Television Thread

The sandman is out on netflix today.

Yay

Sandman Ep1 jolly good. Charles Dance plays Charles Dance most excellently. Who knew :smiley:

Orville S3 now complete. They have a climax building to Ep 9 and they totally knock it out of the park. Ep 10 they don’t even try to compete with that, they do a low key ep which is fun and quite silly. Fucking Bortus. Brilliant.
Don’t know if we’re ever getting any more Seth Trek. All the actors’ contracts have ran out, I suspect due to a combo of pandemic and TV studio fuckery/delays. If its over, I’ve got a lot of happy chuckles and sci-fi goodness out of it even if I’m greedy for more.

Aww, that would be really sad, I hope they it keep going somehow… my fav TV show for the last few years… So much better than all the other Star Trek even though they brought Picard back hehe (I’m not hating on the Picard show btw, I don’t agree with most of the critique about it, it’s probably my second fav show)…

I’m not a trekkie, but I am a fellow fan of Chuck. I would like to see another show hang on by a thread for as long as that one did.

Chuck? Never heard of it :rofl:

Welll… fuck. I was sure I remembered you saying something about it once. Weird that I would remember that and not my own birthday, but hey brains are weird amirite?

NO WAIT A SECOND YOUR DAMN AVATAR IS FROM THE THEME SONG!

Very funny.

:smiley:

Halo S1: Great

This is awesome low brow dumb-as-fuck sci-fi with heaps of skullduggery and people screwing each other over. You can predict a lot of it but not all.

Its a great ride with an epic backdrop.

I believe a lot of the game fans complain about Masterchief’s helmet coming on and off when they think it should be stuck on all the time. Nope. This is not Judge Dredd. James Bond was never described in the books so you could imagine yourself as him and when it came to cinema people just went hey, Sean Connery… great. Here many have complained. Cheer up, if you’re paying attention, in the last 5 or 10 secs of the last ep of S1 you’ll figure out why the helmet comes off and on.

Loved this series when I totally expected to dis all over it. An unexpected joy. Lots of flaws if you want to pick holes of course. I just chortled and sucked down imaginary popcorn.

The sandman…

Stays true to the comic…

23 something years in development limbo and dayumn its good…

I’m sure some will think it’s too “woke” but I am really enjoying the Fresh Prince reboot, “Bell Air.”

Woke doesnt mean woke anymore…it got hijacked…by idiots

Id say conscientious…

Looking at the trailer id say it definitely works as a drama.

Yea. Agreed. It’s a cool show. It only vaguely draws from the original but in a way that I think anyone can appreciate no matter how much one watched the OG version.

I wanna see kristen ritter and jon bernthal do a crossover as jessica jones and the punisher.

Alas a man can dream.

Star wars visions…

Omg how did i miss this.

Wow

Rings of Power… My 2 cents:

I watched those two episodes and I couldn’t entirely pinpoint what was missing. Some will say “good acting?” and they won’t be wrong - IMO only the (human) woman was actually believable and maybe the dwarf as well.

Then I realized that what’s missing is warmth. This thing is joyless. Hopefully it gets better because as it is, there’s not really any character I care about. Even Galadriel is rather bland. Eh.

Since there will be comparisons, at lest the GoT prequel has good actors who actually seem to believe in what they’re doing.

Paradise pd is more way more fucked up than south park…

Holy shit…

I didnt think it was possible…

Rings of Power is lacking something. I’m really easy to please as far as TV about fandoms I like. It is just plain not good. I’ll try a bit more.

Paradise PD is totally just fucked up lol.

I like Rings of Power. The nomadic hobbits are a bit guff. I’m waiting for them to find a patch of land they can call the Shire so we can all move on with our lives.

I’ve cut the show some slack because they’re cramming in a lot of people in the first few eps when they might have been better to slowly introduce and expand. I described the first ep to She Who Must Be Adored as feeling like a very long trailer for a TV series rather than a strong opener and she pretty much agreed.

Numenor looks great. Apparently some fans are upset because the books do not say that Galadriel ever went to Numenor. For stuff like that I don’t really care. Oftentimes in film and TV they amalgamate characters into one so they can keep the scope down a bit. By doing it they get to show the Numenorian backstory without having to create another main character.

Lastly, unless the show deviates I already know who Sauron is. Its in the MERP RPG, which I used to play :smiley: It will be in the source material ofc but its even longer since I read that.

Yea I was telling someone else that while I’m not currently a super fan I do understand they are doing a ton of character development and set up at this point.

They are turning what is essentially a history book into a narrative. So there is that too.

Aye, the Silmarillion doesn’t read like a novel but a collection of background stuff loosely put together into stories. Cos that is what it was - background for the story Tolkien wanted to tell after making up pretend languages and cultures as thats what tickled him.