Experimental Madness

Here’s one from back in the day

LMAO Captain beefheart! Those dudes used to light my world up! So much odd joy to be found in their writing styles!

Solid noise jam! Thanks for sharing

Don’t know if you guys know about these cats, but they are one of my fav:

and one of the godfathers of noise/advante garde, experiential electronic music, mr john cage:

I suspected you might be a fan… you are definately a kindred spirit.

Long ago (When that particular Beefheart album was relatively new) a bandmate handed me that album and said “… I can barely recognize this as music… but there is something going on here.” After Listening one time through I was very attracted to the energy, the freedom and the poetry. I became a huge fan.

I have to admit. You know when you’re the bomb when you use one of those cigarette holders to smoke your shit.

More alternative indie/rock/noise metal than experimental edm:

One of the 1st cross over groups to make it big?

Melt banana… wild… tight… high energy…sophisticated mayhem :ghost:

loving that upbeat experimental stuff

reminds me of a quick trend in IDM that produced these :

RIP little minion

that Hands song… I mean… :pray:t5:

A selection of stuff to add to the pool of experimental that I’ve been into over the years.

A collaboration of artists working under the Glitch(dot)cool alias are making some cool shit with a guy called Seskamol making some videos

The might Vaetxh makes some wicked experimental stuff. His sound selections are great, and his mixes are brilliant, the ability to balance so many sounds with it become a muddy mess. As well as the composition and just sheer degree of intricacy in some of tracks.

List of List took him months to create he said.

Woulg does nice stuff to

SOPHIE is nicely strange, popular to suprisingly

Oh yeah some Richard Devine’s shit really hits the experimental scene hard

Curtis Roads entire discography is experimental

Aphex Twin signed this chick apperntly

Don’t know anything about this artist I just had this one bookmarked

And just to quickly touch on the metal end of experimental there’s these few artists to

hey if you like that vaetxh woulg richard devine stuff you should check out qebrus

Ah yeah Qebrus, I’ve listened to some of his stuff. Lots of spectral domain editing, good shit but never was a massive fan to be honest. I really like the track he did with Mr Bill though

tubby may not be considered experimental by some, but he is truly one of the glitch godfathers!

Sucks to say, but I found out about him through his death. What a shitty way to find a new artist

Define ‘experimental’.

Experimental music is a general label for any music that pushes existing boundaries and genre definitions (Anon. & n.d.©). Experimental compositional practice is defined broadly by exploratory sensibilities radically opposed to, and questioning of, institutionalized compositional, performing, and aesthetic conventions in music (Sun 2013). Elements of experimental music include indeterminate music, in which the composer introduces the elements of chance or unpredictability with regard to either the composition or its performance. Artists may also approach a hybrid of disparate styles or incorporate unorthodox and unique elements (Anon. & n.d.©).

The practice became prominent in the mid-20th century, particularly in Europe and North America. John Cage was one of the earliest composers to use the term and one of experimental music’s primary innovators, utilizing indeterminacy techniques and seeking unknown outcomes. In France, as early as 1953, Pierre Schaeffer had begun using the term musique expérimentale to describe compositional activities that incorporated tape music, musique concrète, and elektronische Musik. Also, in America, a quite distinct sense of the term was used in the late 1950s to describe computer-controlled composition associated with composers such as Lejaren Hiller. Harry Partch as well as Ivor Darreg worked with other tuning scales based on the physical laws for harmonic music. For this music they both developed a group of experimental musical instruments. Musique concrète (French; literally, “concrete music”), is a form of electroacoustic music that utilises acousmatic sound as a compositional resource. Free improvisation or free music is improvised music without any rules beyond the taste or inclination of the musician(s) involved; in many cases the musicians make an active effort to avoid clichés, i.e. overt references to recognizable musical conventions or genres.

Many also consider ### Avant-garde music
artist to also be considered Experimental Music artist.