Windows 11

Wondering if anybody here has taken the plunge and installed it yet?

If so, is it running smoothly with your VSTs?

Anything standing out? (good or bad)

I typically wait about one year before updating to the latest version, in order to circumvent potential issues with VSTs, so I’m not in a rush. Just curious, really.

I haven’t been brave enough lol. Also, my laptop is pretty old so I’m kind of worried about that factor just generally speaking.

Yup, it may not be able to run it - it requires at least the following:

• Processor: 1GHz or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC)
  • RAM: at least 4GB
  • Storage: at least 64GB of available storage
  • Security: TPM version 2.0, UEFI firmware, Secure Boot capable
  • Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver
  • Display: High definition (720p) display, 9" or greater monitor, 8-bits per color channel

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-11-faq-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

With all due respect, I chuckled here. Trusting Apple… The company that bricks its own products so you buy a newer version

That’s good to know. I meet all the requirements unless it won’t accept an integrated graphics card. I don’t know about the security stuff but no Window’s 10 update as crippled or harmed its performance.

The TPM thing can be worked around by renaming a DLL and editing one of the config files before installing it. There’s videos on YouTube e.g.:

Friend of mine is using windows 11. He says that Windows 11 is normal. Well, he always sits on the latest updates.

No worries, whatever works for you - I’m not here to fight about which one is less terrible than the other either.

Both of these global corporations are driven by endless greed… This usually makes ethics and not screwing their customers an afterthought.

That’s not surprising. The “required specs” are probably yet another gimmick to make Joe Public buy a new laptop every other year.

Good to know. From my experience, Windows 10 was quite the improvement on Windows 7 (in terms of reliability/stability). Way fewer crashes and issues. So I figured that we would have heard random people bitching about Windows 11 by now if it was bad… but it’s been fairly quiet on that front.

Been running Win11 for a few weeks now. I installed using the workaround I posted above. Not had any OS-related problems so far (that I’m aware of :smiley: ).

Good to hear! My main concern is mostly older VST that are not supported anymore by the company that made them: will they still work?

For example, I use some old Cakewalk synths that I love and I would hate for them not to work with a newer version of Windows (although it’s probably going to happen one day).

AFAIK as long as your DAW supports the VST format you want (ie 32 vs 64 bit, VST 1-2-3, etc) windows isn’t an issue. The issue is at some point you aren’t going to have new DAWs/updates support anything other than 64-bit VST3.

If it goes deeper than that (ie a plugin relies on some sort of library that was in old windows but not newer versions) then I haven’t encountered it. I don’t really want to use anything more than 10-15 years old, which goes back to Win7 times, which still seems to be the benchmark for “modern” windows.

On Win11 I’ll update when I next get a new PC, but I’m not eager to jump into it. Probably going to buy a new laptop for music when the new Intel/AMD laptop chips come out in a few weeks/months, so I think that will come with Win11.

Yay for:

reg add “HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32” /f /ve

It gets rid of the cutdown right-click menu and gives you the full menu immediately. Run the above in a command prompt the restart Windows Explore (or logout/in again or reboot). No need for elevated priveleges.

I was an early adoptor, I installed the Windows 11 beta about a year ago and dealt with my ASIO crashing, sluggish performance in Omnisphere, some VSTs flat out deregistering themselves every time I closed them and one particularly annoying BSOD when I would try to open the latest ReFX Nexus so I had to use an older version for a while. But none of those issues are currently present, FL Studio runs better than it ever had and I haven’t even needed to turn off my computer in over a week.

So now Windows 11 seems fine, but I learned my lesson about beta operating systems. My only consolation is that maybe Microsoft got some useful data from my crash reports.

Jeez… That must have been painful. Glad to hear it works fine now!

I’m still on W10

I actually forgot Windows 11 even came out until seeing this thread just now.

It’s weird that over a year later, shit’s still pretty janky for making music.

I’ve had VST windows do completely retarded stuff that never seems to happen on 10, almost like the scroll wheel doesn’t lock to certain windows if you’re in various sub-menus, etc. Also it seems like some plugins’ UI just disappears completely until the devs patch it out (I’m still not even sure if you can run Mixbox on W11, but they’ve probably fixed it by now).

The best part for me was the android subsystem, but even that was just a novelty. It was kind of hilarious to run apps that way, but anything that you paid $$$ for had to either be pirated or just not used since it wouldn’t talk to gewgle and all of the Google Play alternatives were shit.

I don’t know, I’m perfectly cool with hanging onto 10 until I inevitably have to upgrade. Things still work the best this way for some reason

So I totally forgot to update this thread after I upgraded my laptop for music. I’ve been using windows 11 since May of 2022, about a year now. In that time I can recall 3 real issues I’ve had with my software, and I can’t really nail any of them to windows 11.

1. The Korg M1 VST that I paid for a liscense for, and was liscensed on my old system, I cannot activate on my new system. I keep all my liscense files stored away or in a text document backed up, so if I ever lost my system for some reason I could get up and running again pretty quickly. In this case I got everything installed and liscensed in about half a day, except for this one. I click the activate button when the splashscreen comes up when I open the plugin and it just runs the plugin in demo mode. Lame, because this is in several projects of mine and it always loads with the same preset (so I have to change it to the preset I want every time and keep that preset in my project notes) and I can only work for 20 minutes before I lose sound and have to re-launch the project. I think it won’t activate because Korg have launched a V2 of this plugin, but I’m not inclined to give them more money to see if that fixes the problem.

2. Shortly after getting the new laptop last year, I demoed Pulsar Massive. The UI was glitchy, but the plugin had just released. So I reached out to Pulsar audio to see if it was an issue with the plugin. They told me to set my DAW to render video using the GPU and not my laptop’s CPU graphics. That fixed the problem and lowered my CPU usage. Bummed that isn’t the default behavior as I always work on music with my laptop plugged in and on high performance power mode, but live and learn I suppose. Problem solved, though I didn’t end up buying Massive as I tested it against Ozone vintage EQ (which I already own) and I liked Ozone more.

3. When mastering, my go-to limiter of first call is Newfangled Elevate. It’s a 26-band limiter, transient shaper, and broadband clipper. The second I activate this, I get crackles and stutters in the audio if I have other plugins running as well. The problem is the same as on my old laptop, which I upgraded from because it was 5 years old at the time and I thought a 5 year newer computer that’s about 2.5x as fast - I checked benchmarks before buying - would hopefully solve the problem. Nope. And this isn’t the only plugin that acts like this, I also use Kazrog K-clip 3, a multiband clipper, when mastering and that one can also bring my system to it’s knees. I’ve had to resort to rendering what I call “mid-master” files of everything my CPU can do in one pass, and then finish the work from there. This may be a software issue as I run all my audio out through Acustica Sienna, a headphone correction software/room-sim, and that replaces my audio drivers at a system level. Even with 180ms of latency, it still struggles with performance when I get above about 70-80% CPU usage, but only in these mastering situations - I’ve never had an issue with a mix/production project, and I use heavy plugins there too (Diva, Ozone Modules, Kirchoff EQ in 117 bit mode with 2X oversampling, Kelvin). But it was the same on the old system, it’s not new to windows 11. It’s nice that my mixes can be bigger now, but I was hoping for a smoother mastering process too. I guess Sienna just adds to much overhead outside my DAW for those real monster plugins.

I have Korg M1 and don’t have any issues on Windows 11…?

Don’t think I have the newest version of that synth either, because I got it years ago. I would have to check it out.