Unfinished Project Names

So, I am notoriously terrible at organizing my work (or at least I have been traditionally for most of my producing days). In the past when I start a new project, I always name it something stupid, ridiculous, or crazy because I have no idea how to name incomplete or rubbish tracks.

I thought it would be amusing to post some of my old project names. I know I can’t possibly be the only one that does this, so I think we should get a thread dedicated to everyone’s strange project names. :slight_smile:

Here are some of mine…

A Big Stupid Garbage Truck
Binge Head
Brandon’s Uncle Crimpy
Brent
Brent’s Tent
Clunk Monkeys Go To Work
Commander, We Have Forensics
Dolly Frugal Kelp
Drop Forged Steel 8"
Feed Sammy The Grease
Flat Baron Steak
From Crops to Scotch
fucking crabs FUCK!
Guy’s french freezer
Guys is stealing fakery bakery
Harmit Scandal in Taiwan
HOWS THIS GRANDMA!?!?!?!?!
I have like 57 teeth this morning
I’m not so sure about this fence
It’s a great day for calcium
Living in spinetown for the week
Mace the President (hmm… this one was done in 2011)
Mystery meat is the shit
No one is apple
No one is apple again and again
One guitar shitty p diddy plan dan
Relinquish the frostbite
Return my craisins immediately
Reverse potential diving machine
Rumple Crumps
Scandal at the barbershop
Simple fpandis brands
Smimple
Some fucking grieving hats
Some new hats to gargle
Spundles forsooth
Things that angela faked as garnish
time time time time Fuck
trouble with gumbo

I’m usually something like: « BS idea in Amin »
Or « chords in Emin » or something really dry .

Mine are like “house Am 128bpm” lol.

Look at you guys… being all reasonable and efficient. Makes me sick…

Not so bad. I call my tracks 123, aaaaa, qoqoq and so on.

Project Names can be more specific like drop 1, drop 2, compressor experiments, or the name of trak i stealing (copying).

Trust me the uncreative names are their own can of worms with a six month old file an d remembering what the hell it is.lol

Something…like…Breakcore bass shit

Pro tip: at least name things like cool bass or cool sound 11. Now, this is like opening a mystery bag. Bad execution.

I typically use a header based on what I am working with.

Ie. Nameless_Bb_265_Am7-11 would be something like nameless (ie working title),
Bb (breakbeat, changes based on project),
265 is the tempo
Am7-11 is the key, and chord types.

This was the method we used in post production studios, at Tesla, and typically most studios.

For sound design and exercises… separate folders titled stuff like

Big Farts
The Crackheads Late Night Street Recordings
Beats, bops, and voxs
Master Splinter and the wingnutz
These are not bass
Yeah I got noise, so what?!!
Did you say, you need a drone
Don’t touch my purse

Seeing that has made me realize my organization doesn’t seem so hot either ahaha,

CaptureProjectNames

I try to save the stuff I’m interested in continuing in the not very good stuff folder. the random date file is normally how I name them appending a number for each “meaningful” change I make for it. I used to name them keyboard smash type names a long time ago, but then it just felt like I had severe dyslexia when I would look through the folders lol.

In all fairness, the ‘mystery bag’ trick is fun until you’re searching for completed tracks and they’re all lost

Interesting subject… I use goofy names when it’s experimental, or a random jam or field recording. But even the goofy names will have some reference to what is in the recording or the event, so that I have some inkling of what is in there a year or two later.

Some Examples:
Kalimba Flute
Kalimba Jangle WIP 06
Blues Synth SK01
Dark Synth
Bar Background
Wockano Background
Good at 160 and 260
A Bit O Slide
Midnight Jam
Any Door to Oscar

These are mostly working titles. I use a lot of SK 01 (for sketches) or WIP 01 as the piece is progressing. Over time, if a piece starts to gel, I’ll come up with a release title. Sometimes some or all of the goofy working title will stick.

Periodically I delete stuff I’m not excited about so that I never waste more time listening to it.

The Delete Button will set you free! :sunglasses:

Thanks. Got lyrics for my next song right there :rofl:

I never thought of being so practical with titles. I may have to start doing this.

It can get confusing though as well. If something is more than month old I have to launch my DAW and listen to know what it is : ) I’ve always hated coming up with titles and that is something I have to let develop along the way.