The Hardware Megathread

that looks appealing…

those look to be pretty inexpensive, thanks for the heads up! And MIDI control >_> and the lofi processor has more options.

Aaaand I just finished reading about Strymon’s Volante… yeah, it’s $400 but there’s so much to tweak on how it performs as a “tape” delay :heart_eyes: it seems really great for sound design :thinking:

Anyone have some recommendations for conductive knobs? I want to replace the capacitive/touch-sensitive knobs on my MPC but it’s shockingly difficult to find an answer. Anodized aluminum might, or might not work, depending on the process used, and the only place that seems to sell any specific ones at all is mpcstuff and those are 1)$8 each lol, and 2)also pretty boring and plain in design, and not in a color I want. I tried searching at mpc-forums and came up empty, there, too, but didn’t want to make a whole thread for it (for some reason)

I just tested a knob from one of my basses and the MPC recognizes it at being touched <3 I might be worrying about nothing since the stock knobs are plastic or they seem like it (the bass knob is metal). I have some shopping to do :smiley:

Idk, never heard of touch sensitive knobs. I think you can press them, like there’s a button underneath, but I think that’d be in the pot itself, under the shaft, so I don’t see why the knob would matter (beyond the ability to fit on the shaft and your color, shape, and size preferences of course).

Conductive knobs are just plastic with a band or ring of conductive material (some sort of graphite compound, I imagine) that allows your body to complete a circuit and the PCB and/or code to detect it. As long as the conductive part is touching whatever it needs to touch on the underside, it should work. You could probably run a wire to a metal disk or ring and wire it if push came to shove.

I’ve mostly seen the used on mixer faders to automatically unlock motors when touched, though it doesn’t seem to work very well in practice (gets confused when you do several at once). Beatstep Pro has them as well iirc.

If the mono station is anything to base how cool the circuit is…you might be missing out…

On the modern MPCs you get a visual indicator on the screen of what parameter is being manipulated buy a Q Link knob as soon as you touch it. And I’m pretty sure it’s a graphite thing since the stock knobs feel like plastic, and you can DIY conductive paint/glue with school glue and graphite powder.

Sorry, I meant the mono station.
I had a circuit and hated every minute, I’ve never been a preset person. The mono station seems much better but at the moment my music time is limited so I’d rather focus on the Mpc Live instead of adding more gear. Plus I had a period of unemployment, over now but I need to be an adult an try to rebuild my savings…

I added a few Korg volcas to my amazon Xmas list though…

Ah. Ok. Yea. The Monostation is awesome. Shame we live across an ocean Id let you borrow it! And I have to say some of the newer Volcas have my interest as sound modules sequenced by something else.

Hoping to pick up a Digitakt soon myself.

What kind of laptop would you guys recommend for music production? I’m currently using a 10 year old Sager notebook and I’m looking to upgrade. What do you guys use?

I’m using a Core i5 8th gen with 16 megs of ram. Usually if I max out a project I know I’m using too much processing. But I make a habit of printing instrument tracks to audio for mixing unless there is a lot of DAW automation on the parameters.

Could of made a thread

“Best PCs for music making”

Most of my musicing is done on my desktop, but I’ve got a run-of-the-mill Dell (2017 XPS 13) that I carry around when I need to. It works fine.

As relic pointed out, you probably want to go for as much cpu and ram as you can afford, as those will quickly be limiting factors on a laptop. Also consider connections for whatever interface you’re using (USB-C, Thunderbolt, etc).

Only other thing to worry about is warranty and build quality. I’ve used and deployed both HP and Dell business-class laptops without much problem. Lenovo used to be my go-to, but I feel like the quality has declined in recent years. I personally feel like the build quality of consumer laptops doesn’t tend to be worth the price point and I stay away from them.

Back everything up on an external harddrive because of planned obsolescence

Good points. Are audio chips ever a factor for you? Or would that just affect the laptop speaker quality and not necessarily the audio quality itself?

As Artificer said, basically as much CPU power as you can afford. I wouldn’t worry about onboard sound cards, get a good audio interface.

Nah, whatever Realtek crap they have in there is fine for day-to-day stuff. Just like I’m not going to drag my RME to bed with me to get amazing audio while watching Netflix, I’m not going to rely on integrated audio to produce my next banger. Horses for courses and all that.

The audio output converts digital to analog, so what you hear coming from the laptop jack is dictated by whatever chip is on-board. If you’re playing a show and run the line out of the laptop, that’s what people will hear. But it’s all digital until it leaves the computer, so if you take that same track and plug it in to an audio interface, that will be doing the conversion and determine what you hear. The quality of the digital track never changes while still on the computer. That’s completely determined by your DAW settings and samples and whatnot.

Push comes to shove, on-board audio will play back your stuff and you can work with it in a coffee shop or airport, but latency is going to be worse. Playback quality probably won’t be that different; DACs have come a long way and unless you’re used to running a pro-level studio with Antelope DACs and $2,500 speakers, I doubt you’ll notice a huge difference in playback, especially since being out and about suggests headphones. Mostly it’s about latency and inputs. If all you’re ever doing is clicking on a piano roll, a laptop by itself is probably fine.

If you’re looking for a truly mobile solution, I’d personally buy $50 less laptop and get one of those cheap little Behringer interfaces to throw in your bag- it’s not the greatest, but it’ll do.

Okay this clarifies a lot. So if I’m understanding correctly, if I’m using headphones, it won’t matter what audio chip my laptop has because the audio is being heard/processed through the headphones not the audio chip correct?