The Hardware Megathread

I contacted Nord about the “skipping values” and they told me that since the three knobs in question are the bipolar ones, the values are quantized to work that way. They aren’t skipping…that’s just how they work. So my reaction was

So, I’m not very smart about these things but the numbers are kind of arbitrary right? Like how Elektron decided that most of their parameters will go from 0-127 (Or does that have to do with MIDI? Now that I’m saying it, I feel like MIDI CCs are limited to 127 steps…). So maybe you are getting the full range of sensitivity but the numbers the use to represent it are just dumb because they “skip”?

I don’t know for sure, but my guessing would be that these encoders somehow only have 0-10.0 values, which is fine, but when it’s a bipolar patch, they have to skip numbers to go from -10.0 to 10.0 because they need to be stretched out to cover a wider range?

It gets worse than that, because if I understand correctly, it depends on the parameter. For instance, a manufacturer could add extra resolution to something like filter cuttoff to give it 256 values. Or more. Or less. I believe standard MIDI spec is 128 for everything.

And then there’s played versus modulated values. So for instance, if you pay close attention, you can hear even a pretty fine filter stepping between values as you move the knob/fader. Send a slow LFO to that same parameter as a modulator, you get smooth motion on almost any synth.

MIDI is weird, I try and not think about it too much.

The bass station 2 had double values for the filter cutoff for that reason iirc

That’s not weird at all, MIDI’s shit resolution is a product of its age, an LFO is going to rely on voltage in the case of an analog synth, or a digital synth’s internal resolution. which, unless your digital synth is based off of a SID chip, or is a throwback to some video game nostalgia (for some reason) it’s going to be programmed to perform more smoothly.

I know that now, but first time I heard it in person I too thought my synth was borked. I get what you’re saying, but I still get surprised sometimes at the difference it can make when I want to perform a parameter myself versus have my synth perform it for me. Just something I have to remind myself of as I play/program sounds.

Is MIDI 2 ready yet? IIRC it uses like 60k values as it’s default resolution, so all of this will be a moot point when that goes mainstream.

Midi 2.0 was released Jan 2020, its just up to the developers if they want to implement it in their products.

The first one I fully owned without any borrowed equipment was my Atari ST running Master Tracks Pro, a Yamaha MU5, and my DJ setup all running out to a pair of Bose Roommates (which I still have!).

So I pulled the trigger on a Tascam FW-1082 console/audio interface.

I want motorized faders… so I got motorized faders. Plus I needed more inputs than the US428 provided and instead of buying a small mixer to add extra channels I just said “screw it” and bought an interface with more channels.

I guess I have never owned white plastic gear before but my Model:Samples was getting a bit grimy. I thought rubbing alcohol would be the most responsible thing to use and I only just dipped a q-tip in to start cleaning. I nearly took the labels right off the controls! Now there are god damn ink smears all over the bastard lol.

Oh well it is a good excuse for a small, frivolous purchase www.oversynth.com.

So far I’m favoring this one: https://www.oversynth.com/product-page/mt-hood-overlay-for-elektron-model-samples …and it would match my Monostation (seems they are borrowing that look).

Otherwise this is my second choice all the way on the other side of the spectrum: https://www.oversynth.com/product-page/sunbleach-overlay-for-elektron-model-samples

While practically having the keyboard keys on the step sequencer buttons is nice, I don’t really use the Samples that way and I think it doesn’t look as pleasing.

I would go with number 2, that looks much nicer against the original white casing, but I see your point on matching the MS…choices…:slight_smile:
Also, I have not tried rubbing alcohol on any of my synths, but that seems odd that it would take up the labeling…I guess it depends on what it is for an ink.

Number 2 wins on readability.

Thanks you two : ) I’ll probably go with #2 I wasn’t super stoked on any of them in particular but I’ll can hardly stand to look at the mess I made on the Samples.

@Creepr, I’m not sure I’ve previously tried to clean the surface of a synth before either. Usually canned air does the trick. But the surface of the Samples, well mine anyway, just got dingy : ( I am not always super tidy but I am clean. I always washed my hands constantly before the pandemic even. But the knobs and white surface really picked up dirt somehow.

My dad taught me to use rubbing alcohol for cleaning when working with electronics. It evaporates quickly and shouldn’t harm them.

And I do see they merged my thread about it on Elektronauts so I’m not the only dumby that ruined his lol.

@Auto-meh-geddon do you find your Cycles getting dingy at all?

I should have my MK1 OctaTrack on Friday. It’s got the mk2 software installed, I’ll probably get that $5 overlay for the newer features.

How the fuck did I go from “all my sampling is in the box” to “what’s the most efficient way to use a MPC2500 and Octatrack together for seamless live performances”?!?!?!

The things that occur to me to do in a DAW are not the same things that occur to me when using hardware. I think I pay way more attention to detail because of the limitations? I dunno lol. I’ve gone back and forth a bunch of times.

It happens to the best of us.

MPC as a main source, OT to cover when you load a new project and as an effect processor.
OT as master so you don’t lose sync when loading new projects on the mpc

I’ll add to what @Auto-meh-geddon said: send the outs of the mpc to the octatrack ins and split your drums and melodic stuff to sample or process individually in the octatrack.
I remember having issues with an mpc 1000 not liking to be slaved to the octatrack tho.

looking at ERM Midiclock device to ensure neither one of the boxes relies on the other for sync. yeah, due to loading etc.