The Hardware Megathread

Ive been grateful for occasional data loss over the years.

I will post up when it gets here and I have it hooked up. I currently have a Saffire Pro 14 but the firewire is just not working anymore with windows (known issue since the last update of W10) and whereas I might be able to fix it with a different FW card (with a TI chip instead of VIA, in case anyone else is struggling with this) I figured screw it, I want something new. The reviews do indeed sound really good, and with a lot of favorable comparisons to the pres and DA converters in the Focusrite line (AFAIK the Saffire and Scarletts use the same bits) it should be a good step up.

why from the 80’s or 90’s?

Boss SE70. A little 1/2 rack box with just about every Boss pedal under the hood and then some. A love mine and use it on just about everything. Can de a little noisy at times, but has mojo. The Rhodes Piano multi is gorgeous. The menu is clean and easy to get to grips with.

Digitech Studio Quad.

If the Ensoniq DP4 is the poor mans Eventide H3000, than the Studio Quad is the poorer mans DP4.

I don’t think it’s from the 80’s or 90’s but I have a Lexicon MX300 and it’s pretty cool.

I know like the quadraverb and midiverbs in particular have some FX programs that just sound like bad digital in a good way.

I also had a Lexicon MX?00 something. Solid multifx rack unit.

I picked up a Blokas MidiHub a couple of weeks ago, and at first I thought I might flip it right away, but after spending some time I’m really liking what it can go.

I’m getting some crazy results using a Machinedrum with local control off, filtering the data through the MidiHub, and sending it back to itself. It also makes getting Midi out of Pure Data really easy and actually somewhat musical, at least for what I’m doing.

It doesn’t do quite as much as I’d hoped in some respects in terms of being able to not have a PC on, but what it does do, it does very well.

That looks fancy. :slight_smile: I just grabbed a midi thru box myself for simple port multiplication, and can really recommend this one based on cost and build quality. Since it ships via Russian Post it took a few weeks to get to me in Germany, but if you are not in a hurry and need some more midi thru ports, I can recommend it:

MIDI patch bays et al are defo worth the investment if you need to link up more than handful of pieces.

I had a filthy Eurocrack habit that lasted about 7 years, I’ve been clean for a year or two now,
However I’m seeing modules like this and getting an itch

I will not get into modular until I have a mortgage.

On the other hand, I bought a mixer, finally!

You won’t be able to afford modular if you have a mortgage :joy:

Can confirm. Have mortgage. Getting into modular is as likely now as getting a Porsche… which is to say not very likely at all.

I don’t see why it’s not possible.

I have a Moog Mother 32 which is semi modular, which I got as a ways of “testing the waters” of modular gear. After really digging on that, a while back I purchased the Cre8audio bundle, in order to get started with a case and a couple modules (the only downside to purchasing the Moog was I still didn’t have a case). What attracted me to it was that it had basically all the basic stuff to get started in one package: they had a case, with a power supply and adaptors, the case had MIDI input and also MIDI-over-USB, so that I could hook it up to my computer, and a main output. All that, along with an oscillator and an interesting programmable step sequencer, had basically all I needed to get started.

I got it, and I was messing with it a little, but the MIDI-over-USB was a little buggy when using it with Reaper, there was something with it where it would freak out or not do stuff right, and I think notes would get stuck, or something. The DIN MIDI connector would work just fine, but there were certain situations with the MIDI-over-USB that it’d freak out. I think it was something to do with the start/stop messages Reaper would send.

I haven’t gotten any new modules for it yet, but I was looking at Pittsburgh Modular Percussion Sequencer as something to potentially add (I was pouring over modular gear on sweetwater trying to find the ideal mix of modules given the size of my case, finding the utilities I needed, then finding generators I’d really want…), but I wasn’t really messing with it a lot so I held off on any module purchasing.

I was getting some cool stuff out of it tho, with my Mother32 and TB-03. The bundle on it’s own is kinda limited as far as using it by itself, as far as sonic possibilities, but you do have enough to plug everything in and make a sequence. I still wanted to do more tho, but I’m making myself utilize it more as is before spending more no modules lol.

Welp, going to have to let my SO know I’m getting a Porsche then.

And to be fair, buying that car would still probably be cheaper than getting into modular.

Looking at this thing I still just want to buy it tho… I mean just look at it. It’s so sexy:

@IO_Madness I just came here to say that the Moog Mother 32 just sounds gorgeous. I don’t think I like the high end of any synth better than it. Smooth and glistening. I thought the whole “Moog just sounds better” thing was a myth…but at least the M32 has something special to its sound IMO.

I see a car as something that gets me from A to B and sits on my drive depreciating in value.

A Hardware Synth or Modular will keep serving me until the day i die :grin: