The books we are reading

I have war and peace. I was only able to get up to a certain point like 150 pages in…

But also a lot of common folk didnt know how to read and write…it wasnt deliberate conspiracy it was just a matter of having access to resources…and having the resources to preserve such material…

Also a lot knowledge was lost due to war and the sacking of civilizations…or lost in translation…if it werent for the library of alexandria being discovered and other stuff…we would not have learned of socrates, plato, and other stuff…

I hadn’t thought of that, but you’re right, that probably played a big role until about 1600 or so (I’m going some years after the printing press was invented in 1440). I’m no literature major, but I wonder if anyone has tracked the evolution of character class variety in literature over time.

That’s a much more useful statistic to have than “what percentage of cats that have ever lived had a british monarch die within their lifetime?”. That one in quotes is a real one I wondered last week, but pretty useless to know so I haven’t looked into it.

I am looking forward to my order of the ‘Ura Linda’. The hidden history of northwest europe amongst many other things.

That sounds pretty fascinating. If only I could lounge and read all day.

I downloaded new reader
https://fbreader.org/en
It also works on older Windows OS. You just need to unpack the archive and find the program in the folders.

The hagakure…

It is basically another antithesis/rebuttal to macchiavelli.

It is a guide on how to live in the world of game of thrones…the eddard stark/soldier version.

It is different though it even offers advice on how to deal with macchiavellis…

Also the idea of seppuku…even though i disagree with the act…demonstrates a hard truth about the world…that if you fail to perform your responsibilities as a person you are expendable.

Disclaimer im not condoning seppuku.

I went back to Salem’s Lot after fuck knows how many years, not as good as my memories but still a great one

Finished the hagakure…it was indirectly anti existential and anti macchiavelli simultaneously. It was a good book.

Started reading web dubois…

Better than the media and social media commentary.

I’m currently reading “The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity” by David Graeber and David Wengrow on the origins of long-term inequalities and forms of organizing human societies. Too early to say how much I really like it and/opr agree, and I’m interested in a lot of the topics covered, so I’m a bit biased, but so far I think it’s a good read with a few long shots while taking into account a lot of evidence. (I have to post a comparison of these long-shot type books on explaining everything about humanity at some point, I think I read like a dozen of those over the last few years…)

Reading dubois has helped me make sense of the political strife of 2020…by putting it into context

Still have a lot of reading to do though…

In some of Dubois essays he reads like a heavily academic fb status update social thesis. Its miles better than most of the writing ive come across.

His essay damnation of women which discusses how women are damned by society…is pretty good. As well as his essay conservation of races.

And the last few chapters of dusk till dawn are good…

But yeah the dubois plus the baldwin book…has helped me make sense of the political strife of 2020.

Now that i see the rationale of certain arguments i am less perturbed by the nonsense.

Im not gonna go full vanilla ice anytime soon…

But my understanding has increased.

Currently devouring Stephen Kings’ 22.11.63.
And when it comes to the Kennedy Assassination, this book is up there with DeLillo’s Libra…

I Cant finish the dubois book…ill just use it for political reference.

I ordered maya angelou’s “the heart of a woman” and “letters to my daughter”…

I think these two books will be way better than hood feminism by lightyears…

I havent read them yet but they probably are better by lightyears.

The self therapy is working.

Got the books read 20 pages of each…i am not disappointed…

I was correct the maya angelou books i got are way better than hood feminism.

Very realistic, and its not in the style of a vapid fb status oped…

Also any social issue book that analyzes the kardashians impact on society…is a complete waste.

The maya angelou books that i have talk about motherhood indirectly…

Im still digesting the realities that women of whom are mothers face as described indirectly by maya angelou.

I havent been keeping up on the reading as much as i want too…but honestly the books ive been reading blows smartphone social issue philosophy out of the water.

“Person” by Sam Pink. His books are like a novel without a plot. The chapters are like narrative prose poetry.

@bfk were able to finish or enjoy any V. Woolfe?

I havent gotten around to orlando yet.

Still reading angelou at my own pace.

My drive to read more…has been supplanted by my drive to go out and do stuff.

Still reading but not as much…and also…ive gotten the answers that i sought in terms of social issues…another reason why i havent had as much of a drive…

I will get around to it though. :slightly_smiling_face: