BB101 - Acidhead's Delight

i have to say the quality of the submissions has been really high lately.

buttt
Imma have to vote for Tsachi. Can’t resist the unexpected direction he took it in, when that slow 808 beat came in I was already onboard.

Word on both counts, so another vote for Tsachi. Killer track and bonus points for using only the provided samples.

Hey @Vulpes, your preview track disappeared.

I updated this post back on the duedate instead of submitting a new post. FLAC for submitting, MP3 for previewing. That post should be functioning properly.

It seems ok on my phone. I was making the list of tracks so I’ll update the link when I’m free. I’m about to watch a Broadway version of Tommy, by The Who at a local performance center.

Some random comments:

bfk/XVF: I like the sharpness of this. Great synth-pads/drones! Bass and drums have been skillfully weaved into some kind of single Jenkinsonian organism. Impressive stuff.

TvMcvC: This one feels like hip hop. The room effects on it creates and illusion like the music coming out of a portable speaker box (or perhaps that 's just my imagination). The composition is pleasingly disorientating, but without losing the feeling of the music happening in a real location, keeping it grounded. I like the unco,pressed/ open dynamics on this

VALK: The extreme sub bass frqs. are very loud in the mix un my speakers. Better on headphones. The ”robot-like” beat programming and gloomy pads is giving me science fiction associations. I can’t decide if the mood is happy or not. The ambivalence is interesting.

Vulpes: I did not expect home-made fox-shaman vocal recordings in an acid competition. I like it, though! The beat style is pretty hard-hitting, creating a nice contrast to the chanting. It would be interesting to hear the vocals faded up instead of down at the very end (ending the track in a sudden abrupt crescendo instead).

MFXX: Using the samples/slices straight ahead works well. Hypnotic intro! Mushroom Man! Ha ha! The energy build up in this is intense!

Mnkvolcno: Some nice elaborate drum variations here. The multilayered percussion towards the end is brilliant.

Tsachi: Some wild sub bass frqs. on this too (perhaps my subwoofer is too sensitive?). Simpler than most of the other tracks, probably due to being made in a hurry, but it stil works - like a hammer drill.

IO_madness: Wonderful 303 sound here. I like the patient minimalistic approach of the composition, but it could perhaps have benefited from stretching out into an even longer duration. The track reminded me of Plastikman’s “Consumed” album (which I remember as good).

Asserbik: I like the crunchy sound in the intro and the bass melodies throughout. The very active basslines fit the straightforward drum-programming very well! The end effects “swell” could be even more dramatic/dynamic (especially with more headroom in the mix).

theusername24: Some nice out of tune synth work here. The Asian style pentatonic stuff at the end feels nice and homey. If you finish it later on, I’d love to hear a full version!

The range of expressions/styles in this battle is truly impressive!

I vote for bfk’s track.

BB99 - Limp Bizkit Fever

The entries:

Armrest

aSSerbik (formerly known as InDefianceOfGravity)

bfk

IO_Madness

MFXxx

mnkvolcno

theusername24

Tsachi

TvMcC

Valk

Vulpes

11 entries! I’m blown away.
Will take me a day or so to listen to them all and decide propers

@Armrest agree on the mixdown, i kind of like it that way but it’s honest truth, it’s not a good mix unless on headphones - or you’re a bass addict. Yeah I can’t decide if I’m hopeless, or an unstoppable force of happiness
so the ‘mood is happy or not’ cuts deeper than it should have, appreciate the comment

fucken yeetus this battle turned out really nice, big proud great job everyone!
Even you, lurker, for bumping the thread with clicks

Armrest - Armrest Acid:
Interesting light, fluffy, drifting acid, and kinda random.

aSSerbik - Breaking Lucy:
I like the low bass synth at the beginning, once the acid starts kicking in >:) Lots of cool acid goodness. Reminds me of some old school trance… man… I really miss trance, honestly… lol. Cool track, could definitely get into this at a rave. Cool stuff!

bfk - Fakex Twin:
I like the cool, glitchy/granular bass. With the pad it creates a nice, cool, calming mind journey. Calm exterior with a precision, methodical core.

MFXxx - Mushroom Man:
I’ve always liked my mushrooms. What did you use for the 303 sounds out of curiousity? Some cool stuff. A nice driving acid track.

mnkvolcno:
Like that acid line, strange and funky! Goes really well with the breaks too! Perfect combo. Bad ass!

theusername24:
I like the acid mixed with the calmer set, reminds of Cock/Ver10. Would like to hear it finished!

Tsachi - 3 Hr Acid Break:
This track is really fun, is all I gotta say. Bouncy and rubbery acid fun. Makes me want to jump up and get down!

TvMcC - Pluot:
Liking the distorted synth. I once did a concept album with inspiration from Holst’s, “The Planets”, in which I made an album with a song for every planet in the solar system (this was before Pluto was demoted, so Pluto was definitely on there… admittedly, I probably would’ve put it on anyway cuz PLUTO WILL ALWAYS BE A PLANET IN MY HEART). I also did a track for Planet X, which actually is kinda how the whole project started… anywho.
I’m liking the kinda soundtracky take to this, very visual kinda sounds, I like the weird effects and noises, also the big bass with the drum line. Nice track! Like the more visual take on it.

Valk - Unstoppable:
Like the synths you used in place of a 303. Good acid track considering you didn’t have a 303 sound. kinda dirty and grimy, garage style. nice!

Vulpes - Horned Oryx of Wicca:
Love the chanting. Love the constant build of the track, and the trance style builds and break downs. Really like the energy of the track. Dig it!

I think my vote for this battle is going to @aSSerbik. Cool trance acid vibes, totally could totally feel that track at a club or rave.

Runners up: @Vulpes, @mnkvolcno, and @Tsachi. All also great tracks, loved them all!

Thanks! I admit I did want to take the track further, but I was kinda running up against the deadline. I actually stayed up until 4 in the morning getting it finished lol when I had to leave for a trip at 10! I knew i wouldn’t have a chance to work on it once I left, so I wanted to make sure to get something in! I do want to extend it out further with more percussion and everything. I may come back to it.

I vote for Vulpes

bfk, theusername24

Armrest - I like the novel minimalist approach and very beat battle styli - that vocal sample the voive sounds so familar lol.

aSSerbik - INteresting acid lines, works so well.

BFK - THe most out there production. Sounds complex on the drum patterns. Not too sure personally on the acid vibe, buit I do get it some what. Loving the pad line.

IO Madness - Nice simple acid line and loop progression. Acid lounge.

MFXxx - I really wish I had my home rig when i dont this, so much went wrong that got lost in translation on the earbuds!
@IO_Madness I USED Roland Clouds 303, only thing I could reach for whilst travelling, got their 30 day demo on a dummy email account.

mnkvolcno - a nice perverted acid slab of headanistic beats. Really works well as the track progresses, with some nice break work. Nice to see some song structure/ Well done.

theusername24 - nice production work. Mental lines and chords, certinaly BOC meet at Aphex whilst tripping on lsd filled sponges and the ravers come out undersea. This isa real grower track. Wished it was finished.

Tsachi - Nice clean beats. Mad little acid lines. Great build are The Chems in the building? Solid work my friend. Great production work. Cowbell love you x

TvMcC - Wasnt too sure which way this was heading. Had some D&B vibeness at the start, some hints of Bomb the Bass, beat dis. Nice low down break and bass build. This is a really well thought out production, good good work.

Valk - A nice build into a 4 by 4 break. Feel this is unfinished and could have bveen executed better. I like it. More cowbell x

Vulpes - Chilly start. Psy were Goa’ing! Really nice acid line. Lovely. This really feels out of sorts for beat battle and should be better suited as an album sub.

Theres a lot of IDMF spirit kicking around in these subs. Not sure why I subbed, but hell the competition is great.

@Admins - we are acid - we need an acid album released. I know there some mad mofo’s out, with some insane setups ready to bleep, blip and tweak their tits off! :slight_smile:

For me its close between Vulpes, Tsachi, mnkvolcno and theusername24 so much potential cut off in its prime.

Voting Tsachi. All round for me it meets the beat battle legacy and production. All very close imho.

gotta pick one.

Has everyone voted?

Lol that would be at me, Jayson, Creepr, and/or Nostromer. We are your netlabel team now.

That said, an acid album would be a kick-ass idea as we do want to open the label up to more genres and we’re fresh off a house release. We have a few albums in the oven right now with BB100 and then we have another individual artist release (or a few, not exactly sure on timing) before we can do anything else. And we have at least 2 cool ideas sitting on the back burner right now. We probably don’t have time to even open a submissions thread until mid-late September, and idk if this can go through this year, but we will absolutely keep an eye on the schedule and see when we can squeeze this in.

Ah cheers JP I had no idea of how the land lied, as you know and likely recall my email Aug 2018. Im hectic this side of the keyboard :slight_smile:

No worries, I recall. Things have gotten more hectic here lately as well!

That would be sick, an acid release? Definitely would submit.

The bass was two basses one was treated with high pass filter with some distortion and vocodex with the bandwidth being automated eq,ed, combined the dry signal of the low end with the wet signal of the mid to freq, to a single buss and automated high pass filter
the other bass was a bass patch with just diif oscillators being run through different filters band pass and bandstop automating the volume of the the diff oscillators ran through and automated it with another high pass.

Both basses where sent to a buss where they were sidechained to the kick the volume input for both basses were automated, eqed it and once again ran it through a high pass filter

Both basses were made with sytrus via sampling the waveform of a sample and weird tunings no granular synthesis for the bass elements, just automating and micro edits of automation of various parameters

The pads on the other hand the first pad was made using adsr of a band pass filter and power chords and delay blur with toxic biohazard…and for the second pad granular synthesis timestrech tuning eqing and reverb

The acid line is split into two layers the stabby low end and the resonant automated mid range

@Vulpes gets my vote

Not the most complex or technical, SO HARD TO CHOOSE

just by gut, it’s a track I can imagine at an acid rave where I’m from, it’s simple enough to not cause a bad trip, but has enough flavour to help you see the 7th dimension

that
OOOoooooOOOOOÖoooOOOOoooŌoooo-ahhhh
really does it for me

absolutely fucken fantastic musicians in this thread
Acid release yes please