Pandemic social distancing diary thread

Yea, hopefully everyhting is chill. Ican or could see where it wouldn’t be.

My job is the opposite of chill. :joy: But we remain in high spirits. :v:

I’ve been spending my evening optimizing Windows 10. Now it’s time for a movie.

Public service announcement:

Ha. I read that smoking weed can leave you susceptible to The Virus.

One ill-informed opinion is as good as any other :smiley:

The amount of noise surrounding prevention/avoidance is huge and unfortunately social media spreads misinformation like wildfire. For me, unless I’ve read/seen a trusted source I ignore it. By trusted source I don’t mean necessarily perfect but at least relatively reliable, like the official NHS feeds.

Everyone was writing that a few weeks ago, but I didn’t find any research that really suggested it. I think it was mostly based on “it’s bad for you, so why should it help with this, huh?” evidence. It’s a bit similar imho for the discussion of nicotine, see for instance here:

No idea what’s really the case since there isn’t much real research on it out there, and of course, smoking things is kinda bad for you in general obviously.

Duh, smoking makes your lungs bigger and tougher. It’s like exercise for your cardiovascular system

That’s what I really thought at least a little bit when I made a lung capacity test many years ago lol

Can’t tell if trolling…

It damages your lungs and reduces your capacity. Might not increase your chance of catching Corona but sure makes you more likely to suffer harder if you get it.

Its been a long fucking boring, exhausting, irritating week…

…but I made it 72 hours with no nicotine. Threw all my vape shit away. Hoping this brain fog and craving bullshit starts tapering off so I can fuckin’ get back to some creative business.

Never again, I ain’t goin’ back.

Finished Gravity Rush 2. Sad to say goodbye to that world. I would jump right into 3 if there was one.

Playing through Hyper Light Drifter for the third time instead of prepping for my karaoke shindig.

My friend is seeing her old boyfriend again, ah well. That means I’m not gonna get to hang out with her despite promises of hanging out for the last two months. I’ve only ever hung with her when they where fighting. She’s the joined-at-the-hip type. I’m over this small town, but again, I’m stuck here for a little bit.

Asked about a lady…she’s married. :stuck_out_tongue: No problem, more incentive for me to get out of here once again and meet new people and learn new streets.

Currently taking notes and trying to get my old VSTs working again in Ableton. This is gonna be a longass process. Some of them still work, at least. Got my Kontakt stuff sorted!

Last time I had to setup my DAW and VSTs from scratch, it took me about a week to get up and running again. These days, I think it’d be closer to 2-3 days of focused work, having been through it and having a better idea of how to organize everything.

For the love of god, setup your own install locations, learned that one the hard way. I have like 14 different folders where VSTs go because some people install under the Steinberg VST directory, some under their own directory, and some into just a general VST directory. And then some just get extracted and go into the DAW’s own VST folder. And then with FL studio, you can natively run both 32 and 64-bit stuff, so all of that times two.

I’ve got my install location, always had. My problem is that I’m running two versions of Kontakt depending on what’s compatible (and Kontact is it’s own beast) Old registered stuff doesn’t ahem register at the moment. Live 7 Legacy pack is no longer available, and I have the files, but not the pack. Perhaps I never had much stuff sorted. When my OG computer crashed, perhaps I lost more than I thought…

I don’t know how to setup one install location. I’m old. Perhaps this is a time for me to learn new things. At least now I’m running off of one hard drive and not three. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you saying I should make a “Music” folder on my D drive and direct everything there?

Any tech support would be appreciated…

I went ahead and buzzed my head myself. Long hair is out anyway. Going back to highschool days. Feels good.

But seriously ,I have so much hair that grows on my neck. Some people got it easy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It might just mean making sure to install VST’s initially in C:/your/folder when you get new VST’s, but you may be able to simply pick up the files from their current location and drop them in your new folder. As long as all your audio programs point to that location, they’ll load up fine.

It’s gonna be a process for sure. Half of them were converted from 32 bit. I found some crazy crap I totally forgot about. My mastering software and presets are all good.

Kontakt is gonna be a real pain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If I were doing things over again, I’d make one folder with 4 sub-folders.

At the top level, I’d call it music production. Then inside of there I’d have at least these four:

1. a DAW folder

2. 32-bit VST

3. 64-bit VST

4. All loose samples

And optionally,

1. A projects folder outside of wherever your DAW puts it by default

2. A renders folder

3. A mastering folder with all the DAW project files for masters kept separate from songs

This is what I’ve more or less ended up with, but it’s not all in one place, some stuff is still installed on my C drive, some on D, etc. If it were in one place and I knew only DAW stuff is inside my DAW folder, that’d be ideal. I did at least get all my samples in one place.

EDIT: And 8. A finished songs folder, where each song has it’s own folder with the original project file, the master project file, the master audio, and the pre-master audio. This I keep in a separate place, but it’s great to have all that stuff sorted out regardless.

Awesome advice, thank you. I’ll read it properly tonight before work