DnB/Jngl CHLLNG #2: Old School Jungle

Dub techno you say…

Ok :+1:

Also those tracks sound a lot different than my dub tech house attempts…

I now have a better frame of reference.

Cause before i was just bassing around in the dark with dub techno…

I think ill try to make dub tribal techno. When the challenge is up.

I dont know what i’m doing but here it is UPDATED
I must say it’s heavy
DELETED LINK

Cool : ) I am re learning a lot of this stuff myself as I gave up on making DnB for years and years

Thank you for suggestion to make DnB/Jungle because it was really fun. And maybe i want to try make another tracks for myself in that genre

So, not really sure this is jungle. I avoided a 4/4 drum pattern and tried to integrate samples into the song. I think it turned out good, but I wish I had more time/patience to clean up how the samples work in the rhythm of the song, ducking drums and other parts around them for example. Other than that, lifted an old chord progression of mine out of another fast paced song and worked from there, so the writing was done in around half an hour, and the mix was another couple of hours once I chose all the sounds. For turning around so fast I’m happy with what I have here.

Yo @relic you got nice track !

Good news, I think I figured out the rhythm. Maybe I will upload new version soon.
It will be 100% DnB for sure i Think :grin:

I’m not very happy with the result, but this track is ok

Cool : ) I will make a play list post of all the links sometime after midnight EST 18 May

I’ll make the link list when I get to work. We will have a little cool down and I’ll post the next one (DnB/Jngl CHLLNG #3: Dub Techno) Monday. If you want to start early it will be a similar challenge to this–capture the spirit of the sound by any means necessary. There are some examples posted earlier up in this thread. Personally, I am already planning on NOT adhering to the standard four to the floor kick drum pattern for this, so feel free to experiment as well.

bfk

Gadfly

relic

WhiteNoise

st3aLth

Relic gadfly :100:

White noise and stealth…the drum pattern needs work also melody and bass should accent the beat or syncopate/cross with it.

Ill defo have a listen this evening yall.

Yes, I don’t really like the result either. But I still sent something. I still don’t understand how they cut these breaks.

You can do it right on the timeline of your DAW. It is typically done in a sampler that can set slices, then you sequence the slices. Also, often, artists adjust the tempo/pitch of the sample to the tempo they want to work in. I use my hardware sampler which can slice samples, if I were using my DAW I’d use the Imageline Slicex sampler.

I will still listen and comment. I apologize for being late on everything, adjusting to meds is a bitch.

What DAW are you in? If you’re in FL Studio, I think Slicex is included. You just drop the sample in there and it auto-detects and chops drum hits out of loops. I think the ableton equivalent is simpler:

Thank you. I use Reaper. I just don’t understand how they make such a moving rhythm. But I think I realized that it’s just necessary to cut the break loop and rearrange it.

A couple of free VST options reaper should be able to host. Note I haven’t used either of these, but just looking at them they look like they’d do fine.

https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html

https://www.tx16wx.com/

I would go for Momentum first, it looks much more streamlined for slicing loops, but I’m sure TX16W can do it as well. TX16W has a bit of a reputation for being hard to learn, and it does a lot of other things that are overkill for just a slicer.

Nailed it! Chopping breaks is a “sweet science” but at its core that’s all it is, cutting up a break and rearranging it.

Happy vacation day @relic

Anybody wanna do something new for the label?