BB121 - Baby's First 808

Baby’s First 808

Lore:
You kids have it soooo easy…
Back in the day we had to walk to school barefoot, through 3 feet of snow. Did I mention it was uphill?

I’ll tell you…back then we didn’t have sample pack libraries with all the funky drummers lined up for the picking. We had to program our own beats. By hand. On 16 step sequencers. Probability triggers? Are you out of your mind?!? In those days you were lucky if your drum machine had swing, never mind velocity sensitivity…

The focus for this beat battle is creating your own drum sounds starting with basic wave shapes. You can try to recreate classic drum machine sounds, or do something unconventional, but either way I want to hear rhythm-focussed tracks with an emphasis on the percussion sounds.

The Samples:

The Rules:
Rule 1:
Make a drum kit using only the basic waveform samples provided in the “Drums” folder as sources. At a minimum, the kit must include a kick, a snare, and a cymbal or high hat sound.

At some point in your track you must play a breakbeat showcasing all of the sounds in your new drum kit. You can use (or modify) one of the midi loops provided, or you can program a beat from scratch.

Rule 2:
You may use the following additional sound sources:

• The samples provided in the “Ambience and Melodic” folder.
  • Up to one instance of a synth plugin.

Rule 3:
Max track length: 2 minutes

Deadlines :
Submissions must be posted by 9AM US Pacific Time on Sunday December 20th

Voting ends at 9AM on Monday December 21st.

Beat Battle General Rules:

Beat Battles take place over the course of two weeks. The first ten days users will have to arrange, upload, and post their track to this forum. After this, the next three days users cast their votes for their favorite track. At the end of this, the winner will be announced, and they will then become the next Beat Battle host, and will have one day to construct a battle pack and begin the next Beat Battle.

Unless otherwise stated, the only sample/audio sources you may use for your song must come from the battle pack.

In the event of a tie, the battle host will decide the winner

**** in the event of winning the battle, the winner of the beat battle will be asked to make their track available for archive and also to hold onto to the project file of said “winning” track for in the event that it is to be considered for a best of the beat battles release ****

@Lug

@bbb

@Faintbrush

0 voters

fuck yeah I can make a two-minute track with only percussions. that’s within my ability range

Haha, @ErikTheRed that sounds awesome, like banging on pots and pans?

“Official” submissions should only use the provided sample pack (and any additional sources allowed in the rules), but feel free to post your kitchen sounds track if you think it follows the general theme of this BB. It wouldn’t be included in the voting, but would be cool to hear what you did!

You can ‘write’ a sinevawe from an random sample by hand.
I believe that is not considered cheating!

If you win a beat battle you can include those sound or allow recording of such in the sample pack.

Yeah, I thought about doing a sinwave and square wave, but didn’t want to make it too easy :stuck_out_tongue:

You can probably get pretty close with a LPF on the triangle, or use a resonant band pass. Or manually edit a single wave cycle like @Unk_Nown suggests. That sort of stuff is all fair game.

Testing testing, is this thread back?

Thanks @Auto-meh-geddon, yeah it’s back!

so to be clear, I can’t use the melodic samples and make percussive elements out of that?

The rule is that you need to make a “drum kit” using sounds from the limited samples in the drums sample folder, and use that kit to play a breakbeat. At a minimum, your drum kit needs to have a kick, snare and hat/cymbals. The rules as written give some flexibility, but my intent was the the “drum kit” sounds should be the main percussive elements in the track

There are no limits on how you use the other samples, so you are allowed to make additional percussive elements with those samples, but you can’t use them for your “drum kit” sounds (Kick, Snare and hat/cymbal).

You can do it! Layla. :smiley:

Also, I can get a pattern but the samples are what they are. I’d love to layer a drum kit with them but that’s not the rules. :slight_smile:

Especially since I need my “synth” for some bass/melody, not sure yet.

I will sub because I need a break from my own limitations but not sure I’ll reach the time limit, etc. I am shooting to keep it in the lines though.

See you guys on the other side.

EDIT - Actually, the max of 2mins is nice. And rethinking layers of the second folder and how to maybe effect them, have me wanting to finish my smoke to go give it a whirl. Though I definitely would love to be able to layer some piano into the one melody I picked so far. Hehe

I’ve been doing resampling of resampled samples and I’m getting some decent sounds out of those pure waves. Even a single period of that sawtooth wave sounds awesome

There, I ended up making lame 2010 autonomic drum n bass

BUT I MADE SOMETHING SO

EDITed my version

I love that folk idm vibe on both of your tracks. definitely in the style of edIT, four tet or the books. I’ve always had a thing about the mix of bleepy electronics and acoustic instruments

Poll is up, y’all have 24 hours to get your votes in!

Like both tracks. Thinking overall sound quality/processing is better than mine as well. Hehe