Softsynths & FX Thread

I checked out Twin v3 now and I have to say I don’t like the UI as much as I expected. Imho it looks good and the workflow is not really more complicated than in v3, but it just feels a bit strange to use for me. For some reason it really stresses me out that the env display partly overlaps the filter display. From what I have seen, there are 4 oscs instead of 3, a few more very basic effects and that’s basically it… So I guess I will pass on it.

Would be awesome to have something that does what Iris does with the time-dependent graphical Filter, but the similarities seem to be limited to the resynthesis. The filter section in the Halion spectral osc looks like a normal EQ to me. I could be wrong of course, just looked at some pictures.

Anyone hip to an iOS synth that is good for (in order of importance) pads, atmospheric sounds and SFX. I have AUM, FX apps and plenty of synths I can all combine in AUM but it would be nice to have a single go to app for that stuff.

No idea really but I read somewhere that there is an iOS thingy for Sugarbytes Aparillo which is an FM Synth with a simple and nice interface. I would usually vote for a nice wavetable synth, but not sure which ones are available for that platform - I think the ones I like are not.

Ill check in on those ideas. It may not be ideal as it is a groovebox app but I do have a wavetable based Korg Electribe app.

I don’t use iOS per se - I have an iPad which I never use to make music, despite thinking once I might want to try that. This is how I know that SynthMaster One is available. Probably a good one to work with.

Cool! Thanks : ) I don’t use my iPad to make whole tracks, but it is a nice platform to run a single synth app and some FX and run it into a sampler to record. I hadn’t heard of SynthMaster One, will peep : )

Cool! Thanks : ) I don’t use my iPad to make whole tracks, but it is a nice platform to run a single synth app and some FX and run it into a sampler to record. I hadn’t heard of SynthMaster One, will peep : )

Not sure how I didn’t see this post the first time around, but…

For most people, Falcon and Halion are definitely overkill… or just Kontakt clones. Some people don’t even tweak a single parameter, and just use the premade sound libraries on them. Others like to get in there, overload it with FX, uncover the weird feedback devices, and eventually discover the scripting engine (both have these, BTW) to control crazy levels of detail and basically build their own instruments entirely.

I picked up Falcon a year and a half ago and I still love exploring its depth, but it feels a lot like a modular synth complete with its own development environment under the disguise of being a regular VST. I haven’t even mastered the entire API yet and it has quite a lot of tricks up its sleeve in that department. I think 99% of people would be so much happier with Vital than Falcon or Halion (especially since the WT counterparts are basically just a shitload of pre-stocked WTs when you can technically import your own in all 3 environments), but for the extreme dorks it’s a lot of fun for other reasons.

I can’t really speak for those who just use them as Kontakt clones because most of the libraries are pretty lackluster (not to mention the price point on doing so is horrible), but to each their own