The Movie Thread

Doctor Sleep was fuckin’ rad. I’ve only seen the theatrical cut, but I was pretty pleased. It wasn’t perfect, but it surpassed my expectations.

It also had some of the most brutal violence ever.

8/10

Dumb and dumber the original…still good.

Terminator Dark Fate.

This was worth staying out of the cinema for.

Spenser confidential. omg as a new englander the love interest in this has a heavy new england accent and is hilarious to me because that is exactly how most newengland born women talk.i find it hilarious because my
accent used to be worse.i consciously changed that years ago after hearing myself on tape.
i still have it just not so downeast. anyway good flick ex cop blah blah pretty good.

“None of that TV shit.” Hahahahahaha. Yes.

I find this ‘doesn’t hold up’ concept bizarre. For me, the question(s): do I want to watch this?..do I want to get in, live in, that space?..can I?

Last night, yes. Much so: The Wraith (1986).

I have this in my store of things, but lately have watched a bunch of things on Tubi TV - mainly Transformers (gen1 /…), GI Joe ('83-86, though I have that…'89 set in my cue…), The Greatest American Hero…oh, shit, sorry, that’s all TV… Ahem. And a fuckload of 80s and 70s horror and scifi movies - many of which I may likely not watch or get to…because…

I watch something when I feel I Want to. Else I’ll bail on it. So - I see The Wraith on Tubi, put it in there…and sit on it…for months. Last night I felt I wanted to watch it - and I had a great time. The theme(s), the scenes, the dialogue, the cinematography and scenery, the B+ jokes and bizarre behaviors, the music…

I love a lot of incidental music, a bit of it 80s synth. (I disliked the sampled stuff back then.) The Wraith’s music does what it needs in a conventional and non-pretentious way. Also surprised me how much music they…licensed? Ozzie must have cost a decent bit. Perhaps they had some aces…

I think The Wraith a good movie. Not a Good movie. Just checks all the boxes, does what it aims, and…that shit’s got some kick!

Skank me if you dislike… ~(8/|)

Finally got around to watching The Revenant over the weekend. Two-and-a-half-hours of Leo crawling towards his Oscar. Honestly, how much of the film was he actually standing up? :smiley:

Its pretty decent. Lovely bleak cinematography.

leo is so overcast…i mean seriously…personally i think keanu reeves should of been the lead in inception…

Keanu Reeves gonna face the music this year but William Sadler is back as Death so fuckit, I’m in.

No Rufus though :frowning:

his character in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was so funny after that

Funny you mention Inception… I had in mind the writing up of a recent viewing… It happened to come back round in my cue or something…and I waited a few weeks, and then watched it. It reminded me of some things, in particular about leading someone past their frame of capacity…

In any case, I enjoyed it enough, though jesus that technology has so many applications…it would exist EveryWhere.

As for Keanu…such a cute lad, with skill and brains…but no direction. His pretty face and aloofness seem to seduce people…

[[ S T A Y T U N ED : Ex Machina - coming next! ]]

Skill is debateable. It’s only a suggestion cause starring in both the matrix and inception would be a double mindfuck for fanboys

There’s a really dope film @GomesR recommended to me on Netflix called “The Platform”.

Spanish movie with super heavy “Cube” vibes.

9/10 on the scifi level

Some do, though I can tell a bit by the folds of skin on her neck.

The Lovecraft story, From Beyond looks more interesting, as the 1986 movie appears to fall back on the monster/slasher model.

I notice Coombs leads in Doctor Mordrid, which curiously I have sitting in my Tubi cue. (I think it companions 1990’s Darkman, though at first look and read of summary it seems a variation of Doctor Strange.)

And given I looked, something for my appetite:

Since movie studios are doing that “VOD” while in theaters thing now…

…I caved and rented “The Invisible Man” - after learning that Leigh Wannel directed it, who was the other main character from Saw. (Who oddly enough is rebooting Escape from New York).

I’d give it a solid 8/10. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a good horror flick, not too campy, with some good plot and an original take on the idea.

I had low expectations.

Disney+ sure is shit at remembering where you left off from last time you watched a film.

Sounds like an issue with device recognition. I’ve had strange resets of things lately, sometimes on first boot.

Speaking of spooooky shit, I just marathoned The Blackwell Ghost 1-4. Highly recommended for those who like super low-budget ‘found footage’ thrills that break the fourth wall all the time.

Spenser Confidential.

Pretty bad but good fun at the same time. Feels more like a pilot for a TV series than a stand-alone film based on the original TV series.

Shot caller…a prison movie with Jamie lannister…that was a messed up movie…surprisingly good…

10/10