Pandemic social distancing diary thread

but the directors did! It just didn’t feel right with the Aliens style movies. Those movies are kinda scary, and people get killed and aliens and all but I didn’t feel it had o be a kid who got killed, it felt more like shock horror rather than, spooky, stranded-in-space-with-a-xenomorph horror. Those types of movies just aren’t my taste. Feels like they’re just purposely filming something taboo just to be like, “ohhh this is taboo and we’re doing it”, it just feels like a gimmick, except it’s actually uncomfortable to watch, and the only statement it seems they’re making is that they’re trying to be edgy, and that’s the whole gimmick.

AVPR is lovable schlock trash, in my book. :heart:

The only one I I don’t like is Resurrection, buuuut it DOES have Brad Douriff in it…

Is that the scientist guy who marvels at the human/alien hybrid before it takes a bite into his skull?

Resurrections is absolutely fantastic as well, it gets better with time. Plus yeah @Vlantis, Douriff rules. He helps carry a lot of weight in that picture.

Is it A list? Certainly not. It’s still immensely more enjoyable than Alien Covenant, ugh

Yep.

@nose, you’re bonkers, Covenant rules.

I’m an admin and I don’t like being dragged into this conversation not I like to agree with Vlantis but Covenant is great and careful what you guys post next or I might start swinging the banhammer.

Semi-unrelated track:

All subjective and nothing wrong with liking what you like. But for me…

Prometheus isn’t quite so terrible on a second watch but it isn’t good. Lovely spaceship design.
Covenant is shite. Fucking dreadful/miserable wate of time. Its so bad I can’t even be bothered spelling waste properly.

Between both of them they soil/spoil the mystery of the Alien and thus a lot of the dread of the unknown. Possibly could have been ok if they made the source of the mystery great but they didn’t. It was origin-turd of the highest order. As presented, going for the origin just undermines the Alien and adds nothing to the whole universe. Instead it humdrums the shit out of it.

AvP 1: Cheapo everyone-is-dead meh. Shoulda just stuck to Colony. Couple of cool fights but that doesn’t justify a whole film. The score has one good riff they use to death. Its a good riff though even if not exactly building atmosphere :smiley:
AvP 2: Cheapo everyone-is-dead meh but the start on the Pred spaceship is good. They kill the kid fast rather than giving the Cutesy Kid plot immunity. So that’s alright.

In both of the above they are killing everyone off so fast there’s no time to get invested in any of the characters so both films descend into an excercise in guessing who pops next. Dull dull dull.

Alien: Great
Aliens: Great
Alien 3: Ok. Not scary. British luvvies as prisoners were hilarious. All the engaging characters were killed off very early so you know, whoops. After that, yawn til the end.
Alien 4: lol (not for all the right reasons) but fun. Hybrid is the worst creature design in the whole franchise. Weaver apparently nailed that basket shot to everyone’s great surprise.

Predators: More fun than it should be. Something about it just works but its not great.
The Predator: Could have been a hoot. Wasn’t. Still some good stuff in it but very much a missed opportunity. The end bit with the armour is cringeworthy.

Some of the Aliens and AvP books were great, as were the comics. Didn’t read all but quite a few.

Alan Dean Foster’s novelization of Alien was interesting since it was based on the original script and had a few bits not in the film.

No AvP will ever be as good as the good old Capcom brawler.

I’ve been really wanting to rewatch Predator 2 actually, because when I was a kid, the first one was always my fav, but I did see the second. Now that I’m an adult tho, I’ve read more on Predator 2 and how it was a bit unique, and I mean, it’s Predator in an urban environment with Danny Glover!! I need to track down a copy of that one to rewatch, cuz it’s been a WHILE.

I’m actually not sure I ever watched The Predator, I know I saw a new predator was coming out, somehow I guess I missed it. It probably wasn’t playing in my area anyway tho, which may have been why (I live in a small college town surrounded by 60+ miles of nothing).

The whole of the second half of Pred 2 is a chase :smiley:

I like both films and loved seeing Danny Glover as the main, even if he wasn’t quite convincing as a badass cop. Maybe that’s due to Lethal Weapon rather than his acting abilities, never quite decided.

It was a nice nod to Pred 2 having Jake Busey show up in The Predator but I wish he’d been in it more than just a throwaway.

Fuck you all. Covenant is SO good.

I remember seeing it at the cinema and about half way through just wanting it to be over I was so bored.

^It’s really good!

Hey guys, I just got food poisoning from taco bell.

It has been purged.

Fun!

covenant is awful. The only positive thing about it, was that it made Prometheus actually okay.

I really didn’t need the origins of the alien to be explained at all, I preferred the mystery. Not that it was some outcome of an experiment by a snooty android with a god complex and daddy issues.

I got my own headcanon. Those movies are sequels, and David just recreated it.

Bah!

David didn’t make the aliens, he just followed the recipe. The jockeys were the ones that made it, which is what I thought was supposed to happen after Prometheus. Like, isn’t that what they were doing at the end of Prometheus? I haven’t seen Covenant since it came out in theatres.

Went on a hike in between jobs with a lovely lady (pretty sure I’m in the friend zone (for now, muahaha!!!), but what a crush :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) who managed to find her way back to this half-remembered spot from three years ago:

Vlantis, you’re putting animals in a bucket of bleach, you’re bangin plastic butts, friend zoning females (for now!) out in these woods with strange sculptures and painted trees, when is the new documentary out XD

Forget the documentary, this feels like album material.

^Wellllll, my music creation capabilities are still not back to 100% yet. I’m slowly working on it.

Silicone, actually. :face_with_monocle: