What is/How do I apply the Haas effect, make binaural beats...and other weird dsp stuff

Anyone got any tips or any info in regards to the haas effect, making binaural beats and any other info weird digital signal processing stuff…

Oh you’re back? :star_struck:

I had a thread on the last forum dedicated to making binaural beats that took me hours to make :sob:. What’s the haas effect, though?

Honestly it’s like trying to quit smoking, but before I fuck off just wanna help rebuild the information database…

But anyways I’m not sure but I think the haas effect is a pre-delaying of the signal before panning it to both the left and right stereo channels…but I’m not sure…@parricide also mentioned this weird effect that involves amplitude modulation or something I cant remember… binaural beats I’m guessing is playing with the stereo field but then there are phase cancellation issues as well as some other stuff…but I’m not too sure was wondering if anyone is more knowledgeable…I could Google it but too much stuff to sift through…so…here I am…

Haas Effect is a where the brain can’t distinguish two sounds as separate if there’s less than ~40ms between them. That’s why early reflections/short pre-delay makes things sound ‘bigger’ - we’re hearing separate sounds, but our brain strings them together.

It’s also a key element of stereo widening. Try duplicating a track, pan them hard left and right, and throw a 15-20ms delay on one. That’s the Haas Effect at work.

I wrote about this in a thread a while back and linked this article:

It was @gbsr who first mentioned the notion to me about delaying timings up to like 32ms and how your ear perceives the sound as one. Simple and great to keep in mind for drum timings or staggering a bass hit behind a kick, etc. Also helps to re-adjust quantization.

You basically use this thought everyday in music if you’re timing drums. By delaying the snare just slightly behind a kick you give both they’re space and they sound like one thing.

The hass effect would be taking two identical signals and hard panning them left and right and delaying even only one of them up to 40ms.

The plucky stuff that sounds like a card flicking through a bicycle tire in this is a form of hass effect:

I actually took one mono track, duplicated, staggered one and then did some fades in and out to have them come in and out separately, as an effect. I can’t remember if i pitched one over the other but I believe there are some volume differences.

A synthesizer like Sytrus is perfect for making binaural beats and isochronic tones. Because it has 6 oscilators both fm and rm matrices and and 6 main outputs with pan control, not including filter outputs.

For binaural beats you can pick two oscillators and off-shift one by say 15 hz, this way each note you play has the same difference, and output one to left stereo and one to right stereo. Or just pick the exact hz like 200hz and 215hz, but then its static at these freq and wont trigger notes on the piano roll.

Isochronic tones can be done with the same freq, or in addition to the binaural beats, this is done with modulating amplitude pulse at diff frequencies. So you can take two more oscillators and choose the hz you want (maybe you want it the same as the binaural beat freq of 15 Hz) and RM mod the main source (the binaural source).

I bet FM8 would be good for this too although I haven’t used it.

If you use FL studio I can send you a Sytrus patch.

Cheers,
Meme