Whats the point of using free Auto tune if you need manual mode?

I know Melodyne or Antares Autotune has a manual mode where you can adjust every word. But free Auto tune like Meldaproduction MAutoPitch or similar works in auto mode and you can’t edit every word you know. Or how does it all work? explain to me

Why use free Autotune just to throw on your acapella?

My only experience with any sort of auto-tune is briefly testing Slate’s MetaTune. I assume free Autotune is similar in that you just select a scale and drop it on a track and it quantizes any pitch to that scale well enough. For a lot of uses, I see the reason you’d use that - a full version of Autotune/Melodyne is several hundred USD compared to a free/cheap version, and the cheap version is “close enough”. Also could make sense for a demo track or something where you plan to have it produced by a pro later on, but you need a rough idea of what that will sound like while you write the track.

Frankly, for a lot of electronic music, I think full Melodyne is a bit overkill as we’re already working with such processed vocals, vocoders are an option if we want perfect pitch, and the stuff that full Melodyne gives you access to versus the free Autotune is basically more of a word-by-word control of that pitch correction that you might need a handful of times throughout a song. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I think I have vocals in one track so far, so it’s not my expertise.

Melodyne is great for editing out breathing and taming sibilants without having to rely on automation.

I sometimes record some vocals then edit them in melodyne to rewrite the tune. Then I re-record the vocals along with the melodyne’d tune and get rid of the previous melodyne track. I may then edit the vocals as above if I think they’re keep-worthy.

I mean, of course something free or is a demo isn’t going to be fully featured. I wouldn’t find an automatic mode where it adjusts everything to a certain key or scale useful. When I make remixes I usually just write in the same key of the original song. With such good time stretching algorithms now, adjusting the BPM of the vocal/samples really isn’t an issue as long as you keep the BPM changes reasonable. I have Imagine Line Autotune (forget its real name) and I basically only use it to see what the notes of a loop or sample are if I can’t figure it out otherwise. Or if I want to copy and paste the MIDI from a loop and use it for another instrument.

Obviously I have my uses for it, but unless you are recording vocals or just want that Autotune sound on a vox I’m not sure it is a super useful tool.