The books we are reading

… and about the future. Sci-fi has an amazing ability to both imagine and guide us into the future.

@bfk : I don’t recall reading that story. I liked Asimov (two fave shorts: The Last Question, and, The Billiard Ball, both in THE EDGE OF TOMORROW I picked up as teen in the late 80s, the cover you know, and I was neck deep in anime, having come from Transformers, Robotech, etc…), but quickly moved on to larger pastures in David Brin, Greg Bear (in particular BLOOD MUSIC, p1985 and The Singularity event to look forward to - I DO), Gregory Benford, Stephen Baxter, the majority of Peter F. Hamilton’s adult fiction (though his latest universe seems a step backward, and I closed the first book less than two-hundred pages in…), some others… Iain M. Banks wrote in long, tangential-seeming phrases. I recommend him to those with the odd interest and attention span, and appreciation for dark-ass Scottish humour.

~

@1roomstudio : SF. Sci-fi is Fantasy in space. Definitions, yo.

Hard Sci-fi is not fantasy in that it has the potential to predict the future… Sword, Sorcery and Magic is storytelling… often with a moral… but it can predict no more than the typical manifestations of human nature.

Me as a kid: “You call this exercise?”

Me as an adult: “Jesus, it works every single muscle”

@xSANTAxDURSTx : indeed my man, indeed.

~

@1roomstudio : Hard SF. Our words define our thoughts and feelings.

I went on a carnivore diet last year and ended up with appendicitis. Nothing could possibly go wrong this time around

Re-reading Dune.

Currently I am reading " As A Man Thinkieth"

So I’m a completely obsessed fangirl towards the Alien franchise (hence the name nostromer, from nostromo) and I have quite a sizeable library of literature regarding the production of the films.

This new book is HANDS.FUCKIN.DOWN. the best account and details regarding the making of the original Alien film. Absolute treasure, lots of never before seen sketches from both Giger and writings by O’Bannon.