[Spoilers] The all things dune thread

I saw the 1984 movie…I have the first book and some others that I’ve partly read…but I haven’t finished them…and I’ve read the wiki synopsis.

Also the 2021 movie comes out in the US soon…you Europe’s may have already seen it so…

So Discuss

I like Dune, I came for the spice but stayed for the interesting storytelling and the psychological and sociological depth, including stuff like the Litany against fear. Lots of research and thought went into the books, read the main books and the Butlerian jihad prequels - very different works, but I like it all for different reasons.

I think @nose recommended the Jodorowsky documentation, just recently watched it and it was really fascinating. Hope someone is gonna make an animation of it at some point.

Also, the 2000/2003 SciFi channel version is not bad, imho, and it includes the second and third books IIRC. Some strange choices, but all in all good work. I like some stuff better in this adaptation as compared to the 1984 movie. However, I really don’t like that they changed the Litany against fear - I mean the two miniseries go on for like 9 hours and they really had to mutilate the already short but epic and powerful Litany against fear? Humans are strange…

Can’t remember the 1984 film much or read the books, but if you want to get a really good heads up on the lore, Id check out Nerd Cookies and Quinn’s Ideas on Youtube. Been using these to help me with the track I’m working on.

Not yet where I am. The soundtrack is up on Youtube, but I haven’t listened to any of it and won’t, until after I finsh the track I’m working on.

October 22 east coast u.s.a

Imma knife fight Sting if this doesnt hurry up lol

Every breath you take I’ll be watching you…

Feyd reutha harkonnen

In that thongkini

Dude that look on his face is legit one of the creepiest things I"ve ever seen. Also…dat body O_O

I think this dune will be split into a few parts…not sure if they gonna split the first book or move to the sequel. Children of dune.

I’m still reading up on social issues after that then I’ll move onto dune.

The new movie does split the first book in half. Only reason it bothers me is I’m afraid we won’t get the second movie.

I want at least one series of movie adaptions to reach “God Emperor of Dune”…

Spoiler

Not for the Golem-XIV-type monologues, just for the worm visuals…

Spoiler

God Emperor is like 300 pages of Giant Worm inner monologue and 70 pages of “Bring me a new Duncan Ghola…” Also…“gross protuberance”

First time I saw the DL version i was maybe 7 or 8 y/o, shit blew my mind. i didnt have a single fucking clue what it was about but it was so weird that i thought it was cool in a Dark Crystal kind of way.

Dune was like Fight Club for me…I didn’t realize I wasn’t supposed to like the “hero” until I got older.

The butlerian jihad that would be an epic film.

Rumor has it dune is getting a sequel.

Yea, I heard something like the director wants to do at least one more to finish the first book and that has been “green lighted” to an extent. Apparently there are also plans for another director to take over and do a one movie version of Dune Messiah (or Children of Dune, I don’t know how you skip a whole book and have it make sense but…)

Also, will report back. I have access to the new movie on HBOMax for a month. From what I’ve heard people who like Dune are mostly liking it. Though its being put through the social justice keyboard warrior wringer in some regards.

Dune officially being released in theater and hbo max today…

Screenshot_20211022-054354_Google

Dune movie review…too avant garde art house…tried to stay faithful to the book…overall i was dissappointed.

Jason mamoa was the best thing in that movie.

I liked the 1984 movie better story wise…
but 2021 cgi was good…but too slow.

My hot take is that I appreciate both movies for different reasons.

So, I watched it last night. Not at the theatre unfortunately, but maybe they might replay in theatres again before part 2, even if only in IMAX.
Kept me engaged, but feel they rushed the Atreides on Arrakis part. Seems like they where wiped out the day after they arrived. As the movie was 2.5 hrs, it would have been possible, as well as the traitor part of it too. Acting was solid, and pacing was o.k overall. FX were well done and cinematography gave an epic scale. Loved the ornithopters.

Film Score: Was good, but I wasn’t blown away by it. Wasn’t keen on the bagpipes part, as it seemed out of place, with like one guy playing.
Also the Arrakis parts in the desert near the end, were a little too Lawrence of Arabia if you know what I mean.

Looking forward to part 2.