BB109 - Fantasia

Start Date: 12AM PTD- Apr 6, 2020
End of entry window/Voting starts: 12AM PTD - Apr 16 ,2020
Voting Ends/Winner prepares next battle by: 12AM PTD - Apr 19, 2020 (or TBA)

Let’s all explore the pure form of fantasy! By this I mean free form, no particular form of music needs to shine through! “Imaginative musical ideal”. I cooked up most of these samples quickly, so hope you enjoy!

:EDIT:
Forgot to add unique rules:

1. Idea must be free flowing, free-form. Using different forms and styles constantly.

2. Productions that are filled with loops from beginning to end without any breakdowns or switch ups are frowned upon.

3. No other samples other than what has been provided.

You can use influences of the renaissance or baroque or 20th century stuffs…but… F those crusty bums! I mean mad props, but get outta your own headspace, and just go for it!

Do your best to sculpt a few bits of what I’ve provided into your composition please.

By composition I do not mean go and study what Chopin did, or how the structure of songs in the movie Fantasia where arranged! Be your own interpretation of what a composition is! :laughing:

There’s no need to worry about song/piece length. However lets say you write a 30 second song, please do 3 other concepts/songs/sound logos/conceptual sound/whatever. Give us a total of lets say 4 short things, mixed together expressing maybe a few ideas that emote a feeling, or something!

MOst importantly have fun!

Beat Battle General Rules:

Beat Battles take place over the course of two weeks. The first ten days users will have to arrange, upload, and post their track to this forum. After this, the next three days users cast their votes for their favorite track. At the end of this, the winner will be announced, and they will then become the next Beat Battle host, and will have one day to construct a battle pack and begin the next Beat Battle.

Unless otherwise stated, the only sample/audio sources you may use for your song must come from the battle pack.

In the event of a tie, the battle host will decide the winner

**** in the event of winning the battle, the winner of the beat battle will be asked to make their track available for archive and also to hold onto to the project file of said “winning” track for in the event that it is to be considered for a best of the beat battles release ****

How much are plugins allowed?
I have a subtractive plugin that basically adds whatever sample i load to the original. That could be considered cheating, because i can use samples you have not provided and say that its a plugin. Also, plugins mostly start from a sine wawe or other basic wawe so that is also cheating… ?

what are the three unique rules this time, in list format?

To answer the plugin question, no synths allowed. Any sampler is fine as long as you only use the samples included. Any plugin used to change whatever you’re putting into it is fine i.e. distortion, filter, time based effects, what have you. But if the plugin is generating a sound on its own to begin with, best to not use it. You can get creative by editing, effecting, or otherwise mangling the samples and then putting the result into a sampler. I usually end up taking a single cycle waveform from a sample to get basic sounds that are sine or saw-esque. Creating a square wave is a bit more work but I’ll let you figure that out.

A granular “synth” is also a great idea, awesome sounds from one of those using nearly any sort of sample you put in.

@Tsachi - Edited. My apologies.

Hope the time frame works for everyone, if not we can adjust it as a community.

Thank you.
I know, i do that too and i prefer it over synths.
Good luck, have fun

nice sample pack, dig all the scary bass sounds that are gonna give me nightmares

My entry. :DDDDDDDD

@st3aLth

Great job finishing up quick, now make 3 more¡ :laughing:

Threw this together rather quickly to exhibit what I meant by combing multiple quick ideas. Ie. 30 second songs, soundfonts, ideas, etc.

THIS IS NOT A ENTREE INTO THE BB

YEAH
I’ve been working on making electroacoustic music for school, the 1950’s Parmegiani Luc Ferrari Pierre Henry old school sample foolery, and I’m rediscovering working the timeline as opposed to working number of bars. Composing a second at a time. No pulse to tie it all together (though it’s easily replaced by the usual drone).
Cool shit, I hope I can make something for this BB. Good rules TvMcC, good show

Nice piece.

So excited and looking forward to some entries!

ive got one coming soon!

edit: Here it is

Guess you’re the only participant? Crown you the winner?

Any more entries?

I wouldn’t mind waiting a couple of days if anyone’s working on something

Put this together this morning. Mix is terrible as always.

Title says it all

I’m too lazy to create something. But I’m glad I created something. An interesting experience.

i didnt quite follow the guidelines that closely and meant to switch up parts more but i never got to it :confused:

@TvMcC You know the host is allowed to submit too right?