The Hardware Megathread

This is the closest I got to a heavy metal FM guitar…

It sounds like a very heavily processed lofi metal guitar lol. Crazy

I never thought I’d end up in a relationship with an Fm Synth…

I dig it! You are having a serious fling with the OP Six!

x --------------------------------------------------------------- x

I am currently working on a live, OTB remix but that needs a little more work before the public hears (and sees!) it I think.

I’ve got another beat I’m working on, I don’t want to call it a throw away, but it started as an excuse to play around sequencing the TD3 with the Digitakt (because honestly fuuuuuuuuck sequencing the TD3 with its own sequencer, what a nightmare).

Then I recorded a little vox from one of my favorite, old Sci Fi movies and started adding some additional parts to and it started not sounding half bad. All that to say I will record at least some audio of that beat for ya’ll this evening.

Not quite a double post…

https://idmforums.com/t/house-live-pa-demo-the-sole-relic-call-me-snake/4883

just goofing about on hardware, deets in the OP…

My techno patch from last night.
Somebody on facebook was being inquisitive, so i told him the truth…
“Its just an expensive way of doing something not as good, but it is fun” :joy:

At this point in my life, I’m right there with you. I just want to have fun. My delusions of anything else have been wiped away. That’s a hell of a patch you’ve got going there, sir!

And that’s just the kick…

LOL (stupid software says MUST BE FIVE CHARACTERS…here is your 5 characters, you bastard)

Modular veterans will notice i’ve only used 1 VCA :roll_eyes:

Well, I just factory reset my RD8 for no reason beside I got frustrated and confused, thought something was wrong. WEEEEEEEE. Ah well. Onward and upward!

I don’t know if this would help but I remember with my Analog 4 mk1 desktop you had to turn the oscillators down to 60% volume or less because it just kinda sounded garbage unless you started there. Nothing about it in the manual but at the time that was pretty much the general wisdom on the internet and everything I did sounded loads better after that. Same on my Monostation, if using both oscillators I start at about 50% each for volume.

Likewise, I’ve found myself turning samples’ volume down significantly as a starting place on my Digitakt as well.

In all cases there is plenty of head room in the master volume to get a decent recording.

I wasn’t ever having clipping or too-quiet recording issues but the recordings I am getting now are better.

Super6 has this issue too. Couple of things help:

1. Use an audio cable that matches the synth’s audio connections. Usually, that’s TS. I use TRS everywhere because that’s the bundles I buy and that apparently can drop a synth that isn’t designed for it by 6DB before you ever hit the interface.

2. I still record quiet, and just normalize my audio once I’ve edited my takes together.

3. I don’t love this one, but many of the Super6 folk are saying they are using DI boxes with great success. I guess the idea is that you convert from line to mic level, and then let your interface’s mic pres get the signal to a good level. Seems expensive and roundabout to me.

Do you have a cable to connect the JD to your mouth as well?

Hey @Relic, question on the Monostation: Are you experiencing an “issue” where the master volume does basically nothing for the first 50% of the turn radius? I have found there is a rather narrow band of control available there, which is annoying.

You can get f.e. a Behringer DI box for pretty cheap though, might be worth it to just have one around.
Behringer Ultra-DI DI400P is the one I was scoping out myself. here in Germany it costs €18.

@Creepr I will check that out for you to be certain but I don’t think so. I’ll have to listen carefully. Because of my current routing I’ve been keeping it right at 75-100% on the master volume.

I only use TS for my hardware, and then TRS from the mixer to the recorder ( although I’m currently running a pair of nice guitar cables). Sometimes it can be the cable itself for some reason, so maybe try a different brand if you have one handy. If a have a loudness issue, it’s usually the MS20 mini, so I always have that going into the mixer on a channel with a pre amp. That way I can give it a little boost if needed.

@Creepr holy shit! mine is the same! Right at 50% I can just barely hear it in my headphones. I never noticed it before. I even tried turning the oscs all the way up and opening the filter all the way up, doesn’t change anything really.

@Creeper @Relic, i may be able to enlighten you slightly with a bit of a coincidence.

There isn’t a problem with your Pot its just the fact its a Audio pot and here is why…

I’m about to build a eurorack 4 channel mixer at the weekend.

Ive bought hundreds of potentiometers (pots) over the last 10 years and they come in two types Audio or Linear, now being into eurorack i just automatically thought Audio pots would deal with Audio signals and Linear would deal with voltages until yesterday (how wrong i was)

So the befaco mixer i’m going to build uses Linear pot, i’m thinking thats odd as its only handling Audio and not Voltages.
So when i looked up Audio v Linear pots i found you can use either.

The following is copy/paste from the internet which basically answers your complaint…

Guitar pots generally fall into two taper categories – audio and linear. This describes the point of resistance as the pot is turned. For example, a linear pot has a uniform taper – when the pot is turned to its halfway point of the cycle (50%), it will reach 50% of its total resistance, hence the name linear. It is based on a uniform line, scale and taper. If it is turned to 25% of its cycle, then it will have a resistance reading of 25% and so on.

Audio pots on the other hand will increase/decrease most of its resistance in the final 50% of its rotation. So which one is better and which guitars use linear or audio? It is down to personal preference. The problem with linear pots is that the human ear does not work in the same way. So whilst the resistance reading will be 50% when it is turned half way, our ears will interpret it differently. The easiest way to demonstrate this is to increase and decrease the volume on a radio or your TV. The volume increase from 10-20 is a lot greater than that from 0-10. Despite being equal amounts of volume increase, the difference between the two is unequal. This is why audio pots were invented - to compensate for the fact that human hearing doesn’t work in algorithm form. When both pots are turned all the down, the resistance will be 0% of its stated value and when both pots are fully opened the resistance will be 100% of its stated value. The difference between the two is the levels as they are being rotated.