Software vs hardware

Redundant thread maybe…

What do you like or hate about both…

Software
pro:
with some critical thinking you can fulfill your musical imagination…

Con:
Sitting in front of computer…

Hardware
pro:
can jam and play live shows easier…
Also spur of the moment jam sessions may produce bangers…

Con:
I’m assuming the wiring…and getting it to sync with software

It took some self control on my part to not make this thread title an innuendo.

Fyi I’m still a software punk.
I’m not a hardware knight yet.

Im still an asshole though…I’m working on it.

Edit: Will delete when I am able to.

So for me, the big difference is that using hardware forces me to really focus on whatever my hardware is actually capable of (which isn’t much compared to my DAW), which has taught me a lot of neat tricks that I can use on hardware or software now.

For example, I have a bog-standard subtractive hardware synth. Two oscillators mixed into the filter with some envelopes and LFOs. The effects on it are “meh”. So, if I want to make something sound good and have fun playing with it, I had to get good at subtractive synthesis. No covering it up with wild sequencing or loads of effects in a wild mix to try and sell it as something interesting, I had to learn tricks that make stuff sound good. So I came up with some ideas at that keyboard that I wouldn’t have had otherwise, like sending an envelope to oscillator mix and detuning the oscillators to a 5th so that every time I hit a note it sounds like I hit two. Or just realizing how important dynamics can (and should) be when you’re programming a patch - it should respond to changes in midi way beyond just changing pitch.

And again, I bring all those ideas back into how I work with software now, so I can think in this way and do this cool stuff with all my software now. But I don’t think I have the discipline that I could force myself to just make the sounds I want in one piece of software, so I couldn’t have learned these lessons in my DAW. That’s what I take from hardware.

Pointless argument endlessly continued by elitist tards.

Lock thread if necessary…shrug.

Having done both I think it is money vs. personal preference.

The only real advantage hardware has is stability for live performance and software’s is price. While plenty of people rely on it a MIDI controller and software has never = hardware (for me).

I also think the Gearslutz mentality has ruined a lot of people’s ideas about what a hardware setup can/has to be. You don’t have to have a room full of gear you need to dust. I don’t mind saying I accumulated a lot of debt getting as close to that as I could and while I had a lot of fun dicking around it was the worst music I ever made in my life.

So many people would be really, really happy–I think–owning a couple essential pieces of gear really made for the kind of music they make. So much has audio over USB now you hardly need to invest in an audio interface even. I can think of three people including myself from the hardware thread right now that are trying to figure out a minimal hardware setup that will be fun and efficient.

Frankly, my experience has taught me that the average hobby electronic musician is going to make better and more music using software.

The top reason I like hardware is the same reason the dude down the street owns a couple guitars and amps. We just like to fiddle around on the instruments that make our favorite music. If I’m going to make something for people to download and play in a set, you better bet your ass that is a DAW-heavy track if I’m making it.

Its the same thing only in software i can do it faster and i dont need to chain 3 times my eq if i need extreme equalization

Tho i dont talk about synthesizers and other machines only effects

I also want to note that it is easier to work with the software later if I twisted the hardware as you want and looked at what it is capable of and what your computer is capable of

quote…
When creating these samples, what gear do
you use? Do you find there’s a big difference
between hardware and software processing?
MS: “We do not use hardware al all for this stuff. A
software sampler used with a sequencer does the
job. Hardware would lead to the same results,
with the only difference being that it would take
much longer.”

Good point…but you cant beat the fun you would have with gear.

I do.

Edit: Will delete when I am able to.

I work on a computer for 40+ hours a week, and the spend a goodly amount of time doing home stuff on a computer like banking, bills, shopping, etc.

The computer is great, but I don’t sit there feeling inspired to make music. I’ve tried, and it doesn’t go anywhere for me. I’ve also used hardware for many years and that’s where I’m most comfortable.

That said, I don’t only use hardware because that’s stupid too. Personally, I find jamming on hardware, then recording, editing, and mixing in a DAW, is what works for me, and ultimately, “what works for you” is really the only question you need to answer.

As probably one of the only ones that uses solely hardware.

Cons: Can be expensive, takes up a lot of room. It is usually slower for certain things, but I personally don’t consider that to be a bad thing.

Pros: Not having to deal with computer glitches, while I’m concentrating on music, or updates screwing things up.

I personally feel that my music sounds better since moving to just hardware. Not being able to put an EQ or compressor on all and sundry to me is a big plus and not a negative, but at the the end of the day, whatever gets you the sound you want and the place you want to go, is all that really matters.