The Vinyl Record Pressing and Turntable Industry

We were having a couple of pretty good conversations about turntables and vinyl before the old forums went down, so I was thinking we could pick that up here. I remember posting something about Shure and AT getting out of the cartridge game because there probably weren’t new machines to do it and expressed concern about the age of existing presses. Turns out there’s at least two companies doing new ones and both run under half a million. One of them has even moved away from steam heating to make permits and infrastructure cheaper, and they’re working on a sub $200k indie/small run press too.

Oh awesome idea bringing this thread back. I’ll have to give that article a read. Balls deep in grading some film analysis essays right now…

I probably won’t ever be a scratch artist, but had a blast blending in some of The War of the Worlds on vinyl into a dub techno set. I was using Elastic FX on my iPad in the chain after the turntable–turns it into a little bit of an instrument. So manipulating the vinyl by hand and playing FXs live on the iPad (along with the regular mix duties on the XDJ 700s).

The more industry presence in the Vinyl game the better… I’m hoping printing prices will get down… I keep getting priced out whenever I come to the point of having something I want to release.

Most presses are still running at capacity. A new house starting in Chicago is only taking Chicago acts because they’re at capacity for the next 6 months already, and they’re only doing test presses. They actually open at the start of 2019. It sounds like a good game to get into tbh (less the capital I lack). Between artists here and local acts, maybe some overflow from other presses, I think I could keep a press running 24/7. My goal would be not to book more than a week in advance so that I could specialize in adding capacity when other houses need it (at extortion-type prices, of course).

Actually, that wouldn’t work. There’s only one master plate per release. Even if I could make copies quick and cheap, it gets really complex really quick, and the people at capacity have down time while I make my copies.

Halloween SFX stays in season all year long for those moments shit hits the fan and an improv session takes off.

I looked into doing a vinyl run for IDMf050 but it just wasn’t feasible for us at the time. Anything that reduces the cost for small NetLabels to do limited-run releases would be welcome.

I’m gonna be that guy that shitposts and cross-references my old dead thread about cassette printing… for… ahem… future IDMf releases ahem

You can get the cost down to like $1.50 +/- per tape with small runs.

edit keep forgetting the quotes system, but I’m replying to Roo here

I’m surprised cassettes aren’t more expensive tbh. Are they still being made en masse or are there just warehouses full of NOS?