Pictures of your setup

That’s a funky setup, DJ gear and a 9 string!
How does one even play 9 strings!
Looks cool.

Death to bass players :rofl:

I can’t even play a one string.

9 string? Does it go djun djun djun, though?

My favorite music includes Techno , doom metal, black metal and death metal.
Playing 9 strings is a pain in the ass and requires a lot of muting technique.

Well it’s tuned to low C# so a 5 string bass player has two notes I can’t play. LOL.
Mainly I bought it so I can laze out and come up with both guitar parts and bass parts without changing guitars.

it djents really nicely.

Iphone recording. But it gets pretty low.

Yes, it took this long to get my rig up and running. No it’s not even close to the way it’s supposed to be.

The PC is still sitting on my coffee table. The board is mounted, the psu is loose in there, and the dvd drive needs to be screwed in. I really want to use it instead of my old laptop but it’ll do until I stop being lazy.

And I have a Radium 61 on the way.

OMG Windows XP!!! :DD

Nice toys tho

It was either that or Vista…

XP was pretty stable if I remember. No harm in that.

Unless it’s connected to the internet, then it’s 100% insecure. That’s exactly where botnets come from.

It’s extremely stable and all of my hardware and software are at home with it.

It’s not connected to anything, not even my own home network.

However, XP is still getting security releases directly from M$. XP for POS machines is still getting regular releases and to get those patches is a simple registry change away. However, I have no need for this machine to be connected to the internet for any reason, so I haven’t done it and it will remain that way.

BTW, the majority of those C&C servers that any piece of malware written for XP would even attempt to connect to are gone. There’s such a thing as “secure through obsolescence”.

XP does not get regular security patches and hasn’t since 2014 (unless you’re the US Government or another entity that paid for the extended critical support). The last security patch it got was in 2019 for RDP exploits (CVE-2019-708). Before that it was 2017 for WannaCry/NSA Tools. Embedded POSReady hasn’t had a security patch since April of last year, and won’t ever again, even via registry changes.

I do agree the target surface is a lot smaller - anyone with an XP machine isn’t likely much of a target these days, but I still wouldn’t take the chance, personally.

That’s all probably pretty true! I wasn’t thinking so much about internet security as when I was still using a desktop I put together myself for music I ran XP for a long time because it never crashed or BOD or anything like that. Pretty sure I jumped from XP right to Windows 10 however many years ago. But yea, I probably wouldn’t connect it to the internet much if I was doing that : )

That’s what I was talking about, though I was mistaken. Windows XP POSReady finally stopped receiving security updates back in July of 2019; I thought it was still getting patches.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-xp-dies-final-death-as-embedded-posready

I was using XP in this manner on my Dell Mini 10 netbook until I flipped it to Linux back in 2018 (it’s now running OpenBSD). I seem to remember more patches than that though.

Regardless, if it’s offline, it’s perfect. I do miss XP sometimes, it was solid in ways that newer OSs can only dream of.

Honestly, I think there’s a lot to be said for a stand alone audio production system like what @misterjones313 is doing. None of the distractions of the internet, no security issues, no extra crap to clog up the drives, just music making. It’s like a big, fancy version of all that stuff you yahoos are always drooling over in the Hardware thread :stuck_out_tongue: