BB90 - Age of the Phoenix

BB90 - Age of the Phoenix

With the collapse of the previous IDMf domain, and the rise of the new IDMf v2.0, I thought I’d use the theme of the Phoenix. And so, it is your task to take these samples and bring them new life in the form of a song!

Start Date: 07:00 UTC - Dec. 18, 2018
End of entry window/Voting starts: 07:00 UTC - Dec. 28, 2018
Voting Ends/Winner prepares next battle: 07:00 UTC - Dec. 31, 2018
Next Battle Begins: 07:00 UTC - Jan. 1, 2019

Rules:

For this battle,

1). The track must include two variations on a central theme.

2). Be 3-5 minutes

3). Have chorus used somewhere in the song.

UPDATED SAMPLE LINK
The samples: https://tinyurl.com/y8wt6tdc
Note: if your browser complains about an untrusted certificate after clicking the link, click “continue anyway” to proceed to download the file.

Beat Battle General Rules:

Beat Battles take place over the course of two weeks. The first ten days users will have to arrange, upload, and post their track to this forum. After this, the next three days users cast their votes for their favorite track. At the end of this, the winner will be announced, and they will then become the next Beat Battle host, and will have one day to construct a battle pack and begin the next Beat Battle.

Unless otherwise stated, the only sample/audio sources you may use for your song must come from the battle pack.

In the event of a tie, the battle host will decide the winner.

The next Beat Battle

Cheers for taking the reins, I/O. I’ve been needing an excuse to get back into making music.

things are crazy for me atm with work and christmas bullshit, but im happy to see the BB up and running again. hopefully i will find some time to get in on this
:heart:

I will definitely be all over this, have a nice 12 days off for xmas break starting on the 21st so this is the perfect time to dive in. Haven’t checked out the samples yet but I’m curious to see what I can do with them. Resampling is one of my more honed skills

Getting a privacy error when I try to download the tinyurl pack :confused:

That’s the certificate trust I mentioned in the post. Hit “continue anyway”. On Chrome, there’s a thing below the privacy message, it says “Advanced” I think and gives you the option to continue.

On Firefox I had to add an exception before it let me continue.

The last one I took part in was like #13.

Also definitely “beat” battling it here.

That was quick, I haven’t even opened up my DAW yet. I was getting some Tortoise vibes from that at times.

that was super fast man, damn. I barely had time to listen to the full track. Epic.

it took me good 2min into listening to the wav to remember that i recorded these samples :face_with_monocle:

@7asid, interesting, because I definitely recorded the BB90 samples from scratch.

@Blingley, did you stay within the sample pack?

The link takes me to a dl for a folder named bb80 and indeed its the bb80 single wav in there

:frowning:

Ah my bad I totally linked the wrong pack :upside_down_face: lmao

Updating the link now.

:joy:

what about the people who’ve already started on the old pack?:rofl:

Haven’t even started anything myself. But I think it’s only fair for anyone who has used those samples to be able to submit a track with them

Yeah, I’ll say for anyone who already downloaded the BB80 sample pack, you may use that along with the BB90 pack, but you must incorporate samples from the BB90 pack (which is now properly linked in the OP). For those who are already finished, I’ll ask to consider adding something from the BB90 pack, but if your track is done and you don’t want to touch it, that’s fine.

Yes, and to top it off I stayed in the first 20% or so of it. If you have questions about any of the sounds in particular, I can dig up the Ableton sampler instrument for it.

Oh wait, the wrong pack, :rofl:

I didn’t even bother thinking much about the fact that the samples were BB80. I just thought that was part of the phoenix theme, of giving the sample a chance at a new life.

lmao yeah I totally linked the wrong pack sorry man

Naw man it’s fine, I’ll see what I can do with the correct one. I’m just wondering wth I do with this one on soundcloud. Maybe I just title it BB80 (Late Submission) or something.