Announcing IDMf065 VA - Open Genre Compilation Competition

The IDMf Netlabel returns with a new Open Genre Various Artist Compilation Competition…

Competition Type: Open Genre

Deadline: October 31st, 2022
Exact timing isn’t important as submissions can be accepted late upon request and date extension can be considered.

Restrictions: Must Source samples from the IDMf Netlabel Catalog. External effect’s, samples & synths, VST’s can be used to supplement the track, however the main body of material must come from a pre-existing track from any of the previous 64 IDMf Netlabel Releases.

Description: The IDMf Netlabel contains a rich history of releases dating back to 2009’s IDMf001: In Depth Melodics. The IDMf Netlabel and IDMforums have been inextricably linked since inception. Over the last several years the forum along with the internet and member base have changed. In an effort to reintroduce the IDMf Netlabel Catalog to the current membership of the IDMforums the administrators of the forum have decided to run a competition using the back catalog as sample fodder for something new.

Think of the previous netlabel releases as one giant crate, for digging.

To clarify, this is not a remix competition nor do we want the original tracks destroyed. The intention is to honor the original work by making it your own but not in a way that loses the spirit of the original track. You might be saying - “That sounds like a remix competition.” All we can say is…

Yes and no.

Multiple tracks can be used / combined / taken from but only one source from the catalog is required. In addition to your track a brief description of the track you chose, why you chose it and what you did with it will be required with submission and posted here in this thread. Winners will receive a fully mastered track, a coveted spot spot on an official IDMf Netlabel Release, and the promo campaign that follows.

General Submission Information: All IDMf Netlabel demo submissions should be sent to label.idmf@gmail.com or via private message to @RFJ.

Please leave -3 to -6dbfs peak on your clean (no fx) master channel.

It is also ideal if you send it in at 24 bit 44.1 Khz. (Sending at greater than 24 is not a problem, and less than this can be managed, but your quality will suffer, so please do attempt this standard).

Please send a streaming/downloadable link, no attachments. Please include artist name and forum name if they are different.

Release Date & Title: TBD

Should you find any of the above unclear please feel free to post any questions related to this comp here in this thread. Additionally, should you find any aspects of your search through the catalog inspiring, or if you come across something you like but have never heard, post it here as well. It is the intention of this compilation to get the forum talking about the label again so, please…don’t be shy.

The IDMf Netlabel Catalog is linked throughout this post but can also be found here -

If i can access the project file i might do a reinterpritation of my track from release 50…

Update found it.

Will do a reinterpretation of my higgs boson track…

Awesome, sounds like an interesting idea, really looking forward to what will come out of this!

Not sure what I make for this, but I’m def planning to participate in some way.

If someone wants to extract stems from a track and doesn’t have dedicated software for this, there are some free AI-based tools such as these:
https://colab.research.google.com/github/sony/ai-research-code/blob/master/d3net/music-source-separation/D3Net-MSS.ipynb
https://colab.research.google.com/github/deezer/spleeter/blob/master/spleeter.ipynb

@everyone

@everyone

This…thread. :slight_smile:

I’ve been waiting for this idea for a comp to drop for literal years ya’ll. Now I just need to find time and energy.

As you know I really, really loved your IDMf050 track. I thought you did a great job with leveling up your melody and harmony skills on that one and combining that with, what I would call, your trash can glitch production style. Here’s a link for anyone who hasn’t heard it…

Really great stuff.

Also…

Submission received.

You are the consistent winner on the first track in most every time.

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with, stoked you’re interested in submitting. We are all good at what we do but the bar is always raised when you throw your hat in.

Good look on that link too. I’ll definitely be checking those out.

Lol, yeah it’s crazy how quickly time passes. I think we first batted this idea around probably two to two and a half years ago now. I’m stoked too, obviously. I normally don’t write music this way so it’ll be a nice challenge.

I have some ideas. They sound good in my head, but knowing my musical ability it will turn out the pieces I’m thinking of mixing are in keys a tritone apart or something. We shall see…

dude, this is lit. found this place today, how have i gone this long not knowing the site exists lmao

haha good luck brother

^Welcome to the forum!

The label / forum been doing these comps / releases longer than some of us have been around. Most of us have been around for a long time but the label predates most of us you’ll see post here.

If you take a listen through the catalog you’ll find some really superb stuff, depending on what you’re into. In the Netlabel release category we have stuck a few releases at the top of the section. Those will give you a good idea of what the label / member base of the forum is capable of.

Hopefully you can listen through some things and give us a submission for consideration in this comp.

:slight_smile:

awesome! I was listening to a bit of the bandcamp, cool stuff!
and hey, I might just make something for the comp too! Thanks for fillin me in!

Can confirm multiple samples I wanted were chords and they did not fit together without some cutting. Good news is I caved, took the easy road, and I’m chopping a few samples instead. This is going much better.

Awesome man!

What tracks have you listened through so far for the material? If you don’t mind sharing….

I’m sticking with the material I’m most familiar with/favorite songs:

IDMf 049: Maaurriiccee (horn loop near 6:38) and Positive Energy (the initial stab which turned out to be a chord that I can kind of keep in tune with my main bed)

IDMf 050: Long Trip Home (looks like the stuff I pulled here isn’t going to get used, but maybe as a background noise layer or something - pulled guitar loop from the start as well as a filtered bass loop later on)

IDMf 056: Collective Dissonance (going to attempt the chop up the vocal from the first part of the song and see if the words come out clean enough to use again)

IDMf 064: MA (guitar loop, also chopped so I can make up my own melodies with the existing notes, which is easier than it sounds, this will be the main bed as I’m structuring my BPM around this loop to build the whole song). I had to use this one, it’s the hardest I ever fought to have a song on an album, I still love it.

I don’t think I’ll be arsed with finishing this, but I started something featuring Anodyne Industries, u-metiq, essenthy, @Roo_Stercogburn and the glitch pack. Nothing else.

It was fast, it was fun, it has some nice textures here and there but the drums don’t fit.

I forgot about the sample pack and I helped make that…

I wish we had gotten around to doing more of those, they were pretty good for engagement.

it’s not a remix because you are not using the track’s stems. you are using the physical whole track. instead of drums, synths, etc from said track

I deleted my original post because…it doesn’t matter…have fun is all that matters :slight_smile:

when labelling the song title are we supposed to include the regular artist? or is this an original supplied with samples from another song?