Bb112 - mmxx

IO’s vote counts!

metapop is a great community! I have 142 plays on a song I posted a day ago, while here, I have 2 people who have bothered to check it out!

https://audiu.net/home is yet another thriving community of supportive artist, you occasionally run across some pricks, but not as many entitled arsholes as on idmf.

if you’re into modular stuff muffwiggler is a very active community

watmm.com they have it setup to be a paid support system, but very active group of people…

https://hearthis.at/ has come along ways, with groups, and so pn… always been less of a clique type place…

I think @IO_Madness has the right idea in general. Listen to him lol.

A lot to digest here, but I will say this:

The 2 week intervals that the original bb’s occurred at existed for a reason. It kept things moving along nicely.
There needs to be a bit of urgency in order for it to really work IMO. Everyone works harder and has to actually make decisions instead of procrastinating. The only problem with the deadlines is when the forum activity isn’t high enough to support it, which seems to be the case now.

And I do want to respond to @Tsachi on one thing. I don’t think that everyone’s motivation was just to win. It does make it more exciting to know you might win, and that can be motivating for sure. But for me, it’s a way to stay sharp and I also get to enjoy seeing such vastly different outcomes form roughly the same starting point.

It also helps me form habits which avoid some of the biggest pitfalls a producer can fall into. Such as, falling in love with your little ideas and not fleshing them out, or forgetting how many different directions you can take and just doing things the same way over and over. Seeing people be creative is just something that keeps me going.

It is fun to win too tho lol.

I gave this (and you’re whole post) some good thought last night, I didn’t want to reply without thinking about it. I think I still have a somewhat romanticized idea about what this place is, and I guess it’s just a bummer that it doesn’t seem to be the way I remember it, but I think I agree with what you said, and about the current state of this site.

I think what @IO_Madness is trying to say is that there are already lots of places where BB’s are likely to get more entries and participation in general, and that if we want to do those kinds of things in the way they were originally intended to work we should be taking advantage of these other resources. (If this misses the ball, please correct me)

@TvMcC. Thanks for that list! I didn’t know about a lot of these places, I’m going to check them out for sure.

You’re correct, but there has yet to be any proposition as to how to fix the traffic issue. Really, if were being honest, having more traffic to this site would require an almost complete redesign and a good amount of funding. It’s really not realistic. I like this site, and i will continue to be active here, but we should be honest about its flaws.

If you have some ideas about how to makes this happen, I’m all ears, but I will be honest, I don’t really have high hopes.

I’m not sure what this was all about, but if you’re trying to sarcastically strengthen the argument that the state of beat battles is due to the host(s) not doing there jobs, that’s wrong, and I for one never found that to be true. The whole job of the host(s) is to facilitate the BB and provide users with the materials needed. What are they supposed to do if no one participates? It’s not any one persons fault, its a combined failing, but we can see that the hosts DID do their job. They created the post and sample packs, set the theme, clarified the “intended” deadlines, start date, informed us of when voting was to begin (very specifically) and (In my case), were helpful when there were issues with things like sample packs etc. I don’t think there is much else we can reasonably ask, the rest is up to us participants, and we’re the ones that have failed, not the host.

On a (somewhat) side note…

I love this callout! These are great examples of creative stagnation, and something I have found myself guilty of many times. This is something we should keep in mind if we desire growth.
:spider:

I never said it was your fault. I said the BB’s run according to a set schedule that is the same everytime (in theory), and is posted in the BB description. Anyone can read it, it’s right there. And when the date passes, you can vote. That’s how the BB’s have always worked. Right now tho, we only have a handful of people participating, so when there’s only two people, oddly it seems trite to announce to the one participant that it is now time for them to vote… for the only other participant.

But those times haven’t really brought in THAT many extra submissions.
BB107 was delayed three weeks, and garnered one extra submission, for a total of two
BB106 was delayed a month and garnered one extra submission, for a total of three
BB105 was delayed two weeks which garnered two extra submissions, for a total of five.

In times where the deadline was extended due to low participation, participation wasn’t significantly increased. It doesn’t make sense to extend deadlines when it delays new BB’s from starting, and is only bringing in one or two people. It’s better just to start a new one, have the people that already participated make new tracks, and the people who missed the last one can just participate in the new one.

I appreciate your input, but you’re focused only on this one battle, and you’re missing the overlying problem, that not just this BB, but overall the BB’s have low turnout, which is detrimental to the long term. You’re not seeing the long term problem, and you attacking us the hosts and thinking we have to do what you want isn’t helpful.

Take a chill pill, or better yet, start making a sample pack so we’ll have the next BB ready. THAT would be something that WOULD be helpful.

It’s the understanding that the host does the announcements, however, the dates are always listed in the beat battle description for everyone to see. The knowledge is there, so doesn’t strictly speaking need to be anyone there to announce anything. I imagine it’s mostly because we’ve been slow recently that people aren’t keeping at it as much we should.

We should keep the Beat Battles going, and we will post another battle, but we’re at a point where we should think long term. Moving the Beat Battles to a new platform could bring new life and blood into the BB’s. Mind you, the BB’s have always been independent of IDMf. No one from the IDMf netlabel has anything to do with the BB’s. It’s just a handful of users that think it’s cool enough to keep coming back. I keep the sample packs backed up to an archive, and people keep coming together to put together sample packs. It’s a cool thing, but if it stays here, it’s not gonna get any bigger.

Which is EXACTLY THE REASON why we are having this discussion. Just continuing on this slow trudge on a site that is basically defunct will not change one god damn thing. We can start another battle, but then what? This BB was the 112th BB, there have been 111 before this one. I think we have tried the route where we “keep on trucking”, we’ve literally had 112 beat battles where we did that, and gee, we only have a few participants! Huh, I wonder why that is? Maybe just starting a new battle ISN’T the solution!! OMG!!! What a concept! Could it be because sometimes due dates get pushed back to the point that no one takes the BB’s seriously? Or is it the fact that the site is defunct anyhow and no new people are rushing in to become members of IDMforums.com.

All of the ones @TvMcC mentioned, as well as Facebook groups (synth groups, local DIY music groups, abnormal music groups), Discord chats, Reddit, shoot, even your local scene maybe? You know how much stuff is going on in Denver, Portland, Chicago, Houston? Lots of places beyond some small barely exisitng site on some random guy’s server in his basement that’s been all but forgotten by most of the people that even were using it when it was “kind of” a thing 10 years ago.

I think the BB’s are a cool idea, and I would like to see this become an actual thing with lots of talented musicians and cool samples put together and getting 30-50 people participating every battle. Not that we don’t have talented members here, we do, absolutely we do, but there’s so talent out there beyond IDMf, limiting us to this site is guaranteeing that they are forgotten.

We can keep it here for the time being, but I think moving to a new platform would be very advantageous.

@IO_Madness The last quote in you post is weird…I think we broke the site, haha!! it has my username in it, but I didn’t participate in that part of the conversation… :thinking: If you expand it it has one of my posts instead of what is displayed in the quote box. Am I missing something or is that not how that should worK? lol

oops! must’ve missed deleting a quote header, you indeed didn’t say that! fixed

Ok, glad it’s not just me. :wink:

And I’m not even coming after IDMf, I mean, if people like coming on here, and feel they get something from the site, I’m not telling you to not come here. Do what you do. I’ve known and currently know lots of like minded individuals that are also talented producers/musicians from this site.

It’s clear though that this site is slowly but surely becoming a ghost site (if not already), so I think moving the BB’s to a new platform would help them grow into something bigger.

Unfortunately, I wont have time tomorrow to continue exploring this track and it’s idea. I feel like there was a lot more to explore, but that’s ok. It’s messy, and I would certainly never choose to put a track of this quality on any or my releases, but I feel like that’s the point, It’s not supposed to be easy, it’s supposed to push you

That being said, This was my first BB and I really enjoyed myself! I feel like I was challenged, learned a lot, and am actually a bit humbled by the experience. This really was a fun and interesting exercise, and I want to continue to try and work within limitations that I did not set.

So anyway, as promised. I hope this track is at least somewhat interesting to listen to. Cheers everyone!

:spider:

Also… My vote goes to @Tsachi. It’s a bumpin’ tune AND was submitted on time (I just couldn’t help myself). Nice Job!

Uhh sorry but , @Tsachi u know i wub u, but going to have to switch my vote!

this bb is rigged! and the late comer stole my vote!

I also give @relic a vote for being a knob, but don’t tell him…

ITAP of @relic IRL

switch it to who, there’s two other entries :smirk:

uh if you switch it to IO then I think we’re tied, but if you switch it to MUW then I still win with one vote leading.

I vote for IO though, so either it’s a tie or IO wins

In the case of a tie, the host chooses the winner. Declaring the winner is usually way easier when the votes are easy and TIMELY to tally, and we used to bold and/or color the vote red or whatever jumped out on the old site, can’t remember how to change text color right now.

And stop arguing, all of you! Or I’ll take away your pudding. I only brought up the deadline thing as a joke, it always happens. People are just too busy or they simply don’t care about beat battle, which is fine either way.

We do have a discussion for beat battles, it’s the aptly named Beat Battle Discussion thread, which is here. I’ll go write some more stuff in there.

Why dont we just start a poll, like this?

• Tsachi
  • IO_Madness
  • Make Us Whole

0 voters

Seems like an easy way to do this, especially in the future.

I like the track title, definitely sets the tone. Not a bad track either!

@TvMcC @makeuswhole

the poll is too formal >: ( lol
I guess I win huh
I’ll get the next battle up soon

BUt if it’s not formal, how will people know what to fuss about?!?

I’m so confused, but hey that’s what happens if you eat moldy cheese!

wait this all came out wrong, ment to say congrats

@relic i feel so honored that someone picked out my sibling for me

@makeuswhole - don’t get any fancy ideas, I don’t like sharing covers, you’ll have to bring your own duvet