What determines the function of a chord?

I’ve been trying to learn about functional harmony and I keep asking myself the above question. Each chord seems to have a general function (with exceptions) within scales, but why is that so? Were scales made with those functions in mind, or were those functions agreed upon or discovered after scales were already determined? Is it a result of having 7 notes in a scale? For example, if you were to choose 7 random notes within an octave…would the 5th chord always serve a dominant function?

DISCLAIMER: I know I’m asking a simple question that doesn’t have a simple answer and I don’t expect any response to be cut and dry. I also realize I’m making a lot of assumptions about the way music works that may or may not be true, however any insight at all would be helpful! Thanks!

What is a function of a chord? Technically?
You write chords seem to have a function. What do you call by function? I dont get the term…

Chord consists of notes. Notes are applied on a scale. You can apply one chord over different scales with different root note. Further you can play in one scale, switch to the chord i was talking about and into a different scale, different key.
If you have e g a chord for exaple you can play e major, e minor, g minor, f# minor and major, a minor and major, (not in any order) you can play f phrygian, a phrigian which is e melodic minor and so on. From free jazz, there is a possibility to switch keys and scales every second note. You can play all the 12 octave notes (chromatic scale) in just in one key.

Scales are not just 7 notes but any number of them less than 13 and more than 1. Lol. . i remember… The function of a chord is determined by harmony. Harmony is a two note formation. Harmony is determined by the relation of two notes in an octave. If you have 12 harmonic steps that are written as I, II… I am right otherwise im talking shit.

I have no clue about why they are named dominant, supertonic, subwhatever and so on.
I have no theoretical clue about harmony.
Im not the theory man, this is from guitar practice.

Honestly, I’m a bit perplexed by the number of threads you’ve created outside of googling simply any youtube video to give yourself an idea of what notes are and how they work. I understand this is a forum and people discuss the nature of things they’ve experienced and what they like or don’t like but seriously…

DISCLAIMER - You’re asking the same question in different wordings, repeatedly. You’re not even attempting to bring it up in conversation, you’re bringing it up in your own context. Stop. Unless you’re a bot, a ( a poor one in my opinion)music reporter, or just completely oblivious to the world of google, repeatedly asking the same question, and starting new threads in the process is annoying to the community involved.

However, I’ll try to answer the fucking question. Pardon the french.

I’m a piano/keys player. I’ll admit I learned certain things as I went along but I have never been classically trained or really strived to be anything but what I am. Someone that uses keys to play out much of what I make. Timings, edits to that, etc…I will play on but it came out of my head.

I’ve also attempted chords and also found myself “cheating” on them in different places because simply put a chord is minimally 3 notes played together. Well, how about achieving interesting combinations with only 2. You play the root or the chord and the 7th note up, or even the root and either the 3rd or 4th. Holy shit, you’ve just made music, and your fingerings don’t have to fully represent an actual chord. But it represents the basic level or understanding.

I don’t play complex chords. My production method doesn’t require it currently and I haven’t really gone that route in my study of chords. Just hasn’t happened.

The goal of music writing, producing, isn’t to copy cat someone. It’s to sound like yourself. But to be fair the formula has already happened. If you want to be an individual, you learn to work inside of those constraints. “Chords”, in my opinion even at 2 notes, layered with other elements can take you a lot of places. Especially if you consider electronic music is basically written. It isn’t. But it also might not be all written in one phase.

Simple chords are important. Complex chords are also important. Shit, 2 notes used in a minor and major way, can be important. At a minimal level, at the basic level, 1 note to the next sounding good is important.

If you haven’t learned to write music, even at a basic level, asking people that have is simply redundant. I was someone that started with drum pads. Bought a key-ish controller and then keyboards there after.

I’ll also add, if I were an admin here, I’d ban your account for simply re-asking the same question over and over. I’m now involved answering your question when other people already have, in different ways.

Your name is Young Capone…Just by eyeballing the idea of your name, you’re a hip hop beat writer. When to be honest, Google resolves a lot of issues.

Thanks for the response! I don’t mean to bring any harm to you or this forum through my questions, I’m simply trying to learn. I’ll keep in mind what you said about this community and continue to not go out of my way to damage it.
If my ignorance offends you, then I’m sorry, but at the same time I can’t help my own level of stupidity and am not going to dwell on whether or not my lack of knowledge has hurt your feelings. I hope you understand that my only goal in asking these questions is to learn rather than frustrate you. I do the majority of my research outside of this forum, but asking questions is a vital part of the learning process and I will continue to ask questions. You have every right to feel however you would like to feel, but at the same time I have every right to ask questions I feel need to be asked. I would love to hear more of your responses and don’t want to become enemy’s but, at the end of the day, if my questions are really perplexing you, I would suggest you simply don’t respond.

Now , in regards to the community as a whole, I would love to continue to be a part of it. If you want to report me or complain to me to an admin, I’m sure there is a way for you to do that. If an admin wants to ban me or tell me to adjust my content that is their decision and I would respect it.

At the end of the day, I’m not your therapist and although I won’t go out of my way to hurt you, your feelings are not my responsibility. So, I guess you have three choices, respond to my posts, ignore my posts, or report me. It’s up to you…

Thanks for the response! I don’t mean to bring any harm to you or this forum through my questions, I’m simply trying to learn. I’ll keep in mind what you said about this community and continue to not go out of my way to damage it.
If my ignorance offends you, then I’m sorry, but at the same time I can’t help my own level of stupidity and am not going to dwell on whether or not my lack of knowledge has hurt your feelings. I hope you understand that my only goal in asking these questions is to learn rather than frustrate you. I do the majority of my research outside of this forum, but asking questions is a vital part of the learning process and I will continue to ask questions. You have every right to feel however you would like to feel, but at the same time I have every right to ask questions I feel need to be asked. I would love to hear more of your responses and don’t want to become enemy’s but, at the end of the day, if my questions are really perplexing you, I would suggest you simply don’t respond.

Now , in regards to the community as a whole, I would love to continue to be a part of it. If you want to report me or complain to me to an admin, I’m sure there is a way for you to do that. If an admin wants to ban me or tell me to adjust my content that is their decision and I would respect it.

At the end of the day, I’m not your therapist and although I won’t go out of my way to hurt you, your feelings are not my responsibility. So, I guess you have three choices, respond to my posts, ignore my posts, or report me. It’s up to you…

As an admin: your questions are fine. Please ask. There hasn’t been much theory discussion since the old forum got eaten by HD failure. At some point I can clean up the discussion and maybe combine it into one thread.

Sounds good. Thanks for responding

My apologies if I came off harsh. The question is fine; questions are fine. I think we all spent some part of our history, either here, or in similar formats, learning how to use things, an etiquette. If you’re not used to a forum, it’s a bit more slow-paced then say a chatroom.

I don’t think you’re hurting or damaging the community by asking questions and I’m probably more or less out of line by mentioning it, myself. i’m not an admin or mod. Again, questions are great. New blood, people starting. That’s what it’s for. So again, apologies if I came across abrasive to the number of threads started about one singular topic.

But, nah…You’re right. I can always ignore you as well and you can create all the threads you want about 1 singular topic.

No problem. I hope I didn’t over react as well. All in all I appreciate you letting me know how you feel. Thanks for clearing things up