The Hardware Megathread

Why do guitar pedals be like:

“I’m cheap as shit, but there is a slight chance I’ll be awesome”

“I’m reasonably priced but I might not be better sounding than the cheap ones, just more options”

“Holy fuck take out a loan, but I WILL sound the tits”

R&D.

The first category is people getting lucky playing around with circuits, or happening to have a new-but-smart person doing their development. Most cheap pedals are cheap from development all the way to production, and it shows in most of them being mediocre.

The second is because they’re slight variations on standard, proven circuits that have been around for decades, and the only way to charge a reasonable amount for something like that is to add some bells and whistles (which is dumb cheap and easy from a development and production standpoint - it’s usually a couple of resistors/diodes and a switch or knob).

The last is because they’re digital at the core, and someone very smart, very patient and very hard working spend a fuckload of time figuring out how to do something new and cool in code and then adopt it to a teensy chip (which is a very limited skill set). Because it’s not easy and they did it first, they can charge a king’s ransom for it (I’m looking at you, Strymon).

I’m so glad I know and interact with smart people…I’m out here just all smoothed brained engaging with reality.

Spot on.

Good answers there Artificer. Having spent a ton of time looking at pedals (and less buying them) I agree on your points. Cheap pedals are cheap from a production stand point, which means less R&D. that does not mean they have to sound bad. I would give a shout-out here to most of the TC Electronics “Smorgasbord” line of pedals. I own 4 of them and they are dead simple, but do exactly what they say they will. Also, they have huge knobs (hey now!) that make them easy to manipulate on the fly, and the cables are routed from the back, so you can line them up nicely next to each other.

For those that have not checked out this channel yet, if you like pedals do yourself a favor and watch a bunch of these: https://www.youtube.com/user/jhspedals

Although they make their own stuff, Josh Scott (owner) loves pedals of all stipes and he has some great recommendations for cheaper pedals (f.e. a good number of older Behringer or Danelectro pedals). He is focused on guitar, but of course a lot of these would work great with synths too.

I will check that link out for sure! If that is the same JHS Pedals I’ve seen, he has some interesting ones I have considered. The JHS Colorbox mkii in particular.

Last Monday i got an email from Dirtywave that their M8 tracker was ready for pre-order.
I couldn’t even remember adding my email to the interest list and ive got a polyend tracker anyway.
But that got me curious about the M8, i watched a few videos and ended up ordering one :dizzy_face:

last Wednesday i came across this DIY complex oscillator from ST modular called Oberhausen, its massive HP wise and uses 2 CEM3340 chips, i didnt even want or need another oscillator but the thrill of the build made me order a PCB/Panel, i thought i had a few CEM chips stored away but i cant fined them now :frowning_face:
ive just spent several hours lon the internet ooking for Subminiture toggle switches with Paddles that fix to PCB not panel but can’t find any, thats a shame as they would of looked great on this.

Got in today.

This thing is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Like… waaaaaaay bigger. I’m going to have to re-arrange everything to get it situated properly. Eventually I’ll need a bigger desk for everything too, but that’ll have to wait until I move.

And that damned Apple sticker has to come off.

Those things are huge, bigger than a mackie control.

and here I almost spent the extra money for the FW1884 which I just found out is even bigger than this thing!

What is the advantage of something like that?

soundcard with inbuilt DAW controller

It’s got 8 line inputs, 4 mic inputs, phantom power for the mics, and the faders on the control surface are motorized which, for me, alleviates a huge headache when mixing with my US428. When I switch fader banks in Sonar or Cubase and adjust levels, the fader in the DAW jumps to whatever position the physical fader was in the moment you touch one. With motorized faders, once I switch banks, the physical faders switch positions to the DAW’s, making mixing a much better process.

If there are controller interfaces for controlling MIDI, are there any interfaces for programming MIDI patterns so that I don’t have to look at my computer monitor?

Yes there are tons of midi sequencers out there. Korg SQ8, Launchpad Pro Mk3, Squarp Pyramid or the Pioneer Squid, just to name a few. These are all purely midi sequencers and can wotk in standalone mode or with a Daw. Then there are tons more that have synth engines or samplers in them like the Circuit, all the MPCs, Digitakt, Octotrack, Deluge, Force etc. Daw controllers w/o a standalone mode exist too like the regular Launchpad or the NI Machine.

But their built in standalone stuff will make them cost more, I’m just looking for a surface that serves as a remote controller for editing MIDI on a DAW.

Depends which daw you are using

As @jbvdb493 says some DAWs have dedicated controllers for such things. The Akai Fire for FL Studio was pretty sweet. I didn’t stick with it because I just prefer good ol’ regular hardware. Push seems just fucking amazing if you are on Ableton. I really have no idea what all it does, but certainly it would allow you to do that.

Sounds like a keyboard with some transport controls to me. Maybe something like this?

https://novationmusic.com/en/keys/sl-mkiii

This looks pretty impressive…

I must have a sickness because I’m always wiling to be sold on yet another monosynth.