The books we are reading

The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction… story I’m in the middle of …The Golem by Avram Davidson. Written in 1955.

The anthology covers the progression of Sci-Fi from 1844 through 2008.

That anthology sounds really interesting! I only know a very limited number of books from Sci-Fi history, but I always found it impressive to see the original ideas the more modern stuff is based on.

Currently…

We’ve almost read the whole discworld series; on our last saga, the witches. I say “we”, because I read to my wife every night before bed. It’s our little thing.

It’s the only time I read fiction.

Non-fiction is what I normally read.
Last thing I read was my favorite pair of books:
SX329_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

SX332_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

Cheers,
Jayson

For the past few months I’ve been reading my way through Bertrand Russell’s: “History of Western Philosophy”, quickly becoming a fan in the process.

Russell is never affraid to speak his mind, which I find refreshing. He did not, for example, think very highly of Aristotle, and his critique of the actions of the Catholic church during the middle ages is (deservedly) brutal. He also had a wicked sense of humour, - sometimes joking so subtly that the hurried reader might well miss it completely.

I might not agree with him on everything, but his strong personal opinions make it a captivating read. Recommended.

If you like Jamaica, Jamaican music, Bob Marley and you think Jamaica must be heaven on earth… than this is not your book :slight_smile:

It is pretty rough. A poetic insight into recent Jamaican history, ghetto-life and yes… music and music business … or how to survive as a musician in Jamaica.
That might be not the most accurate description of this book, but you get an idea. I`m not finished yet but i can highly recommend it.

I am in love with this book. It`s nothing less than epic. I started reading it in german but got myself a orginal version also, because i was sure the vibe /slang translates much better there… so i switch from the german version to the english from time to time.

Always good stuff. :slight_smile:

Continuing our Discworld series, we just started this one.
SX279_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

Cheers,
Jayson

Don’t remember the rabbit hole that took me to this suggestion, but cool book

speed%20tribes

Currently finishing up Oliver Sacks’ “Musicophilia” and a collection of academic papers brought together by Honing called “Origins of Musicality.” Both books have been pretty influential in my decision to study psych and cognitive science in school. Musicophilia is definitely a more approachable read, Sacks’ prose is just seamless, while Musicality is pretty dense, but no less interesting.

“Talking to my daughter. A brief history of capitalism” by Yanis Varoufakis - read it yesterday on a long trip home. Even though I don’t agree with everything he writes, I think it’s an interesting way of simplifying things and getting down to his main ideas. Very simple, easy and readable, even more or less for kids I assume, but written in 9 days, and it kinda shows :wink:

“The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry” by Jon Ronson. Interesting fast-paced journey thorugh the “madness industry”. Thoughtful and differentiated. It reminds me a bit of “Them - Adventures with Extremists”.

Also, “In One Person” by John Irving, I read it in the German version since I got the book from a relative. Irving is a very good and likeable narrator, but I was thinking most of the time just about the nearly complete self-absorption of the person narrating the book. For me, it was more like a strange convoluted glimpse into the Zeitgeist, like a mirror of a time obsessed with complete self-involvement, than really reading a story. I kinda get it that this is a prominent form of introspective novellist literature, but that might kinda be the point I guess. Interesting in any case.

The 4th Hap & Leonard book: Bad Chili

Oh, I stumbled upon The Gutenberg project at gutenberg.org where they give away classic books (seems mostly prior to 1900) free. So I did “The Prince” of Machiavellian fame (which doesn’t seem all that dark most of the time, but then there are moments where you remember “oh shit property rights weren’t a thing that makes this 200% more evil”).

“Heart of Darkness” was lost on me tbh. I can’t tell if this story has just been re-told so many times I couldn’t get anything new out of it or if I was just being completely obtuse. I had moments and glimpses of “wow” but a lot of the book was just a story to me.

Just started “The Time Machine” yesterday, and that one has a lot more promise so far. Also did “Around the World in 80 Days” somewhere in there (I love Jules Vernes’ stuff). Putting a pause on it right now though to read National Geographic with my reading time today. Those are hit and miss for me, but I can always get something out of the pictures at least.

Currently I’ve got the audio book for “The Addiction Formula” by Friedemann Findeisen. It’s all about songwriting and I’d def recommend it. It’s all about keeping the energy level of the song flowing.

You have to start somewhere when you’re a n00b

Currently reading “Filth” by Irving Welsh, the same writer as Trainspotting. I got inspired to read it after seeing the movie they made, which is utterly absurd scottish trash. It’s fantastic.

The book is hard to read, It’s written with so much scottish slang and shit I can only take it in small bites - but it’s quite enjoyable.

Currently I am returning to the trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson about the colonisation of Mars. It is three thick books and it requires some dedication but it is worth it.

Currently bouncing between

and

The first being some of the most imaginative literature ever written, the second a very complete and somewhat academic history of tabletop and role playing games. Yeah, pretty nerdy.

I can supply list here but it will be ONLY training books. i read only manuals and how tos and guides books and etc.

In fact, I do not read fiction.

Probably the most curious book I have read recently was “Entering the Circle” by Olga Kharitidi concerning her experiences with the shaman of the Altai Mountains of Siberia. It provided much food for thought.

Hey, I’m right there with you.
The only fiction I read is a bit of Terry Pratchett I read to my wife every night before bed. :slight_smile:

Otherwise, it’s all non-fiction.
Mostly physics, astrophysics, cosmology, and bronze-age history.

Love documentaries as well.

What are you reading?

Cheers,
Jayson