CHLLNG #3: Dub Techno

That track I was working on last weekend, I did end up finishing a few days ago, but it’s more downtempo than dub techno.
It came out pretty cool, but doesn’t fit this challenge unfortunately, so back to the drawing board for me.

I may do another revision of this or submit something else entirely if I come up with a substantially different/better idea. As it is, I think this is fine, but a little too obviously structured.

The techno aspect is this is the most drum dominated song I’ve ever done, only the bass (which is partly microtonal with a few notes fine tuned to the frequency I heard in my head by ear) and the atonal FM chord stab (which wasn’t atonal enough for me so I put it through a multiband frequency shifter and shifted the bands around by random amounts that are all modulated throughout the song) aren’t drums, and there’s definitely no melody.

As for the dub aspect, the kick is going to a send with delay that is filtered out most of the time, but that filter does get modulated throughout the song. The snare is an obvious delay modulation target, so I play with that one, though in some parts it gets a bit wonky for my taste, I kept it in because dub. Those atonal FM stabs are also interesting, that sound is going to 3 different sends - a short narrow dark reverb, then as soon as that one dies, a longer brighter wider reverb, and then that is gated and sent into a delay to fill in some of the space between stabs that the reverb just couldn’t reach. All the rest of the sounds (hihats and bass) are going into a shared reverb just to give everything a sense of space, a little heavy on the verb, but I felt it fit in this case.

I tried synthesizing a digeridoo and making a complementary digeridoo rhythym to the beat…

Cause dub techno could use some digeridoo…lol imo.

I’m around ya’ll. Keep on truckin’ (or something).

Can someone refresh my memory, when is the deadline for this submission?

23 June (ish)

I am trying to hang in there ya’ll. Don’t know if I’ll submit to this one, but I am dedicated to running this : )

If we get enough tracks from all these bass oriented challenges maybe we can make an bass anthology mark 2 idmf release…maybe or something.

Idk…im not dictating just thinking out loud.

Hello guys ! :stuck_out_tongue:

@White_Noise OMG Nice Intro ; Solid pressure

Wubba lubba dub dub.

Saying it because of the word dub

Yea if everyone wants to hold on to their tracks we can definitely do something even if it isn’t an official official release. I could possibly do a DJ mix as well.

Alright, here’s my submission. I was trying to keep with the vibe of the genre; very minimal dub techno: in the style of Basic Channel, DeepChord, and Echospace. It’s a mix of software, hardware, and me playing bass.
Enjoy!

Bassvolution

Bump

Dubbin bro

Hey yall. Ill have a listen when I can. I’m not going to drama dump here but I will probably be stepping away from the forum. Nothing super serious, life is just going a different direction and I am just not checking the forum.

Best wishes

That sucks, are these monthly challenges going to continue?

You all are welcome to continue, no special permission is needed. I don’t want to make a promise I am not going to keep though. I’m really just not checking or thinking of the forum these days. All someone would need to do is make the post with the instructions.

I hear ya, well good luck in the future! Hope to see you back from time to time

Yoyoyo. I listened some dub techno tracks from 1990-1996 from the list. Pretty cool feedback delays there. :blush:

oof, i misremembered that the deadline was 26th instead of 23rd. i guess i’ll still throw it in. couldve tinkered with it more, and my cpu was giving me troubles but it was fun. also it was fun listening to a ton of dub techno to get in the vibe. cheers!

Anybody wanna do something new for the label?