BB127 Eh...I don't know

Thank you for the answer @7asid Appreciate yah!

I like everyone’s submissions including my own.

@amongthestars and @TvMcC were fun to listen to as well as simplistic in execution.
@orangeslice was also fun simple and somewhat nostalgic as well as ambient and almost Lofi with a hint of Jazz. Sounds like a spaceship traveling the galaxy.
@relic went the extra mile or two and did lots of things and lots of details. Reminds me of suspense music from a thriller, mixed with industrial sounds, breakbeat, ambiance. With a tiny bit of jazz.
@7asid You are definitely creative. I like the way you used the samples and used the vsts to your advantage and the vibe coming off of it was pleasant.

For me it was a tough one between @orangeslice and @relic

However, I’m going to vote @orangeslice just because of the feeling I’m getting from it. I like how it sounds.

Orangeslice
1 Vote

agh! i misread this to mean i had until the 13th to submit. anyways heres my WIP out of competition

its not very glitchy, and i used VSTs for the bass and two leads

i dont think there were any melodic parts in the samples that werent chords haha, made things a little trickier

@7asid Yeah I mistyped when I only said the thirteenth. However, since I did that you are fine to upload the track here and you are able to vote on who you like. I’ll accept it. :] I like your song track by the way.

thanks! for the record generally we allow anyone from the community to vote, not just participants, i think maybe we should clarify that in the beat battles general rules section

@amongthstars - lots of little micro edits, and quirky fun play on the concept already set in place by the sample pack.

@Soundbyt_DJ - your track(s) feel as if they convey the idea you had in mind for the pack the most, after all it was your samples. a lot of familiar glitches, with a driving backbone.

@relic - heavy re-sampling, washed in some verbs, and live jamming to get the dbls, and stutters going. all crossed with a bit of phasers, and filtering to settle the dub vibe in.

@orangeslice - at 1st I thought this was like a kid cuddi(sp?) type beat that was going to drop, but instead it stayed in this sort of suspended drone vibe. few edits to exhibit some granular textures, reverses, and stretches add to the overall vibe you went for.

@7asid - this sort of reminds me a bit of the band/act Air, bouncy, yet almost shoegaze rock style type thing. the use of the foley/ambience to create some of the textures in the background work throughout to help tie the tune together.

all fun jams, and glad we got more than 2 participants!

vote goes to amongthestars

Oh, this was a good one. My thoughts and vote are the following:

@TvMcC
Really fun work with the drum track and cool robot noises. It was an ambient track that didn’t feel too repetitive or fade into the background, which I found impressive.

@relic
A cool dub track that used lots of the samples extensively. I also thought the transitions and arrangement really were top-notch and kept the song progressing.

@orangeslice
A cool chopped-up vibe. The bass fits right in with the given samples and the dialogue sample was a cool addition.

@7asid
I really liked the real-world noises contrasting the more industrial samples. It gave the song a powerful base to build up a great track.

In the end my vote goes to @orangeslice. I feel like it really nailed the challenge while simultaneously giving a song I could enjoy repeatedly. Congratulations!

I believe that makes the current vote total as follows:

@orangeslice 2

@amongthestars 1

update:

I forgot Soundbyte’s track; my apologies!

@Soundbyte_DJ
A very stong rhythm kept this song grooving and the samples were modified to somehow become glitchier. What you did with the drums in particular was excellent.

I’m going to take an admin’s privilege and not leave specific comments for everyone, I’m buried in teacher shit here at the end of the semester. I sincerely appreciate the feedback from everyone on my little ditty. I did have a good listen to everyone’s entry, I forgot how cool it was to see how everyone uses the samples differently. I’ll give my vote to orangeslice this time though.

Oh well! lol XD @amongthestars Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate that.
Thanks for clarifying who can vote @7asid I was not sure who could vote on it besides the participants.

So far:

@Amongthestars

@orangeslice

@relic

I have also added a bit of text that says anyone from idmf can vote up in the first post.

Alright, here we go:

@Soundbyte_DJ - Impressive stuff! I liked the energy in the track - lots of fun, changeups. - hardly a dull moment.

@amongthestars - Another energetic track. I like how you pitched the samples around to create the chord progression and the kick and hat work.

@7asid - Nice mixing. This soooo reminds me of Super Mario RPG; I really loved the melodic work about 3:40 into the song.

@relic - Immediate respect for all the processing and detailed description of your work. There were a lot of good transitions, and I liked the dark mood. Also, the length pulled me into the experience.

@TvMcC - A lot of interesting sample processing going on. I really like the percussive hat sound you created. This gives me a kinda creepy noir vibe.

I’m going to vote relic here. I was impressed by all the processing, and I also liked the mood of project. Nice work!

Winner is (imaginary drum roll please!) @orangeslice congrats nicely done!

Thank you all!

Now, :grimacing: on to making a sample pack. Oof

If you need help with anything let me know. And that is a general statement…seems we’ve lost some of the main beat battle crew. Until a community member wants to pick up of being in charge of the BB, I’ll be the admin go-to for the battles. I’m not in charge as this is a community project. But if you need advice or need a thread moved or something please don’t hesitate to message me.

I’ll also be participating as much as I can, so I’ll be around and watching.

As far as what is allowed in the sample packs I know back in the day were kind of tight asses about it. For now lets say anything unrecognizable is cool but lets avoid anything from pay-to-play sample packs.

Yeah… I’m sort of always around to help as well, but keep in mind beat battles started as a fun thing, and is community driven!

As relic mentioned, we’ve tried to keep packs away from a copywriting issue. If you own the rights to something, fair game! But pretty anything, and everything has gone in em! So just get wild wit it, and have fun!

Look forward to hopefully having time to participate.

Best of

Oh also…glad to have some new energy, hope no old bitter heads get to you, and maybe like relic, some of the “dated” members might reengage!
@Jazzyspoon don’t think Ig88(or whatever his name is floats around), @Roo_Stercogburn, @_ms, won’t keep name dropping…but you know who you are! :wink:

Thanks, @TvMcC and @relic

I’ve been working on the pack since this morning. So far, I’ve been using Kontakt instruments and synths I own (running through FX chains in some cases)- and creating loops that I’m exporting as audio and MIDI. Those should be fine, yeah?

And I have a bunch of samples - either free or purchased, but I can avoid the purchased ones and just use:

• Free samples

• Virtual instruments

• Synths

to create sounds for the pack?

People have been known to use samples others have created, or dumps from off of a machine that are presets. Or breaks with copyright ownership, so I suppose yeah…

So I don’t see how any of that should be a problem.

Simple drum synthesis is quick and easy like snare = triangle + some noise: slight above noon/12o’clock (lowpass cutoff -12 works) cutoff filter, no ADSR or play with an envelopes decay to get it to hiss/crack/punch

Unless a majority states they have a problem with it, then it’s up to you. Just keep it to things you have the rights to use/distribute…i think

If you are having trouble with drums Gold Baby has a fantastic selection of reasonably sized free sample packs based on their pay-to-play packs.

I just downloaded the Thermonic Solid State freebie and it looks like it has the basics.

Hey, thanks, relic! I have plenty of sounds to work with. I’ll give those a listen though. I consider myself more of a downtempo artist, and I like acoustic sounds; so - I think you all will find this pack pretty interesting.

I’m keeping everything to the same key and about the same BPM to make it easier for me (and possibly everyone else too) and making a bunch of 4 bar loops and some one-shots that you all can chop, repitch, whatever…

I might put a related song on Metapop (using the loops), but - I’m going to sit out on the actual competition.