Feedback and help from the community

There are also the “Latest” and “Newest” links at the top of the site that allow to see the new posts. If @Auto-meh-geddon and @RFJ think the stickies need removed we will do it. Thanks.

Whatever the community wants is fine with me. I’ve noticed that problem too so maybe it is best to do away w them.

relic & RFJ:
Don’t get me wrong here, stickys is a great way to inform new users about the rules in the sub forums. But they should not be shown as the top topic on the front page, in my opinion!

Also, when browsing on a phone (don’t know how it looks on a computer yet) I cant see who created the thread and who was the last poster. I think that would make it easier too to know if someone has posted after you.

Or maybe thats just my way of browsing, looking at last poster.

Right on, I’ll get rid of some stickies. Give it a shot though…maybe it is an admin thing only…but I think you can unpin things for yourself, again not sure this isn’t an admin exclusive ability. Try click in the thumb tack symbol.

Oh! You CAN unpin it yourself! Fantastic, then I’m cool with that one! Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

Awesome! Btw I did go ahead an unpin a few things anyway in The Studio.

It might be a really good idea to only list active threads on the main page, not the pinned threads, for a specific reason: when new users come to the forum, they see a list of subforums with 3 threads each on the main page. If these threads are not active, the image might be that the forum is dead or much less active than it is, even though there are many active threads, since these are not visible on the main page due to the inactive sticky threads…

Yea. I unpinned a bunch of stuff :slight_smile:

But is it not possible to just list active threads on the main page? So sticky threads can stay as sticky as they want to be without showing up on the main page when there is no activity in these threads? (Not that it’s a problem, just clarifying what I meant ^^ )

edit: I think I get it now - pinned is the thing on the main page, I thought it’s a differen term for sticky lol…

Yea pinned and sticky are the same thing. Lol. Sorry about that. To your point…the way things are now I don’t think we can do what you suggest.

Ahh, thanks, at least I’m less confused now :smiley:

Yea there are different kinds of pins. What RFJ has been doing w releases is a “global pin”. I think…

if you think about it the forum is like a really shitty MUD where the gameplay is to exchange noises to make music with player characters to release for an invisible audience.

IDMUDf

"The dialog in this game sucks!! Who programmed this shit?!

If anyone else keeps having this problem, I figured it out! All by myself! I’m so proud!
You have to make a new paragraph for the quoted text, separating it from the quote tags. That’s it ^^

Cool, nice. I never seemed to have the problem so was curious.

Ok guys, together with an IDMf guy (Thanks @psyber )we’ll be looking at the forum structure.
So it looks like apart from what to pin/not pin, the most pressing issue is the goddamn orange fade.

Post below if there’s anything else you can’t live with or that really bothers you.

Phase 1, fixing the annoying bits, phase 2, we’ll look into some forum plugins, so for the time being, do not ask for new functionality, keep the suggestions below to fixes.

Imho it would be nice to have only active threads displayed on the main forum page with all the subforums visible and/or increase the visible threads for each subforum on that page to 4 or 5 instead of 3.

How about having the ‘latest’ ones or a landing page with a blurb, like the Elektron forum?

I second this, basically any way we can make our forum work like Elektronauts I’m all for. That was my inspiration to suggest the Discourse software in the first place.

As the old site crashing and being completely lost was due to not having a usable backup, I amend that we keep an up-to-date backup of everything on the site, so as not to have a repeat of the idmf annihilation of 2018.