktop coming my way? Did I hear you say time-synced envelopes, loopable?

Probably reworking my Eurorack or selling it all and the RackBrute housing it. It’s really, really fun and while I sampled a lot of drones at first to then sequence and play back, it’s lost a lot of that charm for me. I think I’ll start by seeing if I groove with an Atlantis (SH-101-like module) and an Odessa additive oscillator (2560 partials o.O) with the Hel addon to let it play 5 notes at once. With a few other modules I’ll have a monosynth and a digital poly in a very small footprint.

As much as the happy accidents make me grin, it’s hard for me to justify a $4400 system (according to Modular Grid; a lot of my modules were used or bought on sale, though wires are also a thing…)

If anything I can buy an AE Modular for like $500 or something, and have basically just as much fun with that, and patch cables are super cheap because they are literally just wires lol. I do have a 0 Coast…

If I like the Odessa enough, I could sell the K5000S I’m about to bring out of storage, that takes up so much f’ing space. But there’s a strong possibility I might go “This is brilliant, but I like this one” about the K5000S because it sounds like digital sex on a three DSP XD

Can you say a loopable envelope per partial?

Kawai still has downloads on their site for the K5000 OS 3 and 4.04 (latest). That’s pretty great of them, imo.

I bought another octatrack (3rd time lucky?)…

what the fuck is wrong with me? Inner masochist tendencies coming out I guess…

…I have yet to let mine go. It’s nostalgic to me; my first ever Elektron. A decade old and in flawless condition. It might even be the one Hector used XD (not really).

In other news, on modular grid I put a Behringer K-2 and Pro-800 into a rack and then cursed at the power use; it’s too high for my Rack Brute :unamused: edit emailed Arturia and asked if I can just use a power brick with more amps safely.

Me too, lol. (2nd time)

Just arrived the other day. Was playing with it last night with no intention of even doing anything serious with it right then. Just fiddling around with the audio. It was super fun just messing with the effects and crossfader. Love that elastic audio.

The Hydrasynth landed a few hours ago and it sounds fantastic. It’s a thing of metal and steel and orange text, beautifully organised and really well thought. Only made 2 patches so far as I’m actually working but I’m well impressed.

Edit: I will not get on the OT love, it just requires too much dedication. Happy with the Force, just bring on a Force Retro MKii!

im on my first!

its an interesting box

Id love to have an octatrack but i know id never learn it, its the only thing stopping me buying one.

I really think it gets a bad wrap as far as learning goes. I mean at the end of the day it’s a sampler. Loading up a sample set and mashing it w the effects isn’t rocket science. I’ve decided to just try one thing at a time. My first use case for it is just going to be a performance mixer for external gear, using the cross fader for glitch type effects. Once I’ve got that down, shouldn’t be that difficult, I’ll try something else. But again, it’s a sampler and getting samples on the tracks for further sequencing and processing ain’t that difficult.

Edit: I only sold my first one because I’m the worlds worst when it comes to the buy / sell GAS game…

The worst.

My baby steps have been to sequence the volca drum with it, do some fun CC automation and learn how to route it thru Thru Machines for FX mangling and then resampling the results.

its not been crazy hard.

Im definitely no virtuoso tho. next will be handling audio, USB transfer of some original audio content to then chop and re-sequence.

Arp 2500, only approx 100 units ever sold,

That sound…:heart_eyes:

I literally had little problems with it, and was always able to find out how to do the thing I was trying to accomplish pretty easily. It could be I/we just gel with it a certain way. I did little actual sampling with it, but loading stuff off the card and mangling/sequencing, etc it was a box of fun and sparked joy. It probably deserves more attention than I’m giving it lately, but I need to slim down, not up… =/

I might not choose it for a desert island, but if I had one on a desert island I wouldn’t be upset by it.

even the blips and bleeps are super thicc.

Is it weird I think it would look sexy next to a Maschine+ since they share the same color scheme? :eyes:

I really just need to buy one already.

I think I’ve discovered why I stopped using this PCI 424/2408mk3 combo. It doesn’t like me putting the computer to sleep, and occasionally the audio gets slow/pitched down o.O Probably an ASIO quirk between system and a DAW… I’m not used to ASIO…

edit and nailed it. I went into Bitwig and told it 48kHz and problem solved…

Arturia support is fucking amazing. She told me how much power the bus boards of the Rack Brute can handle (and it’s more than they supply you with on the power brick it comes with) and linked me to a data area that gives the physical specs of the barrel plug. I really just love this company lol

Arturia’s support is just amazing. This woman gave me all kinds of information not out to the general public about my RackBrute 6U, was patient with my questions, etc. felt pretty above and beyond to me

If Arturia makes something to fight the MPC and Maschine+ (that isn’t a regurgitated Spark lol) I’ll be looking hard at it, ngl… SampleBrute anyone? XD

I forgot how good this Proteus 2000 sounds. I am totally in love with it again just hearing the Composer ROM (stock) sounds… I can’t wait to start sampling from Beat Garden :eyes: I’ve spent so long with an interface that could only have one input at a time…