The Hardware Megathread

Those 1010 thingys didn’t really set my pulse racing, I imagined them sat on the shelf with the rest of the bad choices.

Not going to lie, the FL Studio “Chord Stamp” on the piano roll has spoiled me into ignorance!

Yea. I think the form factor is what is going to sell these more so than what they do. And as I’ve recently set my MS Word default zoom setting to 125% these ain’t gonna work for me lol

Very nice. I’ve only ever owned the Strymon El Capistan but it was easily the best sounding pedal I’ve personally owned. I want to get my hands on a Volante (all vintage analog delay modes).

Same. I can just never quite get myself to do it and I’m not sure why (other than $400 XD )

It is the $400 lol. I mostly finish my tracks in my DAW from multi track recordings so it is hard to justify that much money when I’ve got two delay VSTs I am very satisfied with. That being said, delay is my favorite FX…right now I only have three pedals and two are delays…

Reminded me I should check more of the Echelon delay algos my Neunaber pedal can do (it’s a Wet V2 Stereo, but part of the Expanse series so can load any of those into 4 preset slots).

The only pedals I have dedicated to delay are the TC Alter Ego that was special to some online guitar shop (and is a hideous ‘gold’ dark mustard yellow, and a Montreal Assembly Count To 5 that while neat, has kinda lost its charm.

If only Arturia would make the Delay ETERNITY into hardware :eyes: It’s my goto in DAWland, or Bitwig’s delay because it’s just so damned customizeable. 4 delay lines? 8? Not a problem! Want a bit-crusher in one feedback path, and a chorus in another? A reverb in another? Right this way! Bitwig is fun… It’s the lego Xzibit of DAWs lol…

I’m curious about IK’s X-Time but it’s also huge and also expensive. I can download a trial of the software version, though, at least, before plunking down monies. Speaking of, pretty sure they are increasing prices across the board on their hardware per an email they sent me to “buy now before X happens!”

I’m also curious about BIAS’ pedals because each one comes with the software version of it, that also lets you design your own pedals, so that has me very curious, despite never messing with that on TC’s Tone Print pedals.

Positive Grid does not make a reverb pedal or designer, which is disappointing.

I’ve lost days playing my Neutron through some Valhalla verbs (about as close as you can get to the Strymon stuff ITB). There’s something about the Neutron’s sound that lends itself to getting spread out and washy. Definitely recommend.

Ok, now I’m just jelly of Bitwig’s delay lol

All the places you can add stuff:

And apparently I have upset the forum gods XD

I love when the forum “AI” scolds me hahahaha. That looks really cool though.

As I was in the market for a wavetable hw synth and space is at premium on my desk for the foreseeable future, I ordered the Fireball.

I better respond to you, now, before HAL yells at me again.

But seriously, the Fireball is tempting, especially loading user wavetables. I don’t know the format, though. “Wavetables use 2048 samples per cycle and 256 cycles.” I don’t know what that means really. Do I need to manually make these things, or does another wavetable synth use this format? I think a video mentioned it, but I really don’t want to sit through another half hour video lol. I sat through 1010’s videos that are shorter. The Quickstart Guide doesn’t say, and there is no User Manual, yet.

As an aside, the 1010 person doing those videos needs to go to the doctor with those clubbed-af fingers…

Neither of their videos gave me the information I want.

But a random search for “Wavetables use 2048 samples per cycle and 256 cycles” did. Apparently Serum uses that and so some others do, too, as they can load Serum wavetables. Maybe that’s a standard… Well, that’s interesting, then :eyes:

Edit Regarding Microfreak: “First, Arturia put a lot of thought into the software. It allows you to import wavetables at 32 cycles x 2048 samples each – the same as on Arturia’s Pigments. It then converts them in Midi Control Center so that you get 256 samples per cycle.”

No idea how to make my own wavetables, and I wouldn’t want to or I would have stuck with the Hydrasynth (you can make custom wavetables by selecting up to 8 of the included single cycles), but if I’ll run short, I’ll just go here
https://www.kimurataro.com/free-wavetables.html

There’s lots and in the right format already.

Kind of want a micro freak, they look a lot of fun

Why is it you buy gear, and then immediately want to buy more gear?

I have Vital, which turns out has an editor and can export them at 2048 samples as well. It’ll import wavs, etc. Not that I have a huge intention to do this, as most things I do in such things sound absolutely horrible lol…

PMW Malevolent, interesting.

Look at my comment at the top of the YouTube comments, Bobeats has always winged this review lark lol

It’s the good feel factor.

Shiny lights make crow brain go brrrrrrrrr

That and the dopamine hit you get when you buy something. I bought a bunch of furniture this weekend to make more room for synths down the line. It might be the jacket I’m wearing, but I still feel warm and fuzzy.

I think that means you can load a wav file a grand total of 524,288 samples and the synth is going to cut that up evenly into waves on a table. Ideally get yourself a 0-crossing every 2048 of those samples to avoid clicking. You can just drag audio into audacity and spit it out with some basic sample rate conversion if you want. You can make your own waves for the Super6 digital waves in Audacity, with a few extra steps (have to export the audio headerless in a specific sample rate/bit depth with a specific number of samples and you have to manually rename the audio file to be .s6). That’s proprietary as hell and you can still make custom waves with free software.