The Hardware Megathread

Congrats! I’ve have heard wonderful things : ) And always nice to have two pieces of gear from the same company that are meant to compliment one another.

pulled the trigger on a Befaco Crush Delay for my eurorack glitch delay patch i’ve been prototyping in VCV rack.

I ordered a Volca Drum today. Not the worst thing I could have done, as far as impulsive buys go.

See this to me looks pretty awesome. It’s things like this that I’m interested to see coming out where a manufacturer pushes the envelope in some way. Standard analog polys are great and all but I like seeing new shit like this. Looks like a great, inspiring machine.

I wasn’t a fan of the Volca Keys but I am convinced there is a Volca that fits into what I do.

Nice grab.

Picked up a Neutron for a decent price. Figured what the hell, maybe stave off the GAS for awhile.

I probably will pick up a Keystep at some point as it looks like it will do MIDI to CV pass thru from a DAW, so that sounds fun for the Neuton and my home built crap.

I don’t have the desire for most of the older stuff. Only been making music about 7 years and been paying attention to hardware maybe 4 or 5. So to me, Matrixbrute is like my vintage lust (and I have one). Most of the stuff that I’ve ever thought about buying was 2010 and newer. Not that I actively despise the older stuff, the newer stuff is just what I know for the most part.

And I apparently forgot how obnoxiously expensive 3.5mm patch cables are. Ugh. Guess I’ll be rolling my own. I’ve got a couple of longer cables around, but I included the bulk of my 3.5 patch cables when I sold off my Eurorack stuff years back (“because I’m never never going to go down this rabbit hole again!”). Redco and Amazon to the rescue.

Not really. I guess it depends on what you mean by vintage. I honestly think the new breed of digital synths that have been coming out in the last couple years are way more interesting than the stuff of yore. I guess I see some of the attraction if you’re looking for cheap OTB stuff, but most everything I’d consider ‘vintage’ is done better and cheaper by VSTs now.

Se years ago I went on a vintage gear spree. I didn’t end up picking up anything all that interesting and lost plenty of money getting rid of it.

Given unlimited space and money Id like to have all the old Electribes but that isn’t about making music.

Might be completely different results for you :slight_smile: But for my money I like modern features and a warranty (such as they are).

those 1/8 in cables are the only ones ive not rolled up myself.

I managed to score a huge # of them when a local modular boutique liquidated, so I’m good, but Im curious how it goes for ya.

I was wondering what was up with that thing, (keystep) I see it in most vids I’m watching that are demoing the things I’m interested in. That makes all the sense now

Yeah, I kept seeing it in demo videos (like every yootuber has one, maybe they send you one when you start a synth channel). More I’ve looked at it it’s a crazy swiss army controller - 32 keys w/ velocity/aftertouch, mappable knobs, full MIDI implementation, CV note/gate/pitch, MIDI to CV, chord mode, arpeggiator, polyphonic 64 step sequencer, and you can even play over the MIDI to CV, it looks like. It also has what looks to be a nice software configuration program as well. At $129 new, I’m shocked it’s not a Behringer product :laughing:

There’s also the Keystep 37 which gets you a full three octave keyboard and MIDI CC control along with a few more bells and whistles. I’m not sure the extra $40 and larger footprint is worth it for me, but it does look nice.

Not super exciting but got myself a Western Digital Passport to back up my DJ music and samples. For some reason our local Best Buy was having a really stupid reduction on the 2 TB black models.

Damnit, I just bought a Novation Launch Control on eBay. I dunno what the fuck is wrong with me. GASin’ hard.

im in the same boat, i have this delay coming and now im like… YOU NEED MORE SAMPLE AND HOLD MODULES… so… yeah thats a thing. Im going to see if WMD has any old stock/testers of their modbox i might be able to score for a discount.

The delay will be the heart of a patch that does triggered randomized pseudo buffer repeats. trig out to the S&H for delay time with a mult-ed trig to a 2nd S&H for feedback time. this delay has a send/return that you can feed stuff (ie bitcrusher) to the feedback path so… its gonna be pretty IDM over here for a bit.

oh and Attenuverters. gotta limit the range of those S&H modules so i can tame the chaos a bit.

Tracker arrived today, had about 2 hours with it and first impressions are i’m very happy.
Its smaller than i thought (which is a good thing) the cables and connections you get with it are well thought out.
You get this very neat felt dust cover with it that ive never heard anybody mention.
I spent the last 2 days watching videos so i thought i was going to be an instant expert but as usually my mind kinda went blank when it was in-front of me, however i had a track made in no time.

The second i turned it on i updated to the latest 1.3 firmware which was a very simple process.

Always wanted a box i could take away from the computer and make music, i’ve bought a few elektrons with this in mind but elektrons are at a level of complexity where you have to use them regular or all is forgotten, the tracker is different is far easier to use, it sound great. its costs £439, they could of asked £800 and id of still felt the same.

Man, the hardware megathread ain’t been this gassy in a long time. I’m loving it! hahaha

Yeah, your cascading GAS sounds about like mine - gonna get this thing, oh yeah I also need this thing and that thing and maybe I should have that other thing if I’m gonna do that… down the deep dark rabbit hole. And you can never have too many attenuvertors.

That patch sounds crazy. Going to need some sound samples when you make it happen.