The Hardware Megathread

The first one I fully owned without any borrowed equipment was my Atari ST running Master Tracks Pro, a Yamaha MU5, and my DJ setup all running out to a pair of Bose Roommates (which I still have!).

So I pulled the trigger on a Tascam FW-1082 console/audio interface.

I want motorized faders… so I got motorized faders. Plus I needed more inputs than the US428 provided and instead of buying a small mixer to add extra channels I just said “screw it” and bought an interface with more channels.

I guess I have never owned white plastic gear before but my Model:Samples was getting a bit grimy. I thought rubbing alcohol would be the most responsible thing to use and I only just dipped a q-tip in to start cleaning. I nearly took the labels right off the controls! Now there are god damn ink smears all over the bastard lol.

Oh well it is a good excuse for a small, frivolous purchase www.oversynth.com.

So far I’m favoring this one: https://www.oversynth.com/product-page/mt-hood-overlay-for-elektron-model-samples …and it would match my Monostation (seems they are borrowing that look).

Otherwise this is my second choice all the way on the other side of the spectrum: https://www.oversynth.com/product-page/sunbleach-overlay-for-elektron-model-samples

While practically having the keyboard keys on the step sequencer buttons is nice, I don’t really use the Samples that way and I think it doesn’t look as pleasing.

I would go with number 2, that looks much nicer against the original white casing, but I see your point on matching the MS…choices…:slight_smile:
Also, I have not tried rubbing alcohol on any of my synths, but that seems odd that it would take up the labeling…I guess it depends on what it is for an ink.

Number 2 wins on readability.

Thanks you two : ) I’ll probably go with #2 I wasn’t super stoked on any of them in particular but I’ll can hardly stand to look at the mess I made on the Samples.

@Creepr, I’m not sure I’ve previously tried to clean the surface of a synth before either. Usually canned air does the trick. But the surface of the Samples, well mine anyway, just got dingy : ( I am not always super tidy but I am clean. I always washed my hands constantly before the pandemic even. But the knobs and white surface really picked up dirt somehow.

My dad taught me to use rubbing alcohol for cleaning when working with electronics. It evaporates quickly and shouldn’t harm them.

And I do see they merged my thread about it on Elektronauts so I’m not the only dumby that ruined his lol.

@Auto-meh-geddon do you find your Cycles getting dingy at all?

I should have my MK1 OctaTrack on Friday. It’s got the mk2 software installed, I’ll probably get that $5 overlay for the newer features.

How the fuck did I go from “all my sampling is in the box” to “what’s the most efficient way to use a MPC2500 and Octatrack together for seamless live performances”?!?!?!

The things that occur to me to do in a DAW are not the same things that occur to me when using hardware. I think I pay way more attention to detail because of the limitations? I dunno lol. I’ve gone back and forth a bunch of times.

It happens to the best of us.

MPC as a main source, OT to cover when you load a new project and as an effect processor.
OT as master so you don’t lose sync when loading new projects on the mpc

I’ll add to what @Auto-meh-geddon said: send the outs of the mpc to the octatrack ins and split your drums and melodic stuff to sample or process individually in the octatrack.
I remember having issues with an mpc 1000 not liking to be slaved to the octatrack tho.

looking at ERM Midiclock device to ensure neither one of the boxes relies on the other for sync. yeah, due to loading etc.

Why do guitar pedals be like:

“I’m cheap as shit, but there is a slight chance I’ll be awesome”

“I’m reasonably priced but I might not be better sounding than the cheap ones, just more options”

“Holy fuck take out a loan, but I WILL sound the tits”

R&D.

The first category is people getting lucky playing around with circuits, or happening to have a new-but-smart person doing their development. Most cheap pedals are cheap from development all the way to production, and it shows in most of them being mediocre.

The second is because they’re slight variations on standard, proven circuits that have been around for decades, and the only way to charge a reasonable amount for something like that is to add some bells and whistles (which is dumb cheap and easy from a development and production standpoint - it’s usually a couple of resistors/diodes and a switch or knob).

The last is because they’re digital at the core, and someone very smart, very patient and very hard working spend a fuckload of time figuring out how to do something new and cool in code and then adopt it to a teensy chip (which is a very limited skill set). Because it’s not easy and they did it first, they can charge a king’s ransom for it (I’m looking at you, Strymon).

I’m so glad I know and interact with smart people…I’m out here just all smoothed brained engaging with reality.

Spot on.

Good answers there Artificer. Having spent a ton of time looking at pedals (and less buying them) I agree on your points. Cheap pedals are cheap from a production stand point, which means less R&D. that does not mean they have to sound bad. I would give a shout-out here to most of the TC Electronics “Smorgasbord” line of pedals. I own 4 of them and they are dead simple, but do exactly what they say they will. Also, they have huge knobs (hey now!) that make them easy to manipulate on the fly, and the cables are routed from the back, so you can line them up nicely next to each other.

For those that have not checked out this channel yet, if you like pedals do yourself a favor and watch a bunch of these: https://www.youtube.com/user/jhspedals

Although they make their own stuff, Josh Scott (owner) loves pedals of all stipes and he has some great recommendations for cheaper pedals (f.e. a good number of older Behringer or Danelectro pedals). He is focused on guitar, but of course a lot of these would work great with synths too.

I will check that link out for sure! If that is the same JHS Pedals I’ve seen, he has some interesting ones I have considered. The JHS Colorbox mkii in particular.

Last Monday i got an email from Dirtywave that their M8 tracker was ready for pre-order.
I couldn’t even remember adding my email to the interest list and ive got a polyend tracker anyway.
But that got me curious about the M8, i watched a few videos and ended up ordering one :dizzy_face:

last Wednesday i came across this DIY complex oscillator from ST modular called Oberhausen, its massive HP wise and uses 2 CEM3340 chips, i didnt even want or need another oscillator but the thrill of the build made me order a PCB/Panel, i thought i had a few CEM chips stored away but i cant fined them now :frowning_face:
ive just spent several hours lon the internet ooking for Subminiture toggle switches with Paddles that fix to PCB not panel but can’t find any, thats a shame as they would of looked great on this.

Got in today.

This thing is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Like… waaaaaaay bigger. I’m going to have to re-arrange everything to get it situated properly. Eventually I’ll need a bigger desk for everything too, but that’ll have to wait until I move.

And that damned Apple sticker has to come off.

Those things are huge, bigger than a mackie control.