The Hardware Megathread

well, I have its rack module equivalent already… and there’s a few more out there lol

I always wanted one of the Emu Command Stations, never had the pleasure

I kinda wanted the PL-7 with the Protean Drums ROM, apparently it’s a bit on the rarer side. My 2000 has a XL-7 (Xtreme Lead Command Station) ROM I picked up for $50 somewhere along the way because the XL-1 was $200 XD

Noticing after I spend money on a used Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen that once I have everything audio set to the same sample rate (any audio software matching MOTU PCI control center) I have had no problems. Naturally… (started doing it again…)

I never had issues like that with my Babyface, though. It always changed based on the DAW and I never got weird audio issues like lower/slower pitch, crackles/distortions just watching YouTube, etc. Dem RME drivers tho…

It was the cheapest 3rd gen 18i20 on eBay or Reverb and sold by Sam Ash at that, so we’ll see, and I shouldn’t be out money selling it. It does have things the 2408 doesn’t, like instrument inputs on the front and mic pres. I don’t think I can ADAT the 2408 into it, but I might be able to ADAT it into the 2408? I’m not sure, these PCI interfaces seem really inclined to not play well with others >_> time for more RTFM or just get rid of it finally. It’s entirely possible my next motherboard won’t even have PCI and PCIe is always tricky as they’re next to the video cards…

When looking to figure out some things on my Axoloti Core boards, I found where someone made an Über Axoloti for $90:

https://zrna.org/akso/shop

kinda curious about these, considering someone made a mini Buchla Easel type thing with a normal Axoloti (and time, lots of time) edit seems like the Axoloti the Akso boards are also hard to come by but maybe that’s the chip shortage? Who knows…

I have no clue what you’re talking about, too technical for my brain this morning but I got a purple knob, no pun intended, literally a knob with a purple halo. Shit the more I write the more awkward it gets. We need to stop talking about purple on a hardware thread.

it follows you… like that person you don’t like that thinks you’re BFFs XD

A RD-6-GP actually showed up on my doorstep, btw… they were serious, said it was early Christmas/late birthday, all the times I watched their house last summer, etc. Fine… It’s… okay? Kind of boring as drum machines go, but at the same time there’s a loveliness in its simplicity. Unsurprising to anyone here, it just has several bread and butter/good drum sounds, and they added a nice clap; otherwise it’s just a TR-606 clone with a BR-110 clap.

I don’t really need/want another drum machine, but at least my TD-3-GP has a dance partner in matching clothes, now.

Yea, the funny thing is the RD-6 is faithful to the original…that’s all it was. Really the RD-8 is pretty much the same (they’ve added some modern stuff) but sound wise there is not a ton of editing. The sounds are the sounds. But the 606 was a huge part of dance music history none-the-less.

Am I the only one who loved Propellerhead’s Rebirth then moved on and realized he couldn’t really bother with 303, 808 and 909 sounds?

That is all too essential to so much of the music I love to abandon it completely. But I understand if people are tired of it, 100%

I never messed with Rebirth, but tend to use drum machines outside the 808/909 myself. I’d only pick a 808 or 909 over a DrumBrute Impact just to sell them and pocket the difference lol…

edit at this point I barely even think of drum machines as essential; it’s easy to synthesize and sample drum sounds, or resample them from existing samples. Likely selling off my Volcas and 522.

That is the first thing I do with a new synth, try to synthesise drum sounds, usually that gives me a good indicator of how the envelopes are.

This was a letdown initially on the Hydrasynth as the range of the envelopes seems to be quite smaller than I expected.
Until somebody on the FB group showed me that you can stack envelopes, so for example the pitch envelope range might not be much, let’s say 1 octave only, but then you stack the same envelope 3 times and all of a sudden your kick has a 3 octaves span, more than good enough for a huge initial thump.

and with 32 modulation destinations I don’t worry about needing 3 slots…

For me most drum machines have a “that something” that makes them unique. They all tend to have a slightly different swing for example. I like have dedicated boxes just for drums (I know you can do this with a sampler as well and I certainly include those in my thoughts here). Also from a “hardware only” perspective having dedicated drum machines makes sense to me, that way I don’t have synth sounds, vox etc coming from the same box as the drums. Makes mixing easier.

Granted, you need to have more boxes to get more variety. With one good sampler you can have all the sounds you want and get all the features you need.

But I am total drum machine whore and I’ll gladly own as many as budget allows even if some of them are boxed up at times.

I love when companies are willing to go out on a limb and create a dedicated drum machine with real drum voices (Arturia, Elektron, Korg has one coming). I don’t care if they are analog, digital, FM etc.

The Arturia DrumBrute Compact (or is it impact?) seems interesting but in general I’m not much of a dedicated drum synth guy. I hardly use the drumsynth on the Force even though it sounds really good. More about sampling, layering

This is not hardware but it’s on topic on I can’t understate the impact of this software on getting me started:

I defo had this installed on a PC at one point before I really got into making music at all. I just kind of fooled around with it but it might have been the first thing I tried to use besides an early cracked version of Cubase.

thought this might interest some

wow, can’t even remember the last time I even thought about the Fizmo. I could never sell those boards.

I must admit that despite how much I like the Hydrasynth, I’m starting to have buyer’s regret.
The synth itself is amazingly built and is pretty much unlimited in it’s possibilities, but because of that it takes time to make it sounds good, and frankly I’m not sure I have the time to invest on it, so maybe I would have been better off with something simpler.
As a contrast, my Microfreak is much more limited, but every time I turn it on, I come up with a few usable patches, which I know they’ll end up sampled with little tweaking.

Maybe I would have been better off with a Neutron or another desktop analog mono (Minibrute 2S played from the MF cv out?)

I’m still learning the HS, giving it at least one hour a day, watching tutorials and playing it by itself only, so I’m not deciding yet, but it’s odd how it makes me yearn for the Microfreak.

Presets sound amazing though, so I know it’s a user issue, maybe I’m not as good as I thought at programming synths and I bit more than I can chew…